raspy's flirtations with a smartwatch

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by raspabalsa, Apr 11, 2018.

1. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

I see your problem, Raspy -- it's not a Zenwatch. See, because I always...what? Oh, uh, I'll be right back. My two Zenwatches just notified me that my Asus Kool-aid was ready for drinking.

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

LOL

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

If both Zenwatches tell you to drink Kool-Aid, must you report the drinking on both? That would be like drinking twice. Maybe you could report half a Kool-Aid on one, and the other half on the second one. There's a useful loophole: I can wear two smartwatches simultaneously, then report half a serving of each meal on each. That should cut down on the "food counter" nagging.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

That's like thinking that having 2 wives would mean I'd only be nagged to lose 10 lbs by each. Unfortunately. . . .

5. raspabalsa

Just yesterday, as I handed the watch back to my friend, we used a similar analogy when I described how that contraption (the smartwatch!) wouldn't let me lie down for long without nagging me. Actually, I'm blessed with a wife that almost never nags me. That made it much harder for me to accept nags from a 3rd party, a newcomer even.

6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

What I really want is a pipboy. But I did read your entire piece as well, no pictures needed. I like walls of text.

I nearly bought a verizon branded white label smartwatch for no other reason than it was on a steep sale. $50, as I recall. I'm lucky they went out of stock, because as much as I've found wearables wanting, I have a really hard time resisting a good deal.

lelisa13p, Hook, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

That's not a bad idea. I've often thought how cool it would be to have a wrist holder for my phone. But then two-handed usage wouldn't work, and I'm terribly slow typing one-handed (one-thumbed?). Also, I wouldn't be able to play most games with on-screen movement controls, as usually one hand controls movement, the other executes actions.

lelisa13p, Hook, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  8. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Depends on how easy it is to release (without being easily accidentally jarred out of the holder). If it's no harder than sliding it out of a pocket, then you get enhanced accessibility for everything else, and can still slide it out if the arm band is unsuitable for something.

I doubt I could get most long shirt sleeves to slide down over something like that though. Maybe unbuttoned.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Solution: Angry Birds, or Free Cell, or Sudoku............

lelisa13p, scjjtt, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  10. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Hmmm...sometimes it seems like Mrs. Internetpilot is two wives (or more) when it comes to nagging. "What? Oh, nothing dear." (HOW DOES SHE KNOW???)

I actually have both of my Zenwatches fine-tuned to get very few notifications. I only kept a couple of useful ones active (text messages is a nice one and I also like having Gmail notify me since that's how my kids contact me from school since they can't use their smartphones). Ironically, the thing I find the most annoying is that I cannot seem to turn off the remote music/YouTube control on my watches, and as soon as I play a video or music (which is every time I get in the car for music), the remote control screen takes over my watchface and I have to swipe it away. I'm really fine controlling my music using my steering wheel controls (or heaven forbid, reach a few inches further to the button on the dashboard), and when I'm not in the car I have music controls on my headphones (whether using bluetooth or wired ones). When I'm watching a video I'm (duh) WATCHING the video (like on the screen), so why would I need a remote control on my watch when I can just tap on the screen I'm already watching?

The second-most reason I look at my smartwatch? Weather (as in current temperature for walking the dog). The top reason I look at my smartwatch? Time. Which is just crazy, but that's me. I'm a rebel.

lelisa13p, Mi An, jigwashere and 3 others like this.