raspy's Adventures with the Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy Watch

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by raspabalsa, Jan 6, 2020.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The small dials or registers show, from top left and clockwise:

1. Heartbeat. There are 5 "zones" from low (50 bpm) to high (200bpm). Each zone is a 30bpm increment. You can see the radial lines in the dial increase in length clockwise from botttom right. The indicator moves in 1 bpm increments, so it shows the actual bpm, but without numbers you have to estimate the actual value.

2. Steps goal, from 0% (bottom left) clockwise to 100%. The radial lines also increase in length, and each one denotes a 10% increment. The indicator line increases by 1%.

3. Seconds indicator, from zero (double line at top left) to 60.

4. Battery level, in percent, from 0% (top right) clockwise to 100%. The radial lines also increase in length clockwise, and the indicator moves by 1% increment.

As I said above, it takes some time getting used to them, but I like the minimalistic style and the radial symmetry, and a quick glance lets me roughly evaluate heartrate, steps, battery, by the color indicator lines.

There's also a low battery/charge indicator. It's the lightning bolt above the battery level dial. It's normally off, when battery goes below 30% it begins to flash slowly in yellow. When it goes below 20% it flashes rapidly in red. When charging the watch, it flashes slowly in blue/greenish (teal?).

AOD means Always On Display. It's an option where the watch will show the time and otherd data (depending on the watchface) after the screen timeouts. The AOD display is usually darker and refreshes less frequently than the regular display, for example, it doesn't mark the seconds. On my watch, enabling AOD reduces battery endurance from 3 to 2 days, but I prefer to have the time always available, so I keep it enabled.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  2. raspabalsa

That's a nice watchface, except that I don't like Roman numerals. Also, I'm leaning more towards digital watchfaces. After all, this is a digital device. I have my Casio analog watch for when I feel like watching a hand move in circles :D. Seriously now, some of those Rabo faces are cool, but I'm looking at others now. I'm regularly checking what else Dominus Mathias puts on sale. I want to try the ArtThropod watchface because it reminds me of something very dear to me. I'll let you guess what it is from the pic ;) :

ArtThropod.jpg

The others are the Capsule and the 21Sc watchfaces by X9 Studio (the same that designed the 54Xe watchface above):

X9-Capsule-880.jpg

Artboard-2-50.jpg

EDIT: Added pics of the watchfaces.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Yeah, I seem to be really into analog right now and I think the roman numerals give it a bit of a steam punk vibe. How very cool that there are all these choices. :newpalm:

4. raspabalsa

Ok, I said that two and a half months ago, but I just found the time and some inspiration to tackle this. With the enforced quarantine I have way too much time, so I'm pursuing several projects. Here's my attempt at a lockscreen:

lockscreen.jpg

This is a screenshot, so the cutout is seen as a white figure top right. In the actual lockscreen you can only see a white profile surrounding and highlighting the cutout. I added the picture of the fingerprint sensor at the bottom just as a location aid, because sometimes it takes a second for the OS to show that picture when waking the phone. You can also see the "LavateLasManos" (WashYourHands) placed by the cell carrier at the top left (instead of the carrier's name "ENTEL") during the coronavirus crisis. Absurdly•Trying•Times™ indeed :(.

There are some tools grouped under an app called GoodLock that allow fine tuning the UI, including the lockscreen. I'll play with them and see if I can improve the visibility of the clock and music widget. White looks somewhat washed out against the background.

This is how my desktop looks like now. It's still a work in progress, but I'm liking how it looks so far:

wallpaper.jpg

I removed the large clock and date widget (from the Seven Time app) and rearranged the weather and smaller time/date widgets (from Simple World Clock Widget). One widget keeps the Bolivian time (GMT -4), the other the Ecuadorian/Colombian time (GMT-5). A pic of my previous widget is on the first page of this thread. Again, on the phone you don't see the whole white cutout shape, just a white outline around the actual camera cutout.

Now to wash my hands again (phone orders so :D ) then play a few Starcraft rounds with Edmundo. He says he's been practising. I hope so :newpalm:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. raspabalsa

Last night I kept modifying the wallpaper. Now it looks like this:

wallpaper.jpg

As before, the white blob top right shows as a white ring around the camera cutout. The effect is cool, highlights the cutout, and shows why that area of the status bar is empty of icons.

It works nicely in landscape too:

landscape.jpg

Lockscreen is the same as shown on the previous post. The transition from lockscreen to desktop is nice because the main picture is the same size and location on both.

I think I'll leave this lockscreen/desktop combination as is and move on to the next. There's time enough at last :D. Yeah, I'm quoting that The Twilight Zone episode. Quite appropiate, I think, given the circumstances ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  6. Hook

Found a new watch face that I kind of like—a little retro, a little steampunk. It's called USA Scalar (USA seems to be the brand)... Probably won't be my permanent watchface, but I like it.

usascalar.png

Lots of color changes you can play with.

I've found one annoying thing I haven't figured out a workaround for, in part because it doesn't always happen. Sometimes when I am on one of my rapid walks it desides I dhould be listening to music and pops up the music player. When that happens, if I try to dismiss the music app to get back to the screen tracking my time and distance, it pauses the data collection and I lose some of my tracking and therefore don't get credited for the whole distance. I'll do some experiments to see if I can get a handle on it, but it is very annoying. I don't even have music files on my watch. :vbrolleyes:

7. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ooooooo! The bathroom scale! I like it, too. :newpalm:

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I can't stop laughing!

[​IMG]

9. Hook

:vbgrin: :vbgrin: :vbgrin: :vbgrin: :vbgrin: :vbgrin:

10. raspabalsa

I've seen the same problem. Pressing the Back button pauses the tracker. What seems to work is pressing the Home button to return to the main watchface, then use the bezel to switch to the music player. It would be great if the bottom of the main watch screen could show two apps (i.e. health tracker and music player) instead of just one.

Alternatively, I use a watchface with custom app shortcuts, then when in the tracker I press home then the shortcut button for the player.

In any case this isn't much of a problem for me, because I always start the music before the workout, and I have a long playlist set in my music player, much more than enough for my typical rides.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and Hook like this.