raspy's flirtations with a smartwatch

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by raspabalsa, Apr 11, 2018.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

IP - great minds think alike! I only have few notifications come through to my watch as well. I want to see the time & weather. I too only allow Gmail to come through, since my church email is forward to my Gmail account (Gmail has a better filter than wherever our church's email host has).

I have the same feelings about the music apps coming through. I don't need it or want it. I want to be able to control it in the settings - but even with my Pebble Time Steel - I can't adjust the settings for the Music notifications - so I just have to press a button to get back to my home screen display.

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Agree on the having a smartwatch to check the time part, but not on the remote control part. :)

The problem with the former is that under bright sunlight (which is mostly the only kind I receive in these latitudes), reading the time on a LCD or something-OLED screen is too hard, defeating the purpose of the device. Of course, the same happens with any phone I've carried so far, and that's why I carry my dumbwatch everywhere. Of course things are different for office-dwellers, but I spend most of my worktime in the field. Screen technology must advance much more for true readability under direct sunlight.

Regarding the latter, the way I use my phone makes it useful to have a remote. Most of the day I keep my phone in a belt pouch, connected to my BT headset. The headset does have controls, but I find it more comfortable to tap on my wrist than to reach to my ear or fumble with the wire buttons to change track. Also, the smartwatch lets me check artist and track name without getting the phone off its pouch, and I'm guessing there's other functionality that can be added to a watch face (equalizer or other audio effects, playlists, etc.). In fact, I actually would love if the watch took over automatically when playing music, because it would save me the hassle of tapping and swiping to set the remote face. This didn't happen with the Gear Fit I tried, or maybe I didn't test it enough.

Perhaps I should again look at not-so-dumb watches, like the Casio BT models, that can control music playback. The Casio G'MIX GBA-400 seems to have the features I want, but I don't like its styling. I prefer all-steel watches. Perhaps I should just give up :(

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I would use a smartwatch vibrate to alert me to incoming calls and texts. I sometimes miss calls when out running errands and the phone is in my pocket. I used to have the LG Tone+ variety of headphone around my neck to notify me, but abandoned that money pit (they'd barely last a year). Other than that, I don't see a use for one.

4. raspabalsa

My wife has one of those, that came bundled with my G6. It's a beautiful headset worn around the neck (neckset?? :) ) with very good audio quality, but the bud wires are very thin, and the reeling mechanism is spring-loaded with - I'm guessing - a tiny spring. I often wonder how long they'll last, and worry that since my wife loves them so much and wears them almost all day, I'll have to buy another similar set if/when this one breaks down. If only you were still buying them... At least I'd have company in the pit :D

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Raspy, don't you know that whenever you find some wondrous thing that you just love, you should immediately buy multiples of said item if you can afford it? I learned this lesson the hard way and early on, when my Son was two years old and developed a deep and abiding love for a plush puppy that he named Bingo. They even had their tonsils taken out together. (Bingo has lived a long, full life and consequently had quite a few baths in the washing machine, as you can see by his lovely coat. :vbsmile: )

Bingo - Vintage 1985 Gund Muttsy Plush Puppy Tan Dog Stuffed Animal 22_NP.jpg

Mi An, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. raspabalsa

That picture reminds of my daughter's favorite plush toy: a smiling frog :D . She's kept it for almost 14 years, and it still resides in her bedroom, although it was long ago demoted from the pillow to the book shelves. The frog looks more worn than your kid's bear because when my daughter was a baby she used to drag it everywhere, even out in the street or parks. Kids, they grow so quickly it hurts!

Mi An, jigwashere, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

That Bingo has only a portion of the wear and tear. There are alternates of Bingo the Puppy Dog. It was necessary to have a spare because after Bingo's bath, he had to air-dry for 3 +/- days because of course you can't put a puppy in the dryer :vbeek: . Days of Distress without Bingo to love on would have been intolerable for all parties concerned. :vbwink:

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  8. raspabalsa

That's an unfair advantage! I never found another frog just like that, so there was some distress when it had to take a bath. Often we had to accelerate the process with a hair dryer. The frog could never be missing from the pillow at bedtime. Now that my daughter is a teenager that place of honor is occupied by the book she's currently reading or by her cellphone. She did cry when she saw Toy Story 2, and since then she's been more mindful about her old toys, passing many of them to younger cousins and friends. But not the frog.

9. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

We had a dog, now passed on, who had a favorite toy that he had to have at bed time. The toy, named lamby (okay, we named it, not junior, but he knew the name :vbwink:) was something we bought him when he was onnt a couple of months old and he had it all his life. He kept it on the bed and would toss it sometimes and it would get under things. If he couldn't find it when it was time to go to sleep, he became frantic (he was a terrier). He would get so excited when I finally found it. It also had to be washed from time to time. Lamby still has a place of honor on the nightstand next to my bed.

Damn, I miss that dog sometimes. No reflection on our current dog (see avatar) who is wonderful. :newpalm:

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Mi An and 4 others like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Hook, my sister's dog has much the same thing. It's a plush 'Angry Bird.' She has several, but one is the 'special blue one' and it's his bed-time companion. And she can tell them all apart by name.