Rebirth of The Psion Keyboad PDA?

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Hook, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

With the usual skepticism for crowdfunded technology projects, this certainly gives me a lot of drool to clean up. :vbwink:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone#/

Will be interesting to see if they ever pull it off. Sounds like they are trying to pull off those specs for $600. The trouble with most tech crowdfuding is they tend to underestimate the problems of supply chain and often can't get the sales volume to make the specs they desire affordable.

However, this would be sweet and I love that they are calling it a PDA. One can dream, but I think M An's Moto Mod is probably a better gamble. :vbrolleyes:

Will keep watching.:newpalm:

2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

It's pretty cool. Might be a toss up as to which is more risky, the mod I like or this PDA. The mod can rely on motorola to provide the chipset, screen and other complex and expensive parts which saves money and a lot of potential problems. On the other hand, only people willing to buy/use moto hardware can use it. Anyone can use this if they're willing to pay the piper and still use their favorite brand of smartphone (Nexus, perhaps?). That means more potential supporters and a bigger buffer against inevitable problems to come.

Moto Z is a hit by Motorola standards, and the mods are supposed to be for 3 generations, but I think a lot of the friction to people who might like the keyboard I've been touting is they'd rather not get a Moto Z. In part because I increasingly get the impression that the super thin flagship Z isn't the most popular Z. People tend to brag more about the Play and Force and flagship Z pricing has been more aggressively discounted from the start than the other models, indicating that they're having some trouble selling it. The Play doesn't have flagship specs and the 1st gen Force is VZW only, so both leave a lot of people out.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Even if (and that's a big, juicy IF) this Psion modernized concept can be made with their 500k+ funding, I don't see them going from concept to shipping in Nov 2017. If they had a fully functional demo model, sure, but I have a hard time believing they're going from zero to shippable in a tiny dual boot computer for $600 in 6 months. Sounds like a fantasy to me.

4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

True, though for crowdfunded hardware, delivering very late is like being a little early anywhere else. I think most backers, and probably especially those backing a product like this, assume delays are inevitable.

At this point, if you gave a truly realistic time to ship, it'd probably confuse the crap out of potential backers. They'd have to try and figure out if it would really come 1 year later as advertised, or if they should double the time to delivery like normal.

5. LandSurveyor

LandSurveyor LandSurveyor

Neat but I doubt it will work.

Personally, I would wish for the return of the Nokia Communicator :).

scjjtt likes this.
  6. Hook

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

If you ever need people to help you justify any ill-advised tech purchase, we got your back! :newpalm:

8. Sony Walkman WM-FX2

Sony Walkman WM-FX2 Newbie

It got unveiled at CES today!!!!!!1 It's happening people!!!!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE THE PDA

Mi An, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

https://liliputing.com/2018/03/gemini-pda-handheld-pc-gets-custom-recovery-root.html

Looks like at least a few geminis are in the wild. Impressive. And since we discussed the relative riskiness above, I'll note there are a few livermorium keyboard mods in the wild too, before major production begins. It'd be a real kick if both those crowdfunds actually shipped to all their backers. I tend to think of all hardware crowdfunds as bigtime risks, and since these are also both anachronistic, I'd say doubly so.

scjjtt, jigwashere and Hook like this.
  10. Hook

Well, hell, if Deadman has his hands on this baby, this could be a serious consideration to replace my 6p if it sticks around long enough. Actually, it already is on that list. However, short of an unexpected EOL event, that might not be until 2020.

Mi An, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.