Repurposing smartphones.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, May 28, 2012.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I could only find a pre-review (my wording):
    Samsung Stratosphere Preview

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

3. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Thanks for finding that.

A nice feature set, comparable to my Galaxy S. WITH a keyboard.

Cost would definitely knock the Droid 4 out of consideration.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Well, that's basically what it is. Or rather it's an upgraded Samsung Epic with 4G, and the Epic was a Galaxy S with a keyboard. It's a nice gadget, and I like it. Rooting is almost essential due to the amount of crapware. And I kind of wish it had a dual-core processor. But otherwise it serves very well.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Since rooting my Epic I am finding that it has been serving me quite well. I still like having a keyboard for the few times that I want to go web surfing on my phone.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4g using Tapatalk

7. LandSurveyor

So another new entry here. I mentioned in another thread that my Pre Plus had for some reason stopped working as a telephone. I could no longer hear people on the other end. I replaced it quickly enough with an inexpensive feature phone so I hope that problem is solved.

But voice seems to be the only thing affected. In fact I had just been swapping texts with my brother on the same day voice went on the fritz.

I hated to see that well-made device go in the drawer so I decided to let it become my new music player on the go. It doesn't like wma so I had to switch to mp3. For some reason, the album art didn't transfer but that's no biggie.

The Imagio is bulkier but it's still being used as an alarm clock so it will stay at my bedside.

On another note, I had a thought today that if I get a more modern tablet, I might use the Touchpad as a wall or desk clock plus picture viewer.

jigwashere likes this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I saw an article about a cellular based a luggage tracker today and thought of this thread. The yearly rate on the tracker ($13/yr) would actually be tough to be beat, but there might be some circumstances where an old phone might still make a better fit.

If you were using it as an anti-theft device for your car and hardwired a charger in out of sight, an old smartphone with tasker or automaters like it could offer a lot of additional very custom features. Only way I can think of to beat the low service fee on that dedicated unit would be to wire in a separate netzero hotspot with the free data. Not exactly a chic solution, but potentially very powerful.

Just a thought.

hal likes this.
  9. LandSurveyor

That's certainly more far-reaching than anything I thought of.

10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I feel like there's a newer thread on this topic, but this was the most recent I found in my search, apologies.

I've got an original moto G I used to use as a music player and recently acquired a fitbit flex (fitness tracker, just a band, no screen). I mostly exercise on a treadmill and am happy with it's display and a spreadsheet for tracking purposes. Knowing how far and how fast I'm going makes it easier to gradually improve.

I recently started using a simply fit balance board, and liked it a lot, but hated not being able to do more than time my exercises, not having measurable data about intensity. The fitbit registers the exercise as if I was walking, since it involves arm swinging, so I can use the step count as a measure of intensity. I guess people wear fitbits all day to measure all activity, but I just use it as a dedicated simply fit tracker, and my moto G lets me actually see what it's tracking.

The moto G was a freebie many years ago and the fitbit was a freebie more recently, so I take special cheapskate pleasure in making these work for me. I power down my moto g after exercise the fitbit seems to sleep pretty efficiently, so both batteries are holding up well enough I might be able to charge once a week or maybe even every other week.

Yeah, I could have installed the fitbit app on my regular device, but when I saw the long list of permissions, I balked. The G is signed into android on a junk gmail account, so there's a lot less info for fitbit to creepily try and vacuum up. As a bonus, with two screens I can keep a close watch on my step count on my G while watching netflix on my Z Play to distract me from the unpleasantness of physical exertion.