Reading documents on Palm TX?

Discussion in 'Palm' started by siskiou, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siskiou

siskiou Mobile Deity

First, I'm sorry if this has already been answered! For some reason, I get an error message when I try and use the search function here.

I have a lot of txt, rtf, docs, that I'd like to read on the Palm TX, and Docs to Go is pretty nice, but sometimes the text wraps in really annoying ways (with a full line, and then just one word in the next) and none of the options I've tried fix that.

Is there another program out there that can wrap the text so it shows up nicely on the palm screen?

Or is the problem that I just threw the documents on the sd card without going through the sync process?

Also, what kinds of docs can be opened with eReader?
    It seems I accidentally succeeded in saving one document the right way, because it shows up on the eReader book list, but I can't for my life remember how I did that!

2. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

When the lines wrap like that, it is probably a text file with hard line breaks. It will probably also look like that in Word if you make the window small enough that the whole line doesn't fit. You can fix it by slecting all the text, opening a blank word doc, select paste special and "paste as unformated unicode text.

All ereader books (must be ereader format or "doc" format, but this doc format is not the same as Word) must either in Main memory or in one of two folders on the SD card:

Palm/Launcher
    Palm/Books

There is no problem with putting documents on the SD card, the Docs-To_Go that comes with the TX reads native Office files just fine. In fact, many of us forego syncing Dos-to-Go.

3. Mi An

Mi An Hyperfocal

I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere had made a batch file for removing hard breaks in plain text and rich text files.

4. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

InterParse is a Windows-based generic text parser that is very easy and intuitive to use. Terrific for cleaning up e-books into your favorite e-book format. It would also be of great use if you had a number of files to clean up. Have used this for years, very easy to use. Freeware.

It is no longer developed/supported/downloadable from the developers site, but I found a download at MobileRead.

5. siskiou

siskiou Mobile Deity

Thanks!

I tried your advice (saving as unicode) and it came out looking great, but so tiny that I couldn't read it. Once I chose a readable font size, I was right back to the awkward line breaks.
    Am I leaving out an important step somewhere?

6. siskiou

siskiou Mobile Deity

Thanks very much, Josser! I'll give that a try!

And for some reason the forum shows up really plain right now, and I can't quote anyone.

Edited to add:
    I've downloaded the program and now my lack of skill shows!
    What exactly do I choose of the many options, to get rid of the line breaks?

And now that I've played around with it a bit, and figured out the right settings through trial and error, thanks a million! This program is a gem!

7. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

It would only come out in a really small font if word is set yo a really small font by default. Are you doing this on your TX? I meant you to do this in Word. Use a 12pt font in word and it should show up fine in Word-to-Go.

You probably accidentally changed the forum skin. At the bottom of any forum page is a drop box where you can select the different skins. Each one has different looks and features.

8. siskiou

siskiou Mobile Deity

I used a 12 pt font, and did it on my laptop in Word. No luck, though.
    It only shows up nicely wrapped on the PDA in the smallest font.

Yep, I sure did!:eek:

9. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

Glad you like it. It is not perfect, but playing around with it is a great way to learn. I still save copies between edit steps just in case, but it has never ruined a file for me.

10. siskiou

siskiou Mobile Deity

I'm so glad I can now read all my docs comfortably, and am currently trying out another document reader (iSilo).
    So far, I love it!
    Real full screen and it has options for background color and text color.
    I may just have to buy that one, when the trial is over!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.