raspy's Adventures with the Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy Watch

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by raspabalsa, Jan 6, 2020.

1. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy - I'm sorry about that setback. Things like that are frustrating, especially the amount of time & energy you have put into the use of your phone & accessories.

Good luck & Godspeed in resolving this new obstacle - you're probably going to need it.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

jigwashere, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thanks, Scott. It really is frustrating, because matching a keyboard and layout shouldn't be so hard. I'll have to set some time aside to start testing from zero. I think I may be able to make this work better with my Apple BT keyboard, but I don't usually bring it to work because in my office I have the keyboard/mouse combo. I may test the BT keyboard later. Or I may just toss everything out the window, Dex dock included :D.

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Sorry Raspy. I hate when all that work ends up wasted. I've been through that before.

4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

... and now the issue fixed itself. This is crazy. I have no idea why or how or when, but since it's Saturday again I came to the office with the Dex dock, plugged it in, connected the Logitech wireless keyboard, and now the Spanish layout matches flawlessly! I wonder if there was some silent update to something in the OS or Samsung's keyboard or whatever. I wonder if the Dex software did some kind of hard reboot in between Saturdays and this cleared/fixed/reset whatever. I wonder if last week's bug was a figment of my imagination. Naaahhh... there's evidence in my phone's Notebook app in the form of notes covered in nonsensical symbol and letter sequences with some profanities liberally sprinkled all over them :D.

I really hate not knowing what happened, how it got fixed, or whether or not this will be a permanent fix. <sigh> I even brought my Apple BT keyboard to test, but that no longer seems to be necessary. I guess I'll just keep using the dock and peripherals and hope the fix holds.

BTW, the other issue, the one where I have to press the Enter key an additional time to enter numbers in a cell in Google Sheets, that one is still there. I'll keep using two keyboard apps: Swiftkey when typing on the phone itslef, and Samsung's when using the Dex dock and a physical keyboard. I think I'll leave good enough alone for now.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

there, there, raspabalsa -- warm beverage? Postum, perhaps?

lelisa13p, jigwashere, Hook and 3 others like this.
  6. scjjtt

Raspy, I know inquiring minds want to know - I'm just glad that it is all working for you & you are able to enjoy the result of your previous work to put all of this together.

Maybe 2021 has some luck for us all!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

7. scjjtt

The other day we couldn't find Mrs scjjtt's phone - I dropped it and it wasn't on the floor but somehow slipped inbetween the parts of the couch. For some reason the "Find My Phone" wasn't working or never set up on her Galaxy Watch and now her phone was on vibrate and we couldn't find it. After calling the phone and listening real well we found it and I determined to fix the "Find My Phone".

Well the reason "Find My Phone" wasn't working that night was because she had put the watch on Airplane Mode to help her phone to sync with the car and never disabled Airplane mode on her watch. Of course I didn't discover that until I totally reset her phone and went through setting up her watch again.

Anyways, here is the kicker - as I was installing "Find My Phone" I got a notice from Samsung saying that this feature was going to end in March 2021. Are you kidding me? My Pebble can still find my phone.

Again, I'd almost go to the darkside just to have a Apple Watch. I sure wish Pebble was still around making watches. Of course Fitbit bought them out and Google has bought out Fitbit and still Wear OS lags behind.

It seems like Galaxy is putting a lot of health stuff on their OS - I just need to be able to respond to texts and emails and have the notifications that I want (appointments) coming to my watch as well as phone calls - or at least a good vibration from my watch that a call is coming in.

I did a quick look in Samsung's Galaxy Store to find a replacement but I haven't found anything to "Find My Phone" that had good reviews. :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (10.1") /128GB using Tapatalk

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Samsung is shutting down a bunch of services. Cloud storage, their version of find my phone, a bunch of useless features in their AR app, and I am sure there are more.

I suspect it is an abundance of external pressures to ditch competing services with Google. Rumors are swirling about the death of Samsung's store and assistant. Honestly, I won't miss either one.

Sent from my Samsung Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

9. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

This article sounds like it is being replaced with a newer service called "Smarthings Find."

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_watch3_gets_smartthings_find_support-news-47586.php

The only thing that worries me is that the wording the article uses almost makes it sound like it is geared to work with Samsung devices. I hope not. My wife depends on her watch being able to find her non-Samsung phone.

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

More than five years ago Apple did away with Find My Phone as a separate app. They then built the features into the next new version of iOS. It only locates iOS devices.