Repurposing smartphones.

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by LandSurveyor, May 28, 2012.

1. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

My trusty old Zen music player seems on its last legs so I've considered buying a new device, such as a Galaxy Player, to replace it.

Then I remembered that I still have my lightly-used Imagio just sitting in a box. In my currently straitened circumstances, it seemed silly to spend more money for something I already have. I have too many old pdas and phones stashed around as it is.

The Imagio even has an FM receiver that works pretty well.

So I bought a 16gb card and loaded it with my music and have the device charged and ready.

It's been doing double duty as a backup alarm clock and has a surprisingly long battery life. I had left it running for several days recently before noticing that I had left wifi on. It makes me wonder how much juice was being used when actively used on a cell network.

Does anybody else do stuff like this?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

755p (standalone, not on a network) does alarm duty and has been my main SheetToGo tool. There are a few games, and its a great music player with both Pocketunes and TCPMP, even more so with a 2200mAh battery.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I really like the idea of repurposing old gadgets, but I have been unsuccessful doing so. Generally, my new gadget takes over where the old one left off. In some cases, I simply stopped using the old device for its unique functions. Every now and then I might still pull out an old gadget to watch a movie or check something on the web, but only because my newer gadget is charging.

4. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I've tried to re-purpose my TX but have givn up. Sorry, i know people here disagree with my, but I just find Palm nearly unusable after Android. I have in a sense re-purposed my Nexus One, though it is more of a de-convergence. Both my N1 and my SGP5 share music player duties depending on the context. I still carry my N1 for tunes when I'm traveling light.

5. NamelessPlayer

NamelessPlayer Mobile Deity

The most I can think of would be the usual music player and digital camera (in a pinch) functions, though that's mostly thinking along the lines of an old BlackBerry Pearl 8120 that hardly has any viable apps. Even Palm OS 5 would be more viable to me, which is saying something. (And, no, I don't use it as a phone, not when it's GSM-only and I'm on Sprint. Quite a shame since basic phone functions are the only things it might still be actually good at, perhaps even better than today's smartphones.)

To be honest, one of the major limiting factors I find in repurposing old hardware would have to be software. After all the developers start moving away from a given mobile OS, eventually you just start running into all sorts of incompatibilities and kludges, often too many for my liking.

6. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Well, so far, so good. Windows Media Player still works pretty well, although, since I still have a functioning WM5 device, I'm not impressed with 6.5, especially with HTC's special sauce.

Still got a perfectly good Aceeca but can't do much with it since I don't use Palm Desktop any more. It would be easier if it had wifi but mine is an earlier model.

Since my son is finally tiring of his basic phone, I may dig out my old Motozine so he can take advantage of its good camera and radio/music player functions. He rarely phones, anyway. I have the only teenager in America who is not phonecentric.

hal likes this.
  7. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Actually not. I think SMS is far more common than using the phone with young folks. That's how I communicate with my son and, except for his girl friend, he rarely uses the phone.

8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

9. jigwashere

Dang it, Mi An, you beat me to the post!

Mi An and hal like this.
  10. jigwashere

I have to amend what I said earlier: I actually have repurposed my old smartphone. It's my new insurance policy! If my current smartphone is lost, stolen, or damaged, I'll reactivate my old smartphone. My TP2 is in its charging cradle, waiting for the opportunity to come back to life and rescue the day. My old 755p is charging again, too. In fact, I previously loaned it to my mother-in-law for a few days while she was letting her cell phone soak up the rain in her rock garden. :rolleyes:

I do hate to see all this old technology sitting idle. Most things still work about as well as they did when new. Sigh. I wish I still worked as well as when I was new.