R.I.P. Windows 7 - 2020/01/14

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lelisa13p, Jan 13, 2020.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

In case anyone out there (besides me) is still using a Windows 7 machine, this link continues the article from Microsoft and has linked Questions/Answers regarding what to do next.

I think I'm having Win XP Pro flashbacks circa 2014. :vbfrown:

Hook, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Hook, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

That's an option, although not for me. My Win 7 laptop is pretty nearly popping at the seams anyway. What I'm facing now is backing up all of my documents again and copying them over to the Win 10 laptop. The last time I did it was at the original setup of the Win 10 laptop more than a year ago. I kept mostly using the Win 7 laptop because it was much more pleasant and reliable to use. And it never arbitrarily restarted itself, losing in-progress, unsaved work, like the manner in which the accursed Win 10 machine loves to surprise me. :vbmad:

Housekeeping is such a thankless task. :vbsmile:

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

<RA hastens to point out that he 'Liked' post#3 for the heart-felt honesty, *NOT* for the loss of work>

Granted, I've only had my W10 laptop for (rounding up) for 20 days, but it's been a good bit more civil in doing reboots…maybe a setting somewhere? Regardless, good luck Madam_Moderator.

lelisa13p, jigwashere and scjjtt like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

You know, there is no problem with Win 7 (or XP for that matter) if they aren't connected to the internet. How much of what you do day to day is dependent on the internet? :vbwink: Reminds me of a lawyer I hired once. Taught cybersecurity to other lawyers. All his client work was done on a computer that never saw the internet. Had a second computer for internet searching.

That said, I have found Win 10 to be very stable (ugly, boring, bad UI/UX but stable) on both my main computers, one a converted 8 year old desktop, one a new Thinkpad. So, I agree with Rick, there maybe something else going on with your current Win10 computer.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The primary vulnerabilities are from the internet, but could be any external source (e.g., files from your internal network, USB drives, etc.). You'd want to keep all applications, especially security apps, up-to-date. :)

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 1 other person like this.
  7. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I would assume the internet free computer is also not on even an internal network. Was certainly the case with the lawyer. Then, essentially nothing is transferred to the network-free computer without thorough scanning of the files and the USB transfer medium. Of course, in the lawyers case, I suspect documents were transferred off the network-less computer but never transferred onto. But I'm only guessing... I didn't ask him about that. He told me horror stories about what happens with cloud storage, which I still use (limited use with Dropbox). :vbwink:

8. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Today marks the end of an era. Where the OS was mostly just that, a platform to run software that you decided to install. Now it is some convoluted pile of steaming crap with built in crapware installed fresh from a vanilla install. Candy Crush? Get the flip out of here! Gone are the days where you controlled what was installed, let alone when it was updated.

Maybe a glimmer of hope - rumors are starting to swirl around that Microsoft is killing the app store for Enterprise and Education SKUs. Reason being? Nobody is developing for it, or using it. I can only hope this trickles down and the app store is killed off entirely. This would make administration so much easier. I can dream, right? :)

Thanks for all the years of service, Windows 7. You were the bomb...

9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I don't know if it's my crappy laptop or Windows 10, but I seem to go through periods where it crashes 1-2 times a day. Then weeks will go by with nothing, and then it starts again. Lately, I'm back in the mode of it just crashing.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  10. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

BlueScreenView can help narrow down the cause of your crashes. You could have a bad driver, or a component that uses a driver that has no updates that is causing instability. Maybe that component is replaceable. If you're not familiar with what processes are attached to which drivers, it could be tricky.

scjjtt, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.