R.I.P. Windows 7 - 2020/01/14

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Jan 13, 2020.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yes, this! If what you call a crash is a random restart, then we're talking about the same loony behavior. When I think of crash, I think about the old BSOD. Because the ability to choose when Windows Updates are installed in Win 10 is not present, sometimes an Update will decide to install itself at some random moment, restarting the laptop afterward with no notification. I HATE THIS! :vbmad:

I plan to use the Win 7 laptop as another file cabinet. And to budget for the purchase of a new laptop next year because this one is :vbmad: :vbmad: :vbmad: :vbmad: :vbmad:.

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

scjjtt and headcronie like this.
  3. lelisa13p

I certainly will. Thanks! :vbsmile: EDIT: That was really good reading! Preparing to fiddle... :vbwink:

And Microsoft has decided to leave us with some lovely parting gifts for Win 7 today, 5 Critical Updates, which I'm downloading and installing now.

scjjtt, jigwashere and headcronie like this.
  4. lelisa13p

There were actually, and apparently finally, a total of 6 Critical Updates for this evening, after which laptop needed to restart to finish the installation of said Updates. Upon restarting, the first thing that appeared after logging into Windows was this screen. I don't remember Windows XP Pro displaying such.

Windows 7 Support EOL Note - January 14, 2020_Support Has Ended Today.jpg

jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

do remember, Windows XP end of life support came in a kinder, gentler era :vbrolleyes:

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  6. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

That is absolutely the best thing I've seen Microsoft do. No other OS vendor that I know of has ever notified the end user that their OS is out of support like that. Certainly not Apple, and Google only within the past few months, and only on Chromebooks (and you still have to go digging for it.) Windows XP did have a notice though not nearly as big and in your face.

So it is sad that Windows 7 is now out of support, but you have to give them credit for notifying you that your time is up.

Interestingly, I'm writing this on a system that is trapped on Windows 10, 1607. 1607 is End of Life, except for those of us that have an Atom processor. For us lucky few, we'll get updates for 1607 until 2023 when the device was originally EOL with Win 8 that it shipped with.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/19/16001366/microsoft-windows-10-creators-update-atom-pcs

upload_2020-1-14_21-29-5.png

7. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

The screen I get is the blue screen with the sideways frown emoji. Yesterday, the PC was fined. Today, it took 3 tries to boot up. What happens is most of the time is the laptop freezes momentarily and then during one of those freezes will ultimately crash. A while back this was happening and then it 'cured' itself for quite some time. Now it's happening again. The laptop is 2.5 years old or so, and for a cheap laptop, that might be the expected lifespan. I don't know.

Headcronie, I'll check that out. I did record the 'stopcode' messages and Googled them, but it rarely was helpful. Most of them are something like 'illegal memory assignment' or something. I'll start recording them again and checking that site.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.
  8. lelisa13p

Liked preceding post for the shared agony of that lopsided mocking smiley, and the oh-so polite language that it uses while trashing any unsaved open items (if I knew I'd be losing them immediately, I'd have SAVED THEM ASAP!). :vbmad:

My events occur out of the blue (screen :vbrolleyes: ) and never on boot-up. They are totally random.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  9. lelisa13p

AND IT HAPPENED AGAIN! WIN 10 LOST MY WORK. :vbmad:

Attempting to recreate content but :vbmad: :vbmad: :vbmad: X Infinity. :vbmad:

scjjtt likes this.
  10. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

It's fine that MS gives you the end of support date and cover their a$$es, but it is completely unacceptable, having warned you, that they continue interfering with your decision to keep using it.