Recommendations for simple music player, please.

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Mar 6, 2017.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

For some time now I've been using Samsung's "Music" app to play my music stored on my Samsung S5 phone. But I've just noticed that it (a) gives me no option to play album tracks in the order they are on the album, insisting on shuffling instead, and (b) doesn't display the track duration and progress when playing a track.

I've checked out Google's "Play Music" app, but it shows albums in thumbnail format instead of a simple list which, to me, is not very user-friendly. And it seems to be more geared towards loading and/or streaming music from the internet.

So, can anybody please recommend simple free music player app that will play mp3 and wav files that are stored on my phone, will show them as a simple list instead of thumbnails, will allow me to select natural order, shuffle, or repeat, and will show the total duration and progress duration for the track that's playing?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

My main music player is GoneMAD music player. It does all you're asking for, with the possible exception of natural order; I suspect that is dependent on how the tracks are stored on your device -- if an album is ripped into a folder and there are no other tracks in that folder, vs. a folder with tracks from many different albums. It has a 14 day free trial, and currently the unlocker is on sale. Good luck!

Mi An, scjjtt, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Nexus or Nothin'

My goto music player since Gingerbread has been PowerAmp. It can do what you say. Playing albums in order requires that the files are taged with the album name and track numbers (I think that is universally true). It has a lot of features, but you can use it as simply as you like.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Mi An, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Poweramp can play in album order, but it requires that trackes have adequate tags. Another option is to manually rename the tracks to include album name, song name, and track order. Then you can sort PowerAmp's list by filename, show list by hierarchy, turn shuffle off, and PowerAmp will play in album order.

EDIT: In other words, what Hook said above :)

5. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks guys. Since it gets 2 votes in 3 posts, I'll give PowerAmp a try.

What has puzzled me is I used to be able to do everything I listed, but I don't know if my Samsung Music has lost some features during an automatic upgrade, or if I was using some other similar-looking player previously and lost it when I changed my phone.

scjjtt likes this.
  6. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Google Play Music is indeed oriented toward streaming music online, but plays local content as well. It does show small thumbnails of the album cover in the list, but it's not that big. One advantage is that it knows the track numbers of almost every album published, so it can play almost anything in album order, unless you've ripped albums that Google doesn't know about, and the track numbers weren't included. That's not highly likely, but still possible. Other players I've tried know nothing about track numbers unless they were included during the rip. I don't know about your music. I haven't used anything other than Google's player in a long time, because it works so well for me. YMMV.

Mi An, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Well, I used Poweramp for my listening session last night and, as you said, it does everything I want. But it costs money for the full version :-( Its display also looks more fussy than I'm used to, and when playing a track I can't find a way to jump straight back to browse the other tracks in the album while the selected track is still playing -- pressing the phone's back/return button jumps me to the phone's home screen instead; pressing Poweramps treble cleff symbol takes me back to the selection screen, so a couple more taps and a bit of scrolling are needed to get back to the album I was browsing and playing.

But at least it plays my tracks in natural order, so when I'm listening to opera the scenes don't get all jumbled up.

SGosnell, your post arrived while I was typing, thank you. The only thing that really puts me off Google Play Music is I can't see how to show my albums, tracks, or artists in simple list format, instead of four or nine thumbnails.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    scjjtt likes this.
  8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

You can browse other tracks in Poweramp without stopping the music or changing tracks. On the main screen, just tap on the name of the track that is currently playing, that will take you directly to the browser, right in the same folder of the track that's currently playing. If you have your list set to sort by filename, with a hierarchy, you'll be able to browse music as if in a file manager, and from here you can play or enqueue single files or full folders.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  9. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Ok, I've got it. Thank you raspsbalsa.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

In the Google Music app, tap on the hamburger icon top left, then "music library". There you can select, across the top, either stations, artists, albums, songs, or genres, and get a list of those.

RickAgresta likes this.