raspy's Adventures with the Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy Watch

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by raspabalsa, Jan 6, 2020.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

You're very welcome, Rick! I posted this procedure in case another Galaxy Watch user found themselves in the same predicament. Also, you all know how much I love to tinker with my gadgets :newpalm:

jig, that just may work... I don't remember ever seeing something like that, but that strap/cover combination looks great! I will definitely look for something like that.

A cover would work nicely because the way I use this watch is not the one I envisioned when I purchased it. I thought I'd use it as a media controller and navigation device, but I actually use it as a fitness recorder mostly. Ever since I found Bixby to be much more useful than I expected I've taken to speak commands aloud to control music ("pause", "switch to next track", "set volume 80%", etc). I was surprised when I told Bixby one day to "play Dancing with Myself" and it identified and played the correct song from my library. Sure, this is a gimmick, index the music with the tag data, simple search, but still, it's impressive. As for navigation, the watch screen is way too small to be really useful to me. In short, I mostly keep the watch on my wrist and let it do its magic stuff behind the scenes, and interaction is kept to a minium. I could simply tap the screen to start a workout, slap the cover in place, and chat with Bixby when needed.

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy, thanks for the detail explanation on how to clean our Galaxy watches. I don't wear my Galaxy watch while doing work outside - I wear my Pebble. I have noticed, however, the bezel being a little harder to move so I have spun it around in both directions for awhile & it seems to make it better. I hope I'm not hurting something in the long run doing that. As much as I like the bezel - I have been concerned about dirt getting under it. I believe I would rather have had a digital bezel like Samsung did on their active line watches.

But, I guess this bezel design is suppose to be the thing to have & it is on the Galaxy 3 watches.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/08/05/the-bezel-is-back-for-samsungs-galaxy-watch-3/

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

3. raspabalsa

I considered an Active watch before I purchased the Watch, but the curved screen seemed way too exposed and fragile for my usage. I tend to bump on walls and things when walking - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - and my dumbwatches bear witness to this. Their glass faces usually grow scratches over time, and I've had to replace the glass on one or two occasions because it was so scratched I couldn't read the time or date. I didn't want that kind of worries with my new smartwatch. The bezel on my Watch already has a couple of scuff marks, meaning it's doing its job of protecting the screen. I've been thinking about adding a layer of tough plastic on top of the bezel for extra protection, but I'm not sure how to do this without affecting the looks of the watch. I really like the rotating bezel, and I think with proper care and avoiding exposure to extreme conditions it will continue to work properly :)

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Super-impressive walk-through Raspy!

RickAgresta, raspabalsa and scjjtt like this.
  5. raspabalsa

Alas, the idea I had didn't work. I took the Dex dock apart and tried to figure how to add the 3.5mm jack, but both this jack and the USB connector must plug into the S10+ at the same time, meaning the 3.5mm jack must be mounted on the same tilting assembly as the USB port. There's two problems with this: One is that the assembly isn't wide enough to accomodate the 3.5mm jack so I'd need to extend it about 1.5 cm to the left, and there isn't enough room inside the dock for this. Second problem is that the headphone jack is longer than the USB connector, so when I insert the phone into the dock the connector will make contact first, and only about half a cm later the USB connector makes contact with the phone. This seemed too dangerous, because if I accidentally tilt the phone front- or sideways after the jack has made contact I could damage the jack or the USB port. So I dismissed this idea and the Dex dock was spared a second session under the knife :).

But I solved the problem of having wired audio in a different way. I think it's quite elegant too :newpalm: . The S10+, as a lot many more phone models, can output audio through the USB port, and the Dex dock has a two-port USB hub inside. The solution: connect one of my headphone DAC/amplifiers to one USB port and then I can connect any audio device with 3.5mm audio input to the amplifier. It works very nicely!

First, the amplifier. I have two models, the Fiio Q1, and Fiio Q1 Mk2:

amps.jpg

Left is the Mk2, right is the original Q1. Both are DACs, which is a requisite for this to work, since the phone sends the audio signal as digital data through the USB port. I'm going to use the original Q1 for this task, because the Mk2 has an annoying "feature": Fiio decided to brand it as "Made for Iphone" which for some reason means it can't have a hardware charge on/off switch. So whenever I plug it into a USB port it automatically starts charging its battery. For regular use (connected directly to my S10+) I bypassed this feature by modding a USB cable and cutting the wire carrying the signal that enables charge, but this custom cable is USB-C to micro USB and now I need a cable with the regular USB port on one end to match those on the dock. I may try modding another cable later to be able to use the amp without charging it from the dock's power supply. The thing is, I don't want to load this supply more than necessary. The Q1 does have the hardware switch to turn off charge, so I can plug it to the dock without loading its power supply.

The setup is really easy, and works seamlessly:

setup1.jpg

Thats the Fiio Q1 plugged to one of the dock's USB ports, and my headset is connected to the amp's headphone output. There are a couple of nice things with this setup. One is that this DAC/amp has two outputs, one for headphones, and the other is line level, and with the latter I can use the Q1 just as a DAC and plug large amplified speakers. Meaning I can get a good set of speakers for work :). The other nice thing is that Samsung has a very useful utility called SmartThings, and turns out it's, well..., very smart:

smart.png

SmartThings immediately detects the DAC/amp and routes audio to it without prompting the user. But it also displays the above silent notification (shown expanded in the pic) which makes it very easy to switch output to any other device, including the phone's own speakers. Very nice!

So now I can have wired audio with the Dex dock, and still be able to connect to a BT device if needed. But everything is in the details, and the Fiio Q1 uses one of the two USB ports the Dex dock has. I use the other port to connect a wireless transceiver for mouse and keyboard, and this leaves zero ports free for other peripherals. The solution: connect an external USB hub:

hub.jpg

That's a vanilla four-port USB hub, so after connecting the DAC/amp and transceiver for mouse and keyboard I still have three USB ports free. Alas, I still can't connect my portable hard disk because it draws too much power and the dock's USB ports can't deliver. I will have to get a non-vanilla (powered :D) USB hub for this to work.

In the meantime, I have to figure how to make this setup more portable. Right now I have to carry the three gadgets seen above whenever I want to use the Dex dock. I'm thinking about another knife session with the dock to give it a larger bottom that can hold the hub and DAC/amp inside :eek:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  6. raspabalsa

Quick follow-up: I may have to re-assess the "Made for Iphone" feature of the Q1 Mk2. During the setup I described above I didn't even plug the Q1 Mk2 because I knew it would start charging itself from the Dex dock. But just now I plugged it to see how it works, and turns out it talks to the phone not only in regards to the battery charge. It also does something else that the original Q1 doesn't, and this triggers any corresponding Bixby Routine programmed in the phone. As soon as I plugged the Q1 Mk2 to the dock the S10+ showed the Bixby Routines message, meaning it triggered the same routine as when I plug my headphones directly to the phone's 3.5 mm jack. The routine ran completely, turning audio to Mono, launching my playlist, etc. Then I disconnected the Q1 Mk2 from the USB port and the other Routine launched, returning audio to stereo, etc. None of this happens when I connect/disconnect the other DAC/amp. Also, I hadn't noticed this behavior before because I've always used the Q1 Mk2 with the custom cable I built that cuts communication with the phone, whereas now I connected it to the Dex dock with a regular USB cable.

I'm still not sure if the Q1 Mk2's feature is a blessing or a curse. I will try to find a way to make Bixby Routines identify it as something other than a "headphone" (this is the trigger for my Routines). Then it would be a blessing because I could launch the Routines when connecting my wired headphones for a ride, but keep listening to audio in stereo when using the S10+ with the Q1 Mk2. Otherwise it would be a hassle to have to interrupt the Routine every time I plug the Q1 Mk2. It's always the details indeed!

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

It's interesting that the Fiios are made to look like a flask, at least it does look like that to me.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. raspabalsa

Yes, the Fiio Q1 (sans Mk suffix) looks exactly like a tiny flask. The power on switch / volume knob doubles as the flask cap. I really like that design, even if the curved panels make it harder to mate the DAC/amp to a flat device. Sadly, Fiio dropped the design with the Q1 Mk2, maybe because a flask look doesn't go well with the "Made for Apple" philosophy (whatever that may be ;) ). Still, the Q2 has a very nice design and looks more refined than the original Q1.

Changing subject, my adventures with the S10+ and Watch suffered a casualty two days ago: I accidentally broke the S10+'s screen :eek::(. Well, not actually the screen, but the Gorilla Glass layer on top of the screen. I was working on an electrical panel, and I wanted to play music while doing so, but instead of leaving the S10+ in its vest pocket I placed it inside the panel, propped against the back wall. Some minutes later I must have bumped the panel or tugged at a cable too hard, because the phone fell flat on its face against the panel's bottom. Shouldn't have caused any damage (my phone has survived several drops from much higher) except that this panel has some screw ends protruding from the bottom. The screen fell against one of them, and the glass cracked. Luckily, it's a smallish set of cracks. It took me about an hour to notice them. The screw impacted the right edge of the screen, just next to the power button, and a spiderweb pattern of cracks spread through the upper right quarter of the glass. Extra luck: the screen itself is unaffected, since it displays everything normally. Double extra luck: the touch panel also works properly. If this sounds like too much luck, yesterday I went to a service center and got a quote for a replacemente screen: USD 328 :confused:. That's almost enough bad luck to counter all the good luck above. They told me that the whole front of the phone must be replaced, because although it is possible to remove the glass layer, this ends up badly more often than not, and it's usual to damage the screen itself while doing so. I decided not to get the replacement at this moment. Too expensive, and the phone works properly so far. The cracks don't distract me much because they're mostly seen against a bright white background (such as Gmail) and they're almost invisible when playing movies or games. I may get used to them. In the meantime, the tech recommended to install a curved glass panel on top of the cracked glass. This has the effect of making the cracks less visible, but prevents usage of the fingerprint scanner. I had the curved glass installed, and am now unlocking my phone with the PIN. The tech also told me that in about a week or so he'll get a liquid compound that supposedly fills the cracks and makes them invisible. I may try that too. All in all, I think it was a fortunate accident.

9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy - I'm so sorry to hear about the misfortune. Instead of using a PIN why don't you use your watch as a Trusted Device in Smart Lock? That way you will not have to enter in a PIN unless your watch is away from your phone.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

raspabalsa and jigwashere like this.
  10. raspabalsa

Thanks, Scott. I have my Galaxy Watch already set as a trusted device. However, it's become very easy to simply touch the fingerprint sensor (even with the screen off) to turn the screen on and show whatever app was running. Now I have to double tap the screen to turn it on, then swipe up to dismiss the lock screen, which appears even if the phone is unlocked by Smart Lock - with a message proclaiming that the phone is unlocked by Smart Lock :rolleyes:. I think there is an option to prevent the lock screen from being shown when Smart Lock is in effect, but I can't remember if this true or not.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.