Raspy flirts with the dark side! What!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 2, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

How does the saying go? "The right way, the wrong way, and the Apple way"? :D
    No, I haven't tried that. But since I need iTunes to transfer anything to the iPad and I already installed it on all my computers, and since I already installed VLC on the iPad, I'll consider the movie transfer issue solved. However, beyond the test movie I played, I'm not using the iPad for movies. I find it uncomfortable to hold an 8" screen while in bed, which is where I watch most of my movies. And as I said above, the large screen means lower pixel density. Movies look much better on my G6 IMO.

More like "every day carry" meaning any device or tool you carry every day. In my case my EDCs are: Leatherman Surge, Sennheiser Momentum BT headset, Energizer headlamp, Apple portable keyboard, and about 1kg of chargers, cables, and adapters. Oh, add an iPad 4 Mini to the mix.

Yeah, I haven't figured how to check the files I download. Where's that pdf? Have to remember to open the Adobe Reader app, it will find and display it. But where in the 128GB storage is it? This is something that seemingly is not for mere mortals to know.

2. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Jeez Raspy, I stop coming by for a little while and you dip into Apple...it's like I don't recognize this place anymore.

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Hi, qf!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

4. raspabalsa

It's more like I was dunked headfirst... I didn't have much say in the matter.

So why am I not complaining much about Apple these days? I'm preparing for my first field trip with drone, tablet, and shiny new powerful laptop! I got a nice new Dell 15" laptop with 8th gen i7, 32GB RAM, 4GB Radeon video, 128 GB SSD, 2TB HDD, and a real, actual, physical number row in the keyboard :D :D . It's not a personal purchase, though. I convinced the boss that my current laptop is not powerful enough for the task, which is true. It takes between 6 and 18 hours to process the pictures taken with the drone, and the new one can do the same in less than a third of the time. Again, the laptop was recommended by the same guy who told me to get the iPad, so I can't remain angry with him anymore. This month has been like Christmas for raspy. Well, not quite, because I don't get to keep any of the toys :( . Kind of like playing with the neighbors' kid's toys on Christmas morning.

5. jigwashere

Except that the neighbors' kid won't keep snatching it back and trying to show you the right way to break it.

6. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Jig, that sounds like a deep childhood scar. Do we need to set up a new thread here on B.H. and get you some therapy?

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

7. jigwashere

All the kings horses.....I'm not sure I can be helped. ;) :D

scjjtt, raspabalsa, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

The Doctor is In. :vbtongue:

yellowsmileyonpsychiatristcouch.gif

scjjtt, RickAgresta, Hook and 2 others like this.
  9. raspabalsa

All the King's doctors wouldn't be able to heal my childhood scars ;). At most they'd cover them with enough band-aids hoping to shut me up for good.

1209722640b.jpg

:eek: (what a creepy pic)

Yesterday I went shopping with my iPad. Got a nice screen protector, a nicer book-style case, and a short bendable but semi-rigid USB cable to connect it to the drone's controller without having loops of cable dangling from the iPad's connector. The iPad looks very cool. I'm thinking about giving it a name. Maybe it's growing on me at last. Not sure if this is a good sign or a bad one. But the iPad performed flawlessly on its first field trip. I'm promoting it to the nighttable. But I'm placing my LG G6 on top of it. I :D

10. raspabalsa

I'm running into some practical problems with iOS and my iPad:

First, and I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the lack of an integrated file manager is a serious hindrance. Well, maybe not if all I did was download music and videos from iTunes, play a few games, and post to social networks. But for work, it's hard to go around without the ability to send/receive/move/copy files. For example, I want to plan several flight missions, and a very nice way to do it is to launch Google Earth on my laptop, go to the area of interest, draw a polygon of the area to the mapped, save it to a kml or kmz file, then import it to the flight plan app, where I can turn the polygon into a working flight plan and execute it. Really nice, especially since I can show the polygon on Google Earth to the interested parties and adjust if needed. But importing the file to the iPad is a PITA. I can save the kml/kmz file to the iCloud Drive, then download it to the iPad. This of course means I need a working internet connection, meaning I can't do this while in the field out of cell coverage. Once the file is on the iPad, I can import it to Google Earth, but I can't import it to the flight app. This app can't access, can't even see the file, even though it's of the proper type and it's already on the iPad. To import it, I have to initiate a file server on the flight app, it will display an IP address, port, username, and password. Then I have to go a web browser, input the server data, then select the file from my computer, and load it to the server. Again, this requires internet connection. The other way to import the file is to email it to the server address, then it can download it. Again, internet needed. In short, I can't transfer files over BT or WiFi, meaning I can't use kml/kmz files to plan a flight once I'm in the field. It's very, very inconvenient.

The second issue is that I've been unable to make IAPs. The apps will show a "your payment method has been declined" message. However, the same payment method is accepted on the App Store and iTunes (I'm still not sure if they're the same or different things). I checked the payment method data, it's ok, made a new purchase from the store, everything ok, again tried the IAP, again payment was declined. The strangest thing is that after the purchase fails I'm redirected to my account settings and asked to enter a payment method again, even though my current method is shown, and as I said above, I'm able to make purchases directly from the store.

The third issue is the lack of control over an app's data. A flight app I installed can download maps for offline use. But there's a glitch: if I have a flight plan drawn on the map, when the app downloads the map tiles it will save them with the drawing of the flight plan on top of it. This can be very annoying when planning a new flight over an area that intersects the tiles with the previous plan. I can't find a way to delete the app's data or cache (the app said it downloads maps to a cache). I guess the only way to fix this is to uninstall and reinstall the app, but then I'll lose my other missions and data, which are stored locally in the black box that is the iPad's storage. I'll give this a few more tries, then I guess I'll have to to ahead and delete the whole app.

I still wonder if I'll ever see this iPad as something other than a drone accessory :D. At least it really excels at that!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019