Raspy flirts with the dark side! What!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 2, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I used to do the same with TB on Android, but nowadays storage is usually larger than I need (excluding pictures, movies, and music, which go on the SD card). My G6's 32GB internal is much more than enough for all my apps, including seldom-used ones and games. Even counting more than 2.5GB of Minecraft worlds, Kindle books, and Whatsapp data, my G6 still has over 11GB of free internal storage. IMO it's just not worth the hassle to move apps between internal and cloud/external backup. Of course, YMMV.

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Having used the Nexus line for the past 9 years, I have come to appreciate not fiddling with SD cards and instead just having more than enough on board memory. I never get near filling my current 128GB on board memory, even with TV, movies and music. Transfers are easy from my computer and it is so much more hassle free compared to my 4 year old Samsung tablet with only 16 GB on board.

I confess that the lack of file management on iOS just horrifies me. I had assumed they must have solved that by now until I read this thread, and then checked a visiting friend's iPad to discover this was all true. I don't think I will ever voluntarily consider Apple as long as that remains the case.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks Raspa. That won't work for my mother. Mobilityware never answered the message, nor a follow-up. I did find an archived forum which noted that app was subject to bloat. One person said it had expanded to 31GB! It's only taking up 4 GB on my mother's device. The 'solution' seems to be to delete the app and reinstall it; but I'm a bit nervous because if I screw it up, my mother will be unhappy since she really likes the jigsaw app.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. raspabalsa

Sorry Edmund, I know very little about iOS apps to recommend something for the problem with that app growing uncontrollably. I understand your hesitation about uninstalling/reinstalling. Maybe you could surreptitiously install another jigsaw app? Maybe your mother could start liking it and eventuallt you could delete the other app before it consumes the whole storage.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. raspabalsa

In other news, I finally solved the file transfer problem. Turns out AirDroid is available for iOS, I just installed it, and happily and easily and quickly transfered pictures and files between iPad, LG G6, and Windows laptop. I like that AirDroid can access the iCloud Drive, so I can grab files from there and send them elsewhere without needing to install iTunes or other ithingies in the receiving device. Of course it can also access the iPad's own storage, although with the file browsing limitations seen on every other app (kudos for the standardization, Apple :rolleyes:). Although the file transfer issue is solved, it irks me that AirDroid on iOS is a dumbed-down version of the Android one. There's file transfer, messaging, and nothing else. The other features that have been available on the Android version for years are missing. At least Apple hasn't banned it for having "Droid" in its name :D

More news: my iPad is no longer an EDC. It hasn't grown on me, and I doubt it ever will. I took it with me on my days off, but used it just 3 or 4 times in 10 days, and only to show it to my kids. Today I demoted it from my nightstand to the bottom drawer at my office desk. At least it won't be alone, because I keep the drone in the same drawer. Poor thing, it's now just an accessory to the drone. I almost feel sorry for it :D.

Mi An, lelisa13p, scjjtt and 3 others like this.
  6. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Somewhat related, I usually pat my car on its hood and thank it for taking care of me, once I'm in my driveway...see the 3rd 'item' in my signature

lelisa13p, jigwashere, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

When I was in the computer repair business I used to talk soothingly to the computers and printers as I checked or disassembled them. When I couldn't find the fault I even asked them aloud to cooperate with me and show me what was wrong.

8. raspabalsa

I've ran into an unexpected problem with the iPad I'm using: it will not display my location in any map app. Instead, it will always show a latitude of 0.0000 and a longitude of 0.000, placing me in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Africa (south of Ghana and west of Gabon, to be more precise :D ). Seems this is not a problem, but a feature, or lack thereof: this iPad is the WiFi-only model, and it does not have a GPS. Only the 3G/LTE model has a GPS. I failed to notice that while shopping for this iPad. I selected the WiFi-only one because it was about USD 100 cheaper, and I figured I'd not need 3G connectivity. I should have checked specs more thoroughly before buying it, because the lack of GPS is causing me some problems in the field. For example, I start an aerial mapping mission with a set home location determined by the drone's own GPS as it's about to start flying. But if then I move to the next area while the drone is still in the air I can't set a new home because the drone controller app can't find where I am, meaning the drone can't return home on its own. I've had to use my G6's GPS to find my location on its map, then guesstimate that location on the iPad's map and fly the drone to the new home. This has caused me to lose time, drone battery's time, and more importantly, it's risky because I could lose the drone since I'm flying it visually and without an accurate lock on my location.

Fortunately, I already found a solution not involving tossing this iPad away and getting the 3G model. Of course the solution is as convoluted as anything requiring connecting the iPad to a non-Apple device: I can share the GPS fix from my G6 and lock the iPad to it. There's a protocol called "NMEA" (haven't researched it yet, don't even know what it stands for) that allows sharing GPS data over BT or WiFi. I installed an app called "Shared GPS" on my LG G6, which turns the G6 into a GPS server, broadcasting its fix with the NMEA protocol. On the iPad I installed an app called NMEAGps, which listens to such broadcasts. After some trial and error I got the two devices to connect over WiFi and finally the iPad shows my location on every app that needs it, including the drone controller app. The best part is that internet connection is not required, because the data goes over TCP. This means I can set my G6 as a WiFi hotspot, the iPad will connect and grab an IP address and since it's on the same network as the G6 it will happily receive data over TCP.

Eventually I may a second option: in about a month I'll get a BT GPS transmitter for another unrelated device that also lacks internal GPS. I'll try to pair it to the iPad. That should prove simpler to use than setting the IP addresses and ports every time I need a location fix on the iPad, which is what I have to do with the current solution.

Score another victory over the dark side! :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    RickAgresta, scjjtt, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  9. raspabalsa

... and now the dark side strikes back... :(

The GPS server is not working anymore. Well, the server itself (on my G6) does broadcast the location fix, the app on the iPad does lock in that fix and displays the location on its own UI, but the location is not being propagated to other apps anymore. I've not the slightest idea why. Both map apps I have on the iPad (Apple's own and Google Maps) shown a "Could not get location" message and put me again off the coast of Africa. Ditto the drone controller app (but without showing any message). I checked the Location Services settings under Privacy on the iPad, everything seems fine. There's very little info online about this. Most non-GPS-equipped iPad users get an external BT GPS for their crippled devices. A few others run hacks that require a jailbroken device. I won't jailbreak this iPad (it's company's property, and I don't want to mess updates and stuff), so maybe a BT GPS will be my only option. However, I'm also reading worrisome stuff about this: some users complain that the external GPS will show the correct location on Apple's map app, but not on 3rd-party apps. If true, that's bad news for me, since it won't solve my current need. I'll have to research more. I will also wait for the BT GPS I'll get in a few weeks, to see if it works or not. There's A New Hope :D

10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Raspa, Maybe it's a settings thing? I thought that iPads could approximate GPS by triangulating cell-tower info? Not something I use, but there might be a way within iOS.

How does AirDroid work with both iOS, Windows, and Android? I guess there's an iOS AirDroid app, as you noted. How does it work with non-Apple laptops. I have to set that up for my mother.

scjjtt likes this.