raspy gets a brand new flagship!

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by raspabalsa, Sep 5, 2017.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

What? No vacuum tubes? :D

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Did you know there are portable headphone amps with vacuum tubes, small enough to fit in a shirt pocket (the whole amp, not just the tubes) ? I guess they can double as body heaters during winter. I learned about these a month ago while searching for a headphone amp. Ultimately I decided to get a solid-state device. It's plenty hot down here already.

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Well, yeah, but with the right kind of eclipse glasses, you can almost *see* the electrons flowing languidly from the cathode to anode, basking in that dull, red glow…

Glowing vac tube.png

lelisa13p, raspabalsa, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

I've been searching for a case for my G6. The polycarbonate hard case bundled with the G6 does not offer enough protection because it's, well... hard. It won't absorb shock in case of a fall. I just bought a Caseology Parallax G6 Case. I like the textured back and overall design. It seems to offer good protection for the corners and screen. The one pictured on the webpage is "Navy Blue" with gold accents. Looks very nice but seemed too garish for me, so I wimped out and got the all-black one. I expect it will arrive within 4 days. But you want to hear something funny? I was in the city a couple of days ago, found an accessory store at a mall and asked if they had cases for the G6. The girl showed me an Incipio Dual Pro case. I checked the webpage, checked reviews on Amazon, very highly rated, price ok, so I bought it, placed the G6 in it, and went home. On the trip back I found it very difficult to adjust the volume. I had to press real hard on the buttons, with the fingernail even. Very annoying. I removed the case and checked it closely and the material seemed way too stiff. Then I noticed something wrong on the outer frame, the black color had worn and some white was showing. Turns out it's a fake case! That's 20 dollars thrown away. I can't find the purchase slip, so even if I go back to the store I doubt I can get a refund. That's when I decided to get the Caseology case from a reputed online dealer.

Changing to happier topics, there's another accessory that came with the G6: a micro USB to USB C converter. It's quite small (about 1") and you can use it to charge or transfer data using a micro USB cable. Fast charge works with it using the included LG charger, and since all my other devices are still micro USB I can carry one less cable and still be able to charge my phone. A small detail, but very well thought.

I've been snapping away with the G6's camera, and during one of those sessions I happened upon a small beautiful creature:

little snake.jpg

The above image is cropped, it's about 1/8 of the original picture, and I resized it to 75% original size so it won't look too big here. It still looks great, considering it was taken from about 1.5 meters away. I snapped about a dozen pictures because it was very hard to focus on the small head (the snake was about 60cm - 24 inches- long). Of course it's not a real coral, but looks quite menacing in that posture.

I also took some pictures of a whip spider (Amblypygi) I found inside a mine, but that's beyond menacing and looks actually evil, so I'll post it behind a spoiler wall:

Amblypygi.jpg

Again, the picture is cropped (about 1/4 original size, and resized to about 50%, but still it looks great. I think the G6's camera is superior to the V10's, the lenses seem to achieve better and faster focus, the images are not over-processed, colors are true, and low light performance is excellent. I find it quite funny that a year ago I dismissed cameras during my phone selection process. I guess I didn't think a phone's camera could be very good, especially since my Xperia Z1 with its 20 MP camera was no better than a 8MP P&S.

I'm experimenting with the manual controls, which seem better than the V10's. I think this phone could be a very good macro shooter :newpalm:

lelisa13p, jigwashere, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  5. RickAgresta

REgarding the faux coral, I think that's convincing enough for Our Super Moderator in Atlanta to say "Ick!"

lelisa13p, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  6. raspabalsa

I was more worried that she'd see the second pic and go "eek!" ;)

7. RickAgresta

I'm hoping that she's somewhere soft when she sees the post, just in case... shepassesout.jpg

8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy - great pics. I'm so glad that your phone is working out so well for you. I'm also happy to hear that LG is continuing to make great cutting edge phones. Our v10's were great phones except for the crazy boot looping.

Here's to a long term use of your G6!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ick :vbtongue: , but not eek :vbeek: because I didn't look. :vboops: I happen to agree with Indy's opinion on snakes (and likely, spiders.) :vbwink:

I was too busy getting ready for the hurricane earlier so I didn't see any of this. :vbfrown:

10. raspabalsa

It's always the details... The G6 has the increasing ringtone "feature" (I'd say "bug") and there's no way to turn it off. I like my ringtone to sound loud from the very beginning, so I installed an app called "Disable Increasing Ring". Very simple, usually requieres just launching it to fix the problem, but the usual fix does not work on the G6. The developer apparently expected this to happen on some models, so he included a different fix:

Screenshot_2017-09-14-12-50-35.jpg
    The new fix is simply to boost the ringtone volume by a certain factor during a given time at the beginning. Boost and duration are user-selectable. It does work very well. Except for this: the G6 (and also the V10) has two features I like and use a lot: when a call comes in, I can flip the phone to silence the ring, or I can press the volume down button to do the same. As it happens, enabling the "New normalization method" under the above app will disable this feature. I wrote the developer, but haven't heard from him yet. It somewhat irks me that I did buy the app and the developer has failed to provide support, but I hope to eventually hear from him. In the meantime I decided to simply replicate what the app does. I launched Audacity on my PC, loaded my ringtone ("Hey ya!" by Outkast :cool: ) and applied an effect called "Adjustable Fade" to the first 3 seconds. I selected 175% boost at the beginning, fading gradually to 100% (original volume). Esentially I'm countering the phone's increasing effect by applying a decreasing amplification. Works very well! I can hear the "1, 2, 3, uh..." sequence at the beginning of the song loudly enough. Problem solved!

I still haven't received the Caseology case. I was just notified that the case was to be shipped from Miami, so it's been delayed by Irma. No point complaining, I'll have to wait until sometime next week. The hard case is doing its job, and it just proved itself yesterday, when I dropped my phone from a shelf about 6 feet high and it crashed on the hard floor tiles. The case didn't break and, more importantly, the phone didn't break either, in fact it doesn't have the tiniest dent even though it bounced once on the floor. I guess I was lucky, or maybe the G6 really is as tough as advertised. Whew!

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.