r0k runs Boston!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by r0k, Apr 21, 2017.

1. r0k

r0k Dazed

Well the cold is gone and the hamstring is just murmuring quietly to remind me it's still there... The doc cleared me to run Big Sur so now my mind has turned to packing, bib pickup, bus loading at 4am. Did I just say 4am?!? Well the race starts at 6:45am so boarding a bus to the start at 4am isn't that extreme. It's just that my plane doesn't even land until 10pm the night before. :eek: I've never run a marathon on sleep deprivation before... No. Wait. I've only run 4 marathons. Of those. Let's see. 4 of them were on varying levels of sleep deprivation due to nerves, so a late night flight might not be such a big deal after all... My bib number is 206 if you want to track me. Big Sur has iOS and Android runner tracking apps if you search "bsim" in the app store. The tallest hill in Boston is less than half as tall as that giant hill leading to Hurricane Point starting at the 10 mile mark. Then there are seven more hills, most of which are more challenging than the infamous heartbreak hill. I expect to be pretty tired Sunday, no matter how relaxed a pace I happen to choose...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Best of luck, Jeff. You'll have your cheering section in the breakroom (though probably not at 4am unless we are still finishing up Saturday night :vbgrin: ). :thumbsup:

r0k, scjjtt, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Well, there is a couple of hours time difference, so 4am in California would be 6am in Minneapolis. But, no, I'll probably start cheering around actual race start time! :D

Could you run in Heelys to improve your time on the down slope? ;)

Good luck, Jeff! :newpalm:

r0k, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Best luck Jeff!

r0k, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 1 other person like this.
  5. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

My apologies for not getting here sooner, Jeff - I hope things went well!

r0k, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  6. r0k

r0k Dazed

big sur jeff on bixby bridge s.jpeg
    I had a BEAUTIFUL race at Big Sur. There's a reason they call this race "BEAUTY and the Beast".
    I had a TIRING race at Big Sur. The hills are the a reason they call this race "Beauty and the BEAST".

My finish time was 4:58:18. Two full marathons under 5 hours in under 2 weeks. I'm due for a rest and I'm taking it. On my way to physical therapy this afternoon. I expect it to be uneventful as my hamstring felt better after Big Sur than it did after Boston. My right knee was so sore I couldn't go down stairs but it felt better by the second day after the race.

scjjtt, lelisa13p, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  7. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Congratulations again, r0k! It does look beautiful.It does look tiring. Best wishes on a speedy recovery as you prepare for next week's marathon. :newpalm:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r0k, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  8. r0k

r0k Dazed

I decided to defer my Indy Mini entry until 2018. I'm exhausted after 2 marathons in 13 days so I've been doing some binge watching while I wait for what seems like perpetual rain to end so I can go outside (and remain dry) for the first time since I returned from California. My next race is May 21 which I will be walking in the back as "sweeper" and then June 25th back to Boston when I run the BAA 10K.

lelisa13p, Hook, scjjtt and 1 other person like this.
  9. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Indeed, Congrats again, Jeff - Well done, my friend! Good to hear your hammie is doing better, as well. Continued best wishes for the healing there.

Now rest up and recover! :newpalm:

r0k, lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.
  10. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Jeff does that qualify you for marathon maniacs?

r0k, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.