Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brian, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Mobile Deity

That should be the proper rep icon of the person who left the feedback.

2. apersson850

apersson850 Mobile Deity

Aha. I thought they were giving me bad or good feedback, but it's the rep of the one who gives, then.

3. bokkie

bokkie Mobile Deity

If you want to know more about reputations have a look at this from the official vBulletin online documentation. It explains the levels. Hope I ain't let anything out of the bag here?

4. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

Here's a quote from the link to the manual Bookie provided:

"Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content."

Additionally you get more points simply by posting a lot.

I'm really not so sure I like this. It seems to me that if you say something that everyone agrees with then you will get an increase in your rating and when you disagree you get penalized. I don't see how this facilitates an open dialog amongst the members. It seems more like a popularity contest and also that it encourages people to post more often then necessary.

I remember one of our members being greeted by an "oldtimer" here a bit rudely and then he pointed out that the new member doesn't even have any "reputation" points so he must be worthless (implied). This misunderstanding was patched up but the labeling evidently exists.

Another example; everyone starts with 1 point. Jonas recently made an unpopular statement. It doesn't matter whether or not I agree with him but I certainly want him to be able to speak his mind. Now he has no "Rep" points.

BTW, in case anybody misinterprets this, I AM NOT suggesting we all go to another forum!! :newpalm:

Go ahead, give me a good rating on this post, you know you want to. :newpalm:

5. jmckie

jmckie Mobile Deity

The mechanism is far from perfect, but if you average it out, it would mean something. Newbies and occasional readers would benefit the most, because they would get a sense if the person who replied to them is trustworthy or a troll. However, I don't think people take it all that seriously.

6. reinbeau

reinbeau Mobile Deity

Actually, if you read the VBulletin manual that was posted, it says to be careful about the implementation of the Reputation stuff, I guess they're aware it can lead to problems.

7. Chan Eil Fhios

Chan Eil Fhios Mobile Deity

I'm sorry, you're only a one, I couldn't possibly accept your arguments for accepting Rep Power as valid.
    :D:D

8. Brian

Brian Mobile Deity

So far it's been very friendly, but if it's a problem, we can always turn it off. We have 17,500+ members at our notebook site, so far it's been okay there.

9. New Cell

New Cell Unleashed Enigma

I enjoy competition shooting mainly pistol....
    The range officer controls each and every event. He monitors every contestant and if we break the 180' plain which can lead to disaster, he can DQ (disqualify) you.......
    Your day is over and you may watch or go home.......
    In this case, I believe the Administrator of Bargain has the same functional rule.......
    Play by my rules or go home..........n/c

10. reinbeau

reinbeau Mobile Deity

Oh, there's no question that you should play by the rules, no one likes trolls! :eek: But there are people who will give others a bad rating just because they can - or to cause trouble. That's what I was referring to. Ultimately I don't care, because I always try to be true to myself, act in a respectful manner, and not provoke an argument - although it's not beyond me to fight back if I feel it necessary!

In other words, behave yourself :D (referring to myself) and no one will ask you to leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.