Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brian, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Cell

New Cell Unleashed Enigma

Personally, if your thread, post or comment is focused on a subject of interest you need not to worry.......
    Anyone reading it that finds help in purchase or future options or education is the Hallmark of this Web-Site.........n/c

2. Chan Eil Fhios

Chan Eil Fhios Mobile Deity

I don't think anyone is worried. Just curious...

3. jonasolof

jonasolof Mobile Deity

That's the best explanation so far.

Also, I believe the system prevents either mutual buddyvoting or constant critizism of a particular member by demanding that votes be spread.

4. AlanJ

AlanJ Mobile Deity

On a personal note, I dont understand why people, give a bad or even good rep point without any comments, makes no sense and if you are like me you are left wondering WHY??? give the vote at all...

5. bokkie

bokkie Mobile Deity

You can get a red card but what does it really mean, I wonder? If someone has an axe to grind, then it's best aired. I will never give a red card to anyone because it covers a wide spectrum of negative feeling. Does it mean you are are ruffled, annoyed, really miffed, hacked off, livid? A green card implies favourable response where the adjective itself is not really the question, but that's not the same with red cards. You can leave a comment but I'm not sure how many would want to leave a red card and leave a personal calling card at the same time? If that holds true, then red cards are synonymous with sniping to some extent. Jonas touched upon this in his (own words) "...post Reflections on a recent revolution..." Did those who voted red against him comment directly? Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Then again, I saw nothing in the thread that suggested a green response either so we might well have seen the first attempt to foster a "buddy system" and thankfully, the (quoting Jonas again) "...system prevents either mutual buddyvoting or constant critizism...".:)

So we seem to have a check in place to maintain a balance. Was that an accidental by-product offered by vBulletin, or was it learned from experience in other forums around the world? Rep power can offer a useful insight. I don't know how much reputation needs to be spread around to turn it full circle for or against someone.

If enough people despise you that much, you'll get it from all angles. If enough people like you that much, you'll get it from all angles.:D

6. reinbeau

reinbeau Mobile Deity

I don't even bother with the rep power, it's totally subjective, judgemental, I think it'll cause more harm than good.

7. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

I expressed a similar view somewhere, perhaps earlier in this thread. After reading about how it all works, in the long run, it seems like posting a lot is more heavily weighed then quality. Because of this, as absurd as it seems, in the long run, these Rep points become meaningless, IMO, for anyone who hangs around long enough to care.

8. Brian

Brian Mobile Deity

It will be interesting to see how it plays out here then. On the notebook site it's not like that at all, helpful people are rewarded and those who aren't...well..aren't. We've found very few people actually issue negative feedback.

9. bokkie

bokkie Mobile Deity

Brian, thanks for the confirmation. I was implying (not too obviously I suspect) that it's easier to vote green than it is to vote red.:)

10. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

Let’s look at the Notebook forum mentioned:

Total members, approximately 17770.

Total number of members ranked negative 24.

Out of 24 negatively ranked members only 1 member is barely over 100 posts.

This means that only 0.135% of the membership is ranked negatively.

This also means that zero percent of the members that have posted over 126 posts have a negative rating.

According to the first post in this thread, this is how the system works:

You get one point for every 365 days registered
    One point for every 200 posts
    One point for every 100 you receive from others

Let’s use our most prolific poster as an example. Anders is generally like by most everybody. Let’s assume that this was not the case and that most everybody didn’t like him. Here’s how it plays out in my estimation.

Assumptions:

We have 200 active members including some that mostly lurk. Non registered members who just read the threads for information can’t vote. Out of 200 active members, some will not vote due to apathy, ignorance or conscientious objection (Ann). You can only vote positive or negative for one member just once as you need to “spread it around” to be able to vote on this person again. The possibility of some people getting to the point of being able to vote twice on one memeber is about equal to those that don’t vote at all, so for this discussion I’m assuming 200 voters.

Anders after 1 year:

5000 posts.

25 Rep points awarded based on simply a large amount of posts.

1 Rep point for being a member for 1 year

Let’s say that 80% of the members don’t like Anders. Again, we all know that everyone really likes Anders. This could equally apply to me or Jonas or anyone one else that is fairly active.

200 times 80% equals 160

160 negative votes
    40 positive votes
    Net 120 negative votes
    Total effect minus 1 point

Ander’s total if most everyone likes him is plus 27
    Ander’s total if most everyone dislikes him is plus 25

Minimal impact, IMO.

Disclaimer: Brian, sorry about disagreeing with you, please don’t ban me. :D

Anders, if you take this wrong, PM me and I’ll do a search and replace and substitute Bokkie for Anders. :D

edit: adjusted down the inadvertent large font

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.