R.I.P Nexus 5

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by Hook, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

Unfortunately, I think it had one too many nights on it's wireless charging pads. I discovered it with it's back distended. I let it sit for a few days turned off and then carefully pried off the back. The battery looks like a water bed. :vbeek: I tried to gingerly to remove the plate necessary to free the battery, but one of the screws right next to the battery won't budge and and I decided maybe I don't want to work it any harder. Sad to see her go. It was a great back-up phone. This is another reason we need removable batteries that are easy to check and monitor (I'm looking at you, Google :vbmad:).

Will take it to Best Buy tomorrow and see if they will safely dispose of it safely for me.

I love my Nexus 6p, but the Nexus 5 was a sentimental favorite, kind of like my TX. :hi:

raspabalsa, scjjtt, lelisa13p and 3 others like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Are you able to erase all your personal data?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  4. Hook

No, but I don't really care. Anything actually important is well-encrypted. I'll probably take it to the small, veteran-owned repair shop where I know the guys rather than Best Buy to dispose of it.

jigwashere, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Sorry for your loss. :vbfrown:

One of my traveling TXs had a very slight bowing of the back, too. :vbeek: Of course it was the newer of the two, and was the one that would hold a charge for longer than 2 mins. :vbrolleyes:

Mi An, Hook, jigwashere and 1 other person like this.
  6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

How long was the Nexus 5 your primary phone? It seems like you had it a good long time. I feel like I've had my Nexus 6 for years, but it hasn't been 2, yet. I see no reason to upgrade (famous last words).

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

As long as I can - I'll buy phones that have removable batteries!

Each evening I plug my LG v10 in & turn on my backup Samsung S4. It too is a great back up phone & I enjoy using it on WiFi.

I sure wish Google would have continued the Nexus line. To me the new Pixel's are too expensive. Although you couldn't remove the Nexus batteries - they were a great value!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa, Mi An, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. Hook

I bought my Nexus 5 as soon as it was released, end of October 2013. It was my primary phone for 3 years. I first replaced it in October 2017, then gave that first 6p to my wife and went back to my Nexus 5 until Jan when I finally purchased my current Nexus 6p. At the time I noted that the Nexus 5's battery was suddenly draining very quickly. :vbeek: That was a sudden change. Probably should have suspected a problem was developing.

9. Hook

The Nexus 5 was taken to the repair place this morning. They took one look and looked like they were going to send in the bomb robot. :vbrolleyes: They suggested I was smart to not try harder to free the battery from the ribbon cable it was wrapped (very tightly at this point) in (which was secured under the plate that wouldn't come off). Note that the back hadn't just swelled, but had detached at the corner, which anyone who has ever tried to get the back off a Nexus 5 would know takes some doing.

Safely disposed of.

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Wow. :vbeek:

Mi An and Hook like this.