Relationships

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by VampiressRN, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VampiressRN

VampiressRN James Bond Addict

OK...this could turn out to be a hot bed of controversy, but let's hear what you think constitutes a good relationship (friends, lovers, parents, children, pets, etc.), and along with that...things that blow the relationship right out of the water. What makes you stay and what makes you leave? Is the relationship worth saving if it gets in trouble and how do you manage that? Remember....what happens at BH...stays at BH.

Gonna start us off with an obnoxious joke, so chime right in and give us your solicited opinion.

=======================================
    THE HUSBAND STORE

A store that sells new husbands has just opened in New York City, where a woman may go to choose a husband. Among the instructions at the entrance is a description of how the store operates:

You may visit this store ONLY ONCE! There are six floors and the
    value of the products increase as the shopper ascends the flights.

The shopper may choose any item from a particular floor, or may
    choose to go up to the next floor, but you cannot go back down except to exit the building!

So, a woman goes to the Husband Store to find a husband.

On the first floor the sign on the door reads:
    Floor 1 - These men Have Jobs.
    `
    `
    `
    The second floor sign reads:
    Floor 2 - These men Have Jobs and Love Kids.
    `
    `
    `
    The third floor sign reads:
    Floor 3 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, and are Extremely Good Looking. "Wow," she thinks, but feels compelled to keep going.
    `
    `
    `
    She goes to the fourth floor and sign reads:
    Floor 4 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Good Looking and Help With Housework. "Oh, mercy me!" she exclaims, "I can hardly stand it!"
    `
    `
    `
    Still, she goes to the fifth floor and sign reads:
    Floor 5 - These men Have Jobs, Love Kids, are Drop-dead Gorgeous, Help With Housework, and Have a Strong Romantic Streak.
    `
    `
    `
    She is so tempted to stay, but she goes to the sixth floor and the
    Sign reads: Floor 6 - You are visitor 31,456,012 to this floor.
    There are no men on this floor. This floor exists solely as proof that women are impossible to please.

Thank you for shopping at the Husband Store.

===========
    To avoid gender bias charges, the store's owner opens a
    New Wives store just across the street.
    `
    `
    `
    The first floor has wives that love sex.
    `
    `
    `
    The second floor has wives that love sex and have money.
    `
    `
    `
    The third through sixth floors have never been visited.

2. VampiressRN

Right on the top of my list for a good relationship (with anyone/thing) is:

TRUST
    RESPECT
    EQUALITY
    OPEN COMMUNICATIONS
    SECURITY

3. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Ok, I will be the first of the relationsihp losers to post (come on - I know there are others out there ). To tell the truth, relationships (romantic) have screwed me up so much that I am not sure what consitutes a good relationship at any level.

I can tell you that I do not TRUST women after my ex had no RESPECT for our relationship. Of course she claimed that there was no EQUALITY in our emotional responses (I needed them she saw no use for them). Of course she did not COMMUNICATE this OPENLY until after she thought the relationship was over. Now I have no SECURITY in any relationship!

Sorry for the downer. I will come back with a good relationship joke :)

4. VampiressRN

MP...that is not really a downer....it is part of life and I can honestly say ditto to your thoughts. I am not a person to be mean to others or be dishonest, so I don't understand it when people are like that. After 16 years of marriage, at one of the meetings during the divorce proceedings my ex said to me "Can we be friends, I really want to be your friend." Well that was like twisting the knife in me and I said "You should have been my friend when we were married, it is too late now." That was probably the bravest thing I ever said to him after he had been so cruel to me in the end. I am glad we never had kids.

The upside now....when you have a bad situation you extract yourself from, you can either learn from it or you can go blindly into another bad relationship. I learned from mine, and will never put myself in a bad situation again.

I have a few really close friends, and many many good friends. I respect my friendships and do not abuse them. My best friend is my dog...I tell her everything, we have been together for over 12 years and she loves me unconditionally. It is good to come home to someone that is happy to see me. That is the way a loving relationship is supposed to be, and I applaud people that have that luxury.

5. VampiressRN

Which makes me think of our love-hate relationships with our Palms. We love them when they work correctly, but when they screw up, we are kinda scared of them and silently we hate them......until we love them again. :p

6. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Let's look closely at VampiressRN's post about what makes a good relationship:

TRUST
    RESPECT
    EQUALITY
    OPEN COMMUNICATIONS
    SECURITY

Sheesh, Vampy, if all you want is a Palm gadget guy all you have to do is say so!

7. VampiressRN

LMFAO....only you would see the deep dark secrets I hide from the world. :p

8. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

OMG! That's too funny!

I've been through two marriages thus far in my half century, the first of 13 years ended horribly and affected me for many years afterwards.

My second (and last) made me feel like I won the "wife lottery"! We've been together for 10 years now. :)

Caution: The following is WyreNut's personal opinion, and not necessarily the one shared by Ed/BrightHand Inc. By continuing to read this post, you Agree not to hold BrightHand Inc. liable for anything you want to sue them for.

I think a good relationship is like trying to land a large fish with light line - you have to know when to reel in, and let out line! Pull too hard, and the line will snap, let out too much and you might lose the fish as it works out the hook...

Women and Men have different emotional needs, and for success both members of the relationship have to recognize the basic requirements of each.

Women need to feel like they are needed, appreciated, complimented on how well they look, and thrive on unexpected gifts that show you are Thinking About Them! Men are brutes who normally just need water, food. light, and heat to survive. Oh, and a bathroom too. Men need space to enjoy hobbies, which drive women crazy (why doesn't he want to be with me!?), but again it's due to the way we're each designed. Men aren't normally inclined to show the attention women need, and women can't understand the need of men to be alone, or with the guys sometimes...

The secret is for both sexes to actually Work at the relationship and fight "inertia". Realize that doing nothing in a relationship will end it! Men ~have~ to show attention, women ~have~ to leave their guys alone sometimes.

Wow Vampy, what brought this post on?

WyreNut

9. kernel

kernel Mobile Deity

A tricky one - to say the least!

When my first wife and I split up we had to go to counselling - this is a legal requirement in NZ before you can apply for a divorce. Beth and I managed to handle the counselling ok, but the counsellor had a few hangups that he needed to seek help with - the whole breakup had come out of the blue, and I was feeling pretty devastated at the tme. He asked me what my feelings were, and, as I think many people in my position at the time would have done, I answered along the lines of "Well, it'll be a while before I trust a woman again." Much to my surprise, the counsellor's answer was "I hope you're not going to turn gay on us." - which I thought at the time was not only none of his business, but was also not what I had in mind either. Both Beth and I agreed it was a rather unusual comment for someone in his position to make. Beth and I have managed to remain good friends, and our son has freely moved between our households since he was 3.5 years old (he'll be 22 next week).

My second wife and I have been together for nearly 16 years (our first date was the night of my son's 5th birthday), and we celebrated our 7th wedding aniversary 27 Dec last - Sue is a special lady - she is definitely on the heavy side, is pretty but will never win a beauty competition, but she is my lady and that's what matters.

I don't know that I can define what makes a good relationship, but what I do know is that we"fit" together as a couple - as far as I'm concerned, what makes a good relationship is that it "feels right".

Mike.

10. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Isn't it all down to how long the batteries last?

<Streaky dons helmet and ducks.>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.