raspy gets a brand new flagship!

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by raspabalsa, Sep 5, 2017.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

LG unlocked phones have almost zero bloat, and what they do have can be easily disabled via the OS. I do use a lot of google apps (remember, I've been assimilated by the cloud) but these can also be disabled without root. My phone's backup is made by google, and it's so good that switching to the G6 I only lost one ringtone, everything else was transfered over.

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I guess, using Nexus phones, I didn't realize this was blocked so often. The funny thing is, AT&T Gophone (name recently changed to the boring "AT&T Prepaid) actually has written into their TOS that hotspot use is allowed. Heck, we pay for the data. Why should they care how we use it?

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Sprint blocks it. I've been doing things to bypass this limitation since my Treo days.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  4. jigwashere

Oops. I quoted you for a reason but forgot to add my comment. Your question had come up numerous times on BH. It doesn't make sense. :)

5. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

You're not the first person to tell me my questions don't make sense. :vbwink:

6. jigwashere

Uh...wait. That's not, oh, nevermind.

7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Congrats raspy! I do love the smell of fresh technology. :newpalm: Battery life improvements are always rad, and I use the fingerprint sensor to power on too, love it that way. It's not like a huge deal, but I used to not lock my phone to streamline power on ( :vboops: ) so this is a smarter way to still power on no fuss.

Anywho, sounds like a cool buy, I hope it ages very gracefully :)

8. raspabalsa

Thanks, Mi An. I wasn't a fan of using a pattern to unlock for the same reason you mention, so I relied on SmartLock to reduce the need to unlock the phone.

Power usage on the G6 seems notably improved across the board. I work in an area with poor cellphone coverage, and my V10 would usually get to noon with 40% or less charge. My G6 gets to the same time with around 65% charge. Still, it's not enough to go a full day without recharging, but added to a quicker charge means less risk of the battery going flat.

I've found problems with a few games, and I think it's because of the 18:9 screen ratio. One of them (Navy Field) shows some panning of the screen under certain zoom levels, as if the app can't decide where to anchor the image. The re-scaling feature does not fix this. It's not critical, and I can still enjoy sinking enemy ships regardless of this. The other incompatibility is with Gun Disassembly, which will sometimes crash repeatedly, again regardless of the scale applied. I seldom use this app, but I'll write the developer about this. The third game, Minecraft, seems to have a more serious problem, since it will often freeze or crash the first time I launch it but only when I load one of my worlds. Force closing and relaunching it solves this, but I worry that this may damage my worlds' data. I've invested (Mrs. R would surely say "wasted") a lot of time building worlds on Minecraft. I'll check online to see if this is a known issue. Other than these three games, every other app and game I have works very well on the G6. I've re-scaled a few games, but most apps work ok without needing any adjustment.

There's a few nice new features, not sure if owing to LG or Android 7: one is "comfort view" , a blue light filter with four settings (low, medium, high, and black&white). But there's no option to turn it on/off at a certain time or under certain lighting conditions, so I keep it always on "low". Would be great if it could be set to automatically change filter level using the light sensor. The "always on" display feature is also nice, and somewhat alleviates the pain of losing the V10 with its second screen. It can also show a signature, although it can show a maximum of just 10 characters. Seems kind of silly given that the screen width can accomodate at least 25 characters at the used font's size, but I'm guessing there's a technical limitation ruling this: I suspect the "always on" display is actually a separate area in the screen, with its pixels under independent control, apart from the main screen. I think it's actually a screen within the main screen. This could be why the phone can't show the clock, signature, and other stuff anywhere on the screen, but only in the area so designed, and whatever it can show is limited by the size of this area. I'm further guessing that this secondary screen could be something exotic, like a small AMOLED panel installed beneath the main IPS LCD panel. This would allow for very low power consumption (else no one would want to use it), excellent contrast (since no backlight is used), zero backlight bleeding (this affected the V10's secondary screen), and avoid wear on the main panel. This hypothetical AMOLED panel could be just black&white to reduce cost. This would explain why the "always on" feature only shows white images and characters, not colors or even grayscale. I wonder if any of these guesses is correct... I just love to speculate about what's under the hood of my toys!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    Hook, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  9. jigwashere

"...until I get the chance to open them up and take high resolution photos to share with my friends."

10. raspabalsa

The thing is, modern devices are not so exciting inside. Years ago, you could find wires, huge capacitors, potentiometers, dozens of chips, and even transformers inside a PDA. But now most smartphones are just a single System-On-Chip, a RAM memory chip, and a few extra components, all in a single short, narrow mainboard. I remember some Sony PDAs had two or three boards inside and more than a dozen wires if the model had rotating screen. Nowadays the largest component inside a phone is the battery, and there's just a few flat ribbon cables. My V10's board is just a small fraction of the total weight and volume of the whole phone :( Things now look so boring inside most phones that whenever nostalgia hits me I take a trip down this beautiful memory lane :newpalm:

RickAgresta, Hook and scjjtt like this.