Raspy flirts with the dark side! What!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 2, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

No luck there, since this iPad is WiFi-only, doesn't have a simcard. All this troubleshooting is consuming too much time, so I've decided to let this aside until I try with the BT GPS.

I've used the web interface to transfer between iPad and Windows laptop. You go to http://web.airdroid.com/, then you're shown a QR code. You scan this with the iPad's camera and that establishes the connection. Then you can transfer files. I think you can also set a password to avoid having to scan for every connection, but this is something I haven't tried. For your Mom's laptop it may be best to set the password to make it easier and hassle-free.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. raspabalsa

Seems there is hope my iPad will stop being just a drone accessory. According to this article, Google Docs will soon support MS Office docs natively, without requiring conversion. Collaboration will be available too. This means that even though MS Excel on iOS can't open my Office files on Google Drive (it can't "see" that cloud in its file opening dialogue), I can open the same files on Google Sheets or Docs, preserving file type and format, and can still share them and edit concurrently with my co-workers. This is good news, even though it will require changing the way I work. I think it's worth a try. I guess I'll return the iPad to my nightstand while I test this :).

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Sorry Raspa, I was stupid. I meant that wasn't there something that read location data from WiFi hotspots? I'm sure some hotspots mask location data; but not all.

scjjtt, Mi An and raspabalsa like this.
  4. raspabalsa

Heh heh.. that was just Mr. Literal striking again, Edmund :) I guess I could or should have assumed you meant wifi hotspots, but I once again stuck to the written words. I fear I can only expect this literaness to get worse as I get older.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Since my son & DIL have gone to the dark side with iPhones (he has the X & she has the 8) & with a 15'' Mac Pro we got him a new 10'' iPad Pro from Amazon for his May college graduation. It was 16% off for $675 instead of $800.

I'm happy for him. It arrived yesterday. We're letting him get the pen & folio keyboard. We told him that they had a $1,200 budget from us for their graduations. She's graduating too - although she finished her classes in December & is now in Richmond VA in Army Officer Training & will graduate from that 5 days after walking through her college commencement on May 11. I guess they'll use the rest to furnish where they will be living next. She'll be stationed at Fort Lewis outside Tacoma WA.

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

6. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Congratulations to both your son and daughter (though not for going to the dark side :vbwink: ) Didn't know I had one of your kids in my neck of the woods (I'm in Fredericksburg, VA). Thank her for her service.

scjjtt, Mi An, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

lelisa13p, Mi An, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  9. raspabalsa

Yeah, I read iPads will also support USB drives (Yay! :rolleyes:) with the new "iPad OS", whatever that means.

I'll go fetch my iPad from the bottom of my tools drawer, dust it off, and tell it the good news :D

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Mi An and 3 others like this.
  10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I watched the Keynote yesterday and yes, those items were confirmed. Also, iTunes for Mac is being replaced with 3 separate apps: Apple Music, Podcasts, and Apple TV. iTunes will remain available for Windows users, good news for me because I regularly make local encrypted device backups.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.