Recover dbs from NVbackup on sd card

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by bluefish, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

Hey gang...bom dia and all that...
    Got a little problem and I thought that the excellent collective mind would have an answer (even JoeBoy perhaps :D ).

My last old Palm device, a TE2 just died and there is no PC backup of my files. All I have is the NVbackups on an sd card.

Is there a way of getting the normal databases like contacts from the backup and onto a PC application of some sort. I have Win7 64 bit and a Win7 netbook...well it's the Mrs's netbook actually, but then so was the TE2.

I look forward to any sort of reply, even the rude ones:newpalm:as usual.

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

You can certainly recover the dbs-- NVBackup just stored all the files in Gzip archives, which Linux should be able to unzip or, on widows, you can download 7-zip. Don't remember what format the dbs are in so I'm not as sure about reading the data bases once you have them. I've been away from Palm too long.

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

As Hook says, you'll need to extract the files, but then I think you have to run Unbackup to make them .prc or .pdb files again. I haven't tried it, myself. Unfortunately, those aren't "normal" database files. I'm not sure how you'll get your contacts recovered.

4. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

Oh poo! It seems from your invaluable answers that I can't get the data into something like Outlook or Thunderbird then. I don't run a Palm any more.

It might pay me to search the web for a cheap TE2 replacement.

Cheers guys, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

5. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Andy, glad to know about you! :)

After you UnBackup them, you can try a CSV import to Outlook. See if that works out for you. Cause it's either that, or installing a Garnet simulator and try to do it virtually. Haven't ever tried the latter myself.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Emulator software might be a worth a try. Good idea, hal!

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Anyone trustworthy enough to send the files to via email, and recover them for you? If I still had a device that had NVRam, I'd do it...

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Thanks, jig, :) but I have to point out that it's an advice I haven't done myself. I don't have the slightest idea of how good do counduits behave when they're aimed to a virtual device :confused: