R.I.P. Windows 7 - 2020/01/14

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Jan 13, 2020.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

um, I thought Edmund and Lauren were discussing Win10 today, Hook…

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

You can stop the notices. See here...

[​IMG]

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I thought these blue screens were popping up while using Win 7. Oh, well, never mind.

I've never had Win 10 interrupt my work. It has set hours in which it is allowed to update and usually I will check on Wed (Tuesday being the day most updates appear) and execute any I find. If an update wants to run while I'm working, it asks me and gives me the opportunity to save work first.

I guess I'm just confused (and, no, my week-end with my son in CO did not involve any mind altering substances :vbtongue:). My confusion comes naturally. :vbwink: :vbrolleyes:

4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I don't care about no stinkin' notices. :vbmad: I care that Win 10 loses my work whenever it gets the urge and that my reliable Win 7 is now radioactive. I gave Win 7 until the end of this week and then the internet connection gets shut off. :vbfrown: Oh, how I miss reliability. :vbmad:

Win 7 never - NEVER - never gave me a BSOD. You hear that, Microsoft? NEVER! :vbmad:

Wow. That's some head of steam I've built up. :vboops:

5. RickAgresta

Maybe you could send your phone-chomping iguana on a visit to Redmond…

6. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I dont use Win10 often, but I'm with Hook-even on the one computer I have that's a truly bottom of the barrel Lenovo with Windows 10, it's been quite stable and plods along nicely. Maybe there's some legacy software issue going on?

As far as the EOL for Win7, I think the fact that Microsoft has supported it for 11 years and is kind enough to remind everyone that they're on their own now is actually better than we've seen from them in the past...if anything, Windows 7 has seen more ongoing support than some older versions of iOS.

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

No problem Hook, I've had similar misunderstandings. I'm working through some of the solutions on various pages. My HD tests as 'healthy,' but looking at other things. I misquoted the most common error, which is "Unexpected Store Exception." Once I got some kind of kernel error, but it flashed through to the reboot screen too quickly to write it all down.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. RickAgresta

probably just wasting bandwidth, but here are some screen captures from my work PC, regarding how to handle updates; sequence of left-clicks was Windows/Start icon, the Settings gear, then Update & Security,
    then Windows update, to get to the first picture, and finally Advance options for 2nd pic

2020-02-03_10-01-08.jpg

2020-02-03_10-00-23.jpg

scjjtt likes this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Thanks, RA. :vbsmile: I used that process to postpone the major Win 10 upgrade a couple of months ago and it did indeed stop the upgrade, up until the stop date passed and I found that the upgrade had happened anyway while I wasn't looking. :vbrolleyes: I give up on wrangling Win 10, at least on this laptop. :vbfrown:

RickAgresta and scjjtt like this.
  10. RickAgresta

General question, all: those who've used Win 7 and are now using Win 10 (or will be), and I'm sure you'll let me know if I've muffed up, don't you think it would have been nice if Microsoft had offered 'transition tips'? in Win 7, I used the SNAP feature a lot -- double left-click on the bottom of a window, and that window takes up the full height of the monitor. by default, Win 10 doesn't have that behavior, at least, not on my work laptop. Today, I got fed up enough to look for it on the 'net, and -- surprise, surprise -- it's an option in Windows Settings > System > Multitasking :

2020-02-13_13-28-17.jpg

Works just fine!

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.