raspy's Adventures with the Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy Watch

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by raspabalsa, Jan 6, 2020.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Of course we need the App to help us find non Samsung phones as well.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I just used find my phone on my watch to see if I got the message scjjtt saw. I did. What it actually said was that find my phone will continue but locate my phone, which locates the phone on a map, is going away. Hence, HC's theory of pressure from Google seems likely, but the watch will continue to be able to ring your phone if the sound is on.

To be truthful, Locate my phone hasn't been that useful since the pandemic. "Yes, I know it's in my house..." :vbrolleyes:

3. scjjtt

That's good news - but I hope it will cause the phone to make some type of noise even if the sound is turned off on the phone - that's what my Pebble does!

jigwashere, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. scjjtt

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    raspabalsa, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  5. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Scott,

Can you elaborate on this from your own perspective. I see what they are saying in the article. I understand it on some level, but not overly so, as while I've got a Tizen based watch, I can't say that I've played with a Wear based watch to contrast it to.

My curiosity stage has already expired with my Active 2, and now I just use it. :)

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  6. scjjtt

HC - here are some things off the top of my head - but not in any particular order:

1. Bixby vs Google - I'm not as smart as Raspy - I stand in awe what he can & does with Bixby, but for normal things I'd rather rely on "Ok Google" even though I hardly ever use this on my phone - but it is easy to use on a Wear OS watch.

2. My older watches (Moto 360 - 1st Gen which uses the old version of Wear OS & my Asus Zenwatch 2) both will show the pic attachment that come with a text. My Galaxy Watch only does that if I am not connected via BT but relying solely upon connection via the data plan (which I pay $10 a month until May - it was the offer to get 2 watches for the price of 1 - to have data on both watches for a minimum of 2 years. I want that for Mrs scjjtt but I don't need it.)

3. Answering calls via the watch can only be done on my Galaxy watch if I'm connected once again solely to the data plan & not BT. I have Mrs scjjtt's watch set up to rely completely on the data plan so she always have access to answer or make calls via her phone or watch.

The Moto 360 is too old to answer a call from the watch but the Asus Zenwatch 2 does it fine.

4. I prefer the UI of Wear OS over Tizen. Wear OS seems more natural to me to use than Tizen.

Now maybe Samsung has fixed these things on new watch models but this is my experience. Samsung has better health options - but I hardly use them & Google has all the ones that I want & will use.

Right now I use the Galaxy watch more than my Asus while I have access to the data plan. I'll probably alternate the 2 watches after May. My Pebble Time Steel goes on my wrist every night while the others are charging. It is light on the wrist & adequately records my sleep which is viewable on the watch & on the Pebble App (now Rebble) which is also transmitted over to the Google App - Fit. Often my Pebble watch will remain on my wrist throughout the day, especially if I'm going to be outdoors doing any work or if I'm doing much typing - the watch band is very thin & doesn't bother me as much as the thicker band I have on the other watches.

7. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Many thanks for the clarification points.

I can answer calls on my Active 2 with my phone in another part of the house and the call works well and without issue. I am solely connected via BT. I saw no need for the LTE plan.

I do see your points on the others though. I never ask Bixby anything, and infact I forgot that was even an option on my watch. Whoops. :)

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Yeah, on my older Samsung Galaxy Watch, I have no trouble answering calls via BT with my phone. I don't think my model even has the LTE option as that was $100 more at the time.

I also never use Bixby, and I only use Android Assistant (rarely) in the car. :vbwink:

jigwashere, scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  9. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Scott, I wasn't aware of the EOL for this feature.
    I just ran the Smart Things app on my S10+ and found that the feature is there already:

Screenshot_20210224-204424_SmartThings.jpg

When I tapped on it it asked to install an add-on, after which I can see a map with the location of my phone - on my phone itself, that is :rolleyes:. Not sure how this integrates with the "Find My Watch" on the Galaxy Wearable app. I just tried it and saw a similar EOL notice with the same date, March 15th. I hope Samsung integrates this function into the new Smart Things app nicely by then.

10. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

My S10+ is always in silent mode, yet the Find my Mobile function makes it ring aloud. Since I've kept my phone silent ever since I got the Galaxy Watch, it was weird to hear it ring again.