Raspy flirts with the dark side! What!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Mar 2, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

It's not my fault. Really. Didn't mean to do it. But as of yesterday I'm using an Apple iPad mini 4, WiFi, 128GB. Not as my main device, though, but I think it will be an EDC for the foreseeable future. I had to create my first Apple ID account ever, set the tablet, and now I'm installing apps.

How did this come to pass? The thing is, the company I work for is investing heavily in exploration, and surveying is a priority, so they're building a fleet of drones for aerial photography and mapping. And the last acquisition is a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom model, which has been assigned to yours truly. It's a consumer model, but suitable for quick, small survey jobs. The other thing is that this drone comes with a large "Made for iPhone" decal on the box. The third thing is that connection with my LG G6 is iffy. I don't know if it's the G6 or Oreo or the app (forums online point to one or all of them). Sometimes will connect at once. Other times will not, requiring reboots, reconnects, and strong language to pair phone and drone. The sad fact is that even though the drone is advertised as compatible with Android, it works more reliably with iOS. So the company's surveyors recommended (rather vehemently) that an iPad be purchased for this drone. And now I have it. How do I like it so far? Not much, really. I couldn't beam pictures over BT (tried to set my avatar on my shiny new Apple account with a Pic from my G6), and the whole OS seems to find the notion of a file manager alien. I'm stumbling through settings, and having a hard time getting used to no Back or Recent Apps buttons. Luckily I found that swiping from the bottom will show me the recent apps. The real problems were during setting up the Apple Store. I don't understand why I need to add a payment method before being able to use the Store at all. Then the Bolivian App Store rejected my Colombian credit card, so I had to switch to the Colombian Store. And then the store updated, and neither Bolivia (where I am now) nor Colombia (where I live) appear in the country listing. So I chose the US store. I haven't tried a purchase so I don't know if my card will be accepted or not. I find this too convoluted for devices that someone here said "just work" out of the box, compared to Android devices that supposedly can't do that.

Hardware-wise, this iPad is nice, but nothing to be excited about IMO. Build is solid, screen quality is good, but being an 8" device the pixel density is not so high, so images seem somewhat jagged. I think later I'll watch some movies to see how it fares.

Will I end up embracing the dark side? Remains to be seen, although right now I doubt it. First the OS will have to grow on me. I've invested in many Android apps so I can't just leave for iOS even if I wanted to.

Now I'm off to play with my new toy. The drone, I mean. Well, it's not really mine, but I'm not letting anyone else use it :D

BTW, where are the cookies? Everyone promised them, but now that I finally came here they're nowhere to be seen.

2. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

Well you've got one foot in the dark side and the other in the light, so you're more in the shady side than the dark side. Maybe you don't get cookies until you go all the way.

I actually like Apple a lot more under cook than jobs. The downside is that pricing is pretty extreme, though that's increasingly true in android, yet not entirely true for non-pro ipads. The newest regular ipad at $329 seems nicely priced. The upcoming ipad mini 5 is expected to be priced similarly. Given what I've heard about Apple's support, that's pretty attractive.

Hook, scjjtt, raspabalsa and 3 others like this.
  3. raspabalsa

I don't plan to fully move to the dark side, so I had to get some Oreos by myself :D Day 3 using the iPad, still struggling with settings and everyday stuff. Connected it to a Windows computer with no i-apps installed, discovered I can copy files from iPad to PC, but not the other way around. Learned that I have to install iTunes on the PC to copy anything via USB. Booo that. Any Android device "just works" and can receive files via USB without needing a 3rd-party app (3rd-party from the PC's perspective). Ok, maybe I'm being too mean with this new platform. But transfering files should not require an additional program IMO. I have to keep using iOS because of the drone. It really works flawlessly with the iPad. Connects within 5 seconds, never drops connection - if within range of course -, and the drone apps look more polished in iOS than in Android.

Funny thing: I'm filling the iPad with Google apps: Drive, Maps, Earth, Chrome, Sheets, etc. Second funny thing: I just paired my beloved Apple Portable Keyboard with an actual Apple device for the first time ever. I've only used it with Android devices since I purchased it 7 years ago. I think I'm going to use it a lot with this iPad, since the on-screen keyboard is way too large in Portrait and positively huge on landscape.

Now I'm off to install iTunes on my work PC, and see if I can finally transfer a couple of pics to the iPad, one for my Apple ID avatar and another for the wallpaper.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    scjjtt, Mi An, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I agree with your comments about not being able to simply plug an iPad into a PC and manage its files. I've found that to be frustrating, too. I think if you get sucked a bit deeper into Apple's ecosystem, all of that would work pretty well (using iTunes, Apple Cloud, etc.).

In defense of the iPad: My daughter has had her iPad since toddlerhood, and my wife her iPad mini for almost as long. They keep working. They keep getting updates. No, they're not the fastest and bestest, but in comparison, my son couldn't get his Android tablets to go for more than a couple of years before they stopped getting updates. Heck, even the batteries on the iPads seem to be fine, while the Android devices crapped out after a few years.

I'm not much of a tablet fan to begin with, actually. Someday, I hope to have a Chromebook that converts to a tablet, though. :)

Eat more Oreos! It'll make the transition to the dark side easier. :newpalm:

scjjtt, Mi An, RickAgresta and 3 others like this.
  5. raspabalsa

"Frustrating" doesn't begin to describe how convoluted the process of copying stuff to the iPad is. To copy a movie I need two 3rd-party apps: iTunes on my Windows PC, and VLC on the iPad. Why VLC? Because the movie was in mkv format and iTunes refused to add it to the library. Even then I had to wade through several steps: launch iTunes, click on the teeny tiny iPad icon below the menu, then click "File Sharing", then click on "VLC", then click on "Add File", and finally I was presented with a nice Windows file browsing window. I guess Apple couldn't get around it any more and had no choice but to use it. But they did their best to hide it under many layers of non-intuitive clicking :D

I'm not sure I'll want to get deeper into this ecosystem. Too many roundabout ways to do stuff I've been doing straightforwardly in Android and Windows. Or maybe I just need a "For Old Grumpy Dummies" guide. Maybe jig is right, and I should get an iMac for work, a MacBook and iPhone for myself, and sell all my Windows and Android gadgets. I guess once assimilation has been completed I'd be happy again. Yeah right :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

From what I've seen, a couple of years is the best case for updates on android tablets. Get a model that's not very popular and you could be quickly abandoned but without the manufacturer bothering to tell you either way so you live in vain hope for a year or so before finally realizing you're toast.

I have mad respect for what I've seen of Apple's upgrade policies. This nonsense was kind of understandable when our ram and silicon went obsolete practically overnight and old phones would literally choke new OS animations, but we've been in a sort of plateau for half a decade at least where the old gear is still very, very capable.

lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 3 others like this.
  7. raspabalsa

Ok, Apple support may be great, updates may be plenty, those are things I'll see in the next months and years. But right now I'm definitely not having a good enough experience with this tablet. Take the on-screen keyboard, for example. As I said above, it's huge and very awkward to use. And it does not have a number row! No problem, let's install SwiftKey, the keyboard I've used for years on Android. Surprise #1: the iOS version is severely crippled compared to Android. Can't be resized, can't be split, can't be moved, and does not have a number row! Unbelievable. Off it went. Let's try Gboard. Again, it's a dumbed down version of the Android one. Ditto everything I said about SwiftKey. Off it went too. All three keyboards I tested take almost a third of the screen in portrait mode, and almost half the screen in landscape. This is ridiculous. The apps I'm using require lots of numerical and text input all mixed up (coordinates, codes, formulas, etc) , and switching between ABC and 123 buttons is very annoying.

Now I read that the "number row" is in fact there, because the numbers do appear on the same keys as the letters in the QWERTY row. To type a number I have to swipe downward on that key. But only on the built-in keyboard. On Gboard the number row is in the same place, but I have to swipe upwards on the key to type it. And SwiftKey still doesn't show the "number row" anywhere. Im laughing at the absurdity of it. I see no way to type numbers and letters fast and easily.

Now I'm thinking about adding an iOS license to my AdGuard perpetual license pack, because I'm seeing some really awful ads on Safari and Chrome. Big, colorful NSFW ads. I've just googled drone-related stuff, so I don't understand why I'm getting all this. <sigh> I'm going to need a lot more Oreos than I thought to get through this. The bright side is that I'm thoroughly enjoying the drone :newpalm:

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

There, there. Would you like a little Kool aid with those Oreos? :D

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

One keyboard tip I use frequently on my iPhone and iPads is this: If needing to enter or edit only a single digit or punctuation mark, you can long-press a finger on the 123 key and while maintaining pressure, you'll see the keyboard convert to number keys and primary punctuation keys, allowing you to slide your finger up to whichever number key you want to type. Lift your finger only when you are pressing on the number you want. Releasing the pressure types the chosen number and automatically brings back the regular keyboard display. This works while long-pressing the #+= key too, allowing quick access to the third character/symbols keyboard. Some primary keys also have secondary characters (i.e. various accent marked vowels for non-English) or symbols assigned to long-presses, my favorite of which is the long-press of the number zero to bring up the degree temperature symbol ° . :vbcool:

Welcome to the garden, raspy. :vbsmile:

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

perhaps a warm beverage would be better (if I find the time, I'll update this to have Sheldon saying that...)