Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brian, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bokkie

bokkie Mobile Deity

I can assure you your red icon was not my doing. "OT crap" is too short, way too short for my literary style - or lack of it. I wondered about the grey icons as well. If you can either approve or disapprove as the only choice, then where does the grey fit in if we know what red and green are? Maybe one of the mods can explain that?

2. jonasolof

jonasolof Mobile Deity

Grey is neutral. However, one can't give a neutral vote, only approve or disapprove of a post. It seems you start gray, you can probably end up grey also if positive and negative votes balance out.

Furthermore, you can't just vote on one forum member over and over, the system will tell you that you have to spread some more votes before you're allowed to vote again on a particular member's post.

3. Chan Eil Fhios

Chan Eil Fhios Mobile Deity

Actually, I think the square represents the status of the person who voted for you. Negative, neutral or positive.

4. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

Ann asked this exact question and it was answered by Brian in this very thread....

5. jonasolof

jonasolof Mobile Deity

Is this really so? I saw Brian's answer and the suggested implications in subsequent posts.

I had four votes for my decidedly impopular post "Reflections on a recent revolution). Three were red and one was green. With that, my status changed from grey to red. I doubt that those three red ones were from people who themselves had red status, actually, from the juxtaposed comments, I rather think they had green status.

Then a "member" with red status said he'd given me a red vote. That never showed up. Will all votes count, even from those with red ratings?

(BTW, in his classical book "Reflections on the Revolution in France" Edmund Burke analyzed the exagerations during the revolution and the consequences these had on the following events. It's required reading in political theory. Just to explain the caption).

6. Nora

Nora Mobile Evangelist

Glad to hear that. So any negative stuff I get with novella attached should be attributed to you, eh? ;) Actually, I think giving a negative rep vote is pretty passive aggressive, which I gather is also not your style. :)

7. Nora

Nora Mobile Evangelist

How do you know this, Jonas?? :D

8. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

The forum software is new so it's very possible that the Admins answer was incorrect. OTOH, looking at my feedback, I have an even number of red and green but a decidedly positive number for a rating. It's certainly not very clear cut. The VB manual gives a fair amount of detail on how Reputation works but I don't see any mention on this particular issue.

9. Nora

Nora Mobile Evangelist

Same experience here. I had red status for a day when one person gave me negative feedback. Apparently said person thinks a question of ignorance (MapSource) is worthy of disapproval. Since then my rating in my CP is the sum of votes, with red = -1 and green = 1. I did read this whole thread, and the answers didn't make sense to me. Esp with my one gray vote. The rep subject is mighty mysterious.

10. Chan Eil Fhios

Chan Eil Fhios Mobile Deity

Perhaps it's a combination of the two:
    A green person votes for you you get a green mark
    A green person votes against you, you get a red mark
    A grey person votes for or against you you get a grey mark
    A red person votes for or against you and it goes to the bit bucket...everyone knows their opinion doesn't count:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.