Recommendations for simple music player, please.

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Mar 6, 2017.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've been using Poweramp free version while I've been away from home for 3 weeks, and I've just now paid to upgrade to the full version.

2. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Major problem with Poweramp

I've just realised that Poweramp will not work if I'm not connected to the internet. It displays a message saying it's unable to verify my purchase. Pressing the "Already purchased" button tries to connect me to the web site ... unsuccessfully of course -- with the instruction to download the "non-Play" version of the app. On connecting to the internet again I've tried to find the "non-Play" version, but can't. Sometimes it plays a few tracks before shutting down like this.

3. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

Yes, this is a problem that Raspy ran into. A discussion can be found HERE.

I've never run into this, but I'm almost always connected to the internet, and when I'm not (work) I don't have the option of playing music on my phone. :vbwink: Raspy never followed up on that thread, but I assume there isn't a lot you can do about it. I'm sure he'll stop by this thread.

jigwashere likes this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Actually, the issue is not so much with Poweramp, but with several other paid apps from the Play Store. Another discussion about this issue is here. In short, the paid apps must call home every now and then to verify that the user is actually authorized to use the app or whatever feature that was purchased. I've tried several workarounds and temporary fixes, but eventually the apps will still require internet connection when they decide it's time to verify status. If offline, then the app or feature refuses to work. A couple of years ago I spent a lot of time offline, so this was a major issue, because programs would refuse to work. Since then the cellphone coverage in my work area has improved, so I spend almost 100% online. But I still see some in-app purchases fail sometimes. The only permanent "solution" is to go online and let the app contact google.

That said, what annoys me about Poweramp is that it uses an "unlocker" app, which is the one the user purchases and installs on the phone. IMO the unlocker should be all that's needed for Poweramp to determine its status. It shouldn't be necessary to get the program online.

jigwashere, Mi An, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for that explanation. I think Poweramp is the only paid app I've got, and most of the time I use it I've got WiFi connection, which explains why I haven't come across the problem before now. But a couple of times now, sitting in my car waiting to meet someone, it's shut down within a few minutes (I normally don't use 3G).

There were suggestions in the threads you've linked that (a) the problem might be solved by a Poweramp update which came out while that thread was current (2014) and, (b) the problem might be device-specific. For the record my Poweramp was first installed in 2017, and my device is a Samsung Galaxy S5.

At least I've still got the default Samsung music player to use when the internet's not available to me.

6. raspabalsa

The problem hasn't been fully solved as of today. There is a new version of Poweramp in development, but it's been more than a year in development, the beta has been delayed several months, but it's possible it will be released sometime this year. The bad news is that this new version does not address the issue with the registration scheme, AFAIK it will use the same scheme to mantain backwards compatibility.

I used to feel very angry at Poweramp, cheated even, regarding this issue. Little by little I learned that this is a widespread issue, affecting many apps. In my phone I have several other apps with similar registration schemes (GPS Satellites Viewer, Auralux, Star Traders) and they all refuse to work properly whenever they feel like checking the paid status and I'm offline. Very frustrating if you're on a long plane trip or in an area with no cellphone coverage. Other apps with different reg. schemes are not affected by this issue, but I guess it's easier for developers to implement this one.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

What could be simpler than sending an upteen character key to unlock a program when you pay for it? That's the way it works on all the software I've got on my Windows PC, and I don't think it ever calls home so long as I've input the key correctly in the first place.

Perhaps Google needs to require developers using their Play Store to use a registration scheme that doesn't require internet access after the initial purchase and registration. I know I'm late joining the discussion, but the issue reflects badly on Google as well as the developer, since I thought they were sort of guaranteeing the quality of what goes through their Play Store.

Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  8. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

I don't think Google cares. Their business is based on the idea of keeping everyone always connected to the internet and they really don't care much about people who want to work offline, as is obvious from their offerings. We are a small minority. :vbrolleyes:

9. raspabalsa

Maybe I'm pushing the thread too far away from its original topic, but at the cost of playing Devil's Advocate I must say that the registration scheme in question was developed and implemented by Google itself. From what I understand, developers who publish their apps on the Play Store can choose from among several registration schemes, all of which are set by Google. In fact, whenever I've made a purchase on the Play Store I get an invoice from Google, not from the developer. In this case, Poweramp's developer is in fact complying with one of Google's sales and registration scheme.

That said <removing Devil's Advocate costume> , I agree that this registration scheme in particular does reflect bad on Google, as it affects users if and when they go offline or lack cellphone coverage. I do wish I could simply input a serial number or install an unlocker app and never again worrying about it. I have several paid apps that offer this peace of mind. Alas, Poweramp is not one of them.

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.