Raspy flirts with the dark side! What!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 2, 2019.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Sounds like no, to your last paragraph, to me…

For some (but, of course, not all) of your problems, would an external drive (USB to go) help, to at least eliminate the 'must have internet' requirement? stinks that there's no actual file browser…

scjjtt likes this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I've been thinking about getting an SD card reader for the iPad. That way I can copy pictures from the drone to the iPad's storage. Wonder if I'll be able to access them with whatever program I need :D

I "solved" the problem with IAPs not going through. Turns out my Colombian credit card can buy apps, but can't buy IAPs. No idea why. There are no resctrictions on this card, iPad- or bank-wise. And I've purchased several apps with this card already. I checked under "Screen Time", a very obscure place for such important resctrictions as authorization to buy apps, authorize content, etc. Everything is turned off here, meaning no restriction in place. So I tried with my Ecuadorian credit card, and the purchase went through on the first attempt. Of course, I had to change the store to Ecuador. Changing store country seems to have no effect on the purchases I've already made. I sincerely have no idea why this is so convoluted.

Problem solved, although not the way I wanted. Strike one from the list. Add another: my iPad doesn't play nicely with my other USB chargers. I connected it to my LG G6's charger, and it does charge, even if I turn it off. But if I then turn it on it will stop charging, and a message will appear saying that I need to unlock the iPad before using USB accessories. Ah well, it's easier to just toss the iPad's own charger on my bag instead of trying to figure why this happens. <raspy continues to obstinately plod along, dragging behind him a finely crafted but otherwise unwieldy 8" block of anodized aluminum and white plastic> :newpalm:

scjjtt likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

4 years ago, I purchased a Ravpower filehub. I primarily use it as a portable battery backup (my wife has it with her on her trip to Israel), but it's also a portable router with a microSD media hub built in. As I recall, I had to install some software on my daughter's iPad and my son's Android tablet so they could access/stream media from it while we were traveling, but it also made for a fairly decent file transfer device. Anyway, Ravpower has a device for iThings that might work for you -- a flash drive/card reader: RAVPower 64GB iPhone Flash Drive 2 in 1 SD Card Reader with Memory Stick and USB 3.0

scjjtt, Mi An, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

scjjtt, Mi An, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  5. raspabalsa

Thanks, jig and Rick. I'll look into those, although the only practical use I have for them is to copy pictures from the drone to the iPad. I don't want to juggle cards moving files between laptop, G6, and iPad.

I'm realizing that working with iOS stuff, as far as Apple thinks, means working only with iOS stuff. A couple of days ago I was in the city office, without my laptop. I had to work on Excel files, and I used my G6 and Apple BT keyboard to do so. Then I remembered I had a much larger device, so I decided to try Excel on the iPad. As expected, it looks much better on the 8" screen, tools and menus are well sized, leaving enough room on the screen to work with. But, and this is a big but, Excel on iOS doesn't allow integration with Google Drive. All my work files are on Drive. Excel on the iPad will present you with the option to open files from the loathed black box (iPad's own storage), and from iCloud, but gives the option to "Add Places". Clicked there, saw a lot of cloud services (OneDrive, Dropbox, Box, a dozen other unknown to me services) but no Google Drive. Tried opening Excel files directly from the Drive app on the iPad and Excel will open them read-only. Can't edit unless I save them to the black box, but then I'd have to re-upload them to Drive, not from Excel, but from the Drive app. Too convoluted to be useful.

This means I can't use Excel on the iPad for my work files, unless I went through the wholly impractical process of keeping my work files on Drive and somehow sync them with iCloud. Or move all my work files to iCloud, which I can't do because it's a corporate account, info belongs to the company I work for. Seems the only option to work with Drive-stored Excel files on the iPad is through Google Sheets, but this means converting them online to that proprietary format, and I don't want to do that.

I'll have to keep using a 5.7" screen for Excel when I could have used an 8" screen. It's a real shame. I had hoped I could put the iPad to some real use besides being a drone controller.

Hook, scjjtt, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Raspa, I'm in the same boat as you. I'm trying to help my mother with her iPad and it would be SO much easier if it had an inboard card slot and/or a decent file manager. Right now, I'm also trying to figure out why one of her jigsaw puzzle apps is taking up nearly 4 GB of space...

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. raspabalsa

My very uninformed guess would be that some files are erroneously associated to that game. On my iPad VLC is shown as over 5GB, but that counts the 2 or 3 movies I copied while testing the iPad. Being used to managing files with a file manager :rolleyes: means I forget that I have to launch VLC and use it to delete the movies

scjjtt, EdmundDantes and RickAgresta like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks Raspa. I emailed the company which says they'll respond in 1-2 days, but they haven't yet...

There is an option to 'offload app,' but I don't know what that does so I won't do it yet.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. raspabalsa

"Offloading" an app means the app is deleted from the device's storage, but the data associated with it remains in the device. It's a way to save storage in the device. Offloaded apps appear with a little cloud icon, and can be re-downloaded when needed. When I first got this iPad I enabled the offloading option, but then I saw that 128GB is much more than I'll use in the foreseeable future, so I disabled it. Since I spend time without internet access it makes more sense to keep this disabled because iOS decides by itself which apps to offload and when to do it, so I could find myself without a needed app and without internet access to reload it. For me it's better to keep apps always ready.

10. RickAgresta

I'll do that locally for some apps, like ones I don't use much but don't want to lose -- I use Titanium Backup to save the app and data to the microSD card. kludgy, but it works :vbgrin:

scjjtt and Hook like this.