Repurposing smartphones.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, May 28, 2012.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

I just wish all phones sold in the U. S. had a SIM so one could change devices at will. GSM is so convenient.

Mi An likes this.
  2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Thankfully, Verizon has fully embraced SIMs for their 4G devices. The only remaining carrier that's introducing devices without a SIM is Sprint.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I think LandSurveyor's point was that GSM phones can typically be used on other GSM networks. Verizon is still CDMA, so having a SIM doesn't make a difference (domestically -- you can use their phones on international GSM networks).

4. LandSurveyor

Partly, but I was referring to the ability to switch phones on the same network by simply moving a SIM from one device to another. If it is now possible to switch between two Verizon phones by changing out SIMs just as easily as I do with my Tmo devices, then I would be happy.

I doubt we'll ever get to a point where any phone here can be used on any network. That would require every phone to be loaded with radios for different networks working on different (although still classified LTE) networks on different wavelengths. Even I don't see that as practical.

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I don't know about Verizon, but switching phones on Sprint's network is pretty easy. I can do it on their website, via a phone call, and maybe even through the phone (haven't tried it yet). But you're right -- being able to simply pull out a SIM card from one phone and plop it into another to activate it would be nice.

6. Adama D. Brown

True, but that's less the case with GSM than ever before. With T-Mobile specializing on 1700/2100, AT&T going 700/850/1900, there's a lot of phones which wouldn't work right if you swapped the other carrier's SIM into them. If they don't have the bands, they might as well be as different as CDMA and GSM.

It is indeed. When I accidentally broke my Samsung Stratosphere back in February or so, I was able to quickly and easily switch the SIM card to a backup and carry on perfectly.

It might be practical once all networks are all LTE; at that point it shouldn't be any harder than designing a penta-band GSM phone is now. You'd have LTE 700/850/1700/1900/2100, which would cover all the US carriers. Catch is, the carriers mostly have incentives to not have that happen, but it still might.

jigwashere likes this.
  7. LandSurveyor

That's good to know.

Since you mention the Stratosphere, is there a review here? I musta missed it.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

My understanding is that all LTE is not compatible carrier to carrier.

9. weegie

weegie Mobile Deity

Yeah there's quite a few LTE bands.
    My HTC One XL supports GSM,WCDMA,LTE, although LTE is only going to be trialled here by Telecom NZ in latter 2012 [not much of the year left] and I'm presuming it will be either 1800/2600 which is what my device supports.
    I have sims to use from a couple of the carriers depending on who has a good monthly special on prepaid data but usually stick to vodafone being that it's GSM and gives better battery life, plus the fact that because VF and Telecom are basically a duopoly they tend to price match specials anyway, but if the other minor player had great pricing all of a sudden I like the option of going and buying one of their sims

Attached Files:

10. Adama D. Brown

There isn't, actually. We never reviewed the Stratosphere when it first came out; I know about it because I own one as my personal phone.

There's supposed to be a Stratosphere II in the pipeline, though, which is reputed to boast a larger, better screen, and a Snapdragon S4 chip which makes it sound like a pretty impressive device. I'm really hoping for the chance to use one.

Without knowing exactly what details you're referring to, I really can't make an educated guess as to compatibility. The point though is that if all the carriers were pure LTE, it wouldn't theoretically be impossible to build a phone that would work on all of them.