R.I.P. Moto Z/Motomods

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Mi An, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Motorola just had a small press event to announce the Moto Z3, which turns out to be the Moto Z2. They didn't bother to release a flagship this year. Last year they released just 2 models, the Z2 Force (a flagship with shattershield protective material over the glass) and Z2 Play, but no Z2. This year, they're releasing the Z2 as if it were the Z3. Snapdragon 835, 4GB RAM, a normal 2017 flagship.

She's dead, Jim. :vbfrown:

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-z-gen-3

EDIT: at second glance, I was wrong. These aren't last year's flagship specs. They're worse. They took away the Z2 Force's 1440p and put a FHD+ panel in there. It's like they took the spare parts of the Z2 Force and Z3 Play and cobbled them into the Z3 Frankenflagship.

So, yeah, I'm keeping my eyes open for a yummy fire sale. MSRP is $480 according to CNET. By winter, who knows?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    scjjtt, raspabalsa, Hook and 3 others like this.
  2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

My wife is kind of having the same reaction. She loved her moto z Droid Play that went into the bog and we just assumed that we would get an update of the same phone, the Moto Z2 Play (they dropped the Droid thing and just created a version for Verizon as well as the other carriers). We have Verizon Pay-as-you-go. However, the first thing she noticed was that they removed OIS from the camera, which is very important to her. And they made it thinner, with shorter battery life, the other thing she liked. She liked the weight of the z over the z2 as well. With a few deft strokes they had turned a phone she adored into the Moto Meh. She also tried the z3 in the Verizon store and was equally unimpressed.

So now, she'd considering getting a Pixel 2, pricey as it is, because it really gives her what she wants, especially camera-wise. And, since she likes thick and heavy, I have pointed out to her she can get one of those heavy battery cases from the Ramones in Taiwan. :vbgrin:

We'll see if the camera or our bank account wins out. :vbrolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I've never seen a company listen so closely to what people love about their phones and then so surgically remove all of those things in subsequent generations. The headlines about the Z3, at least, have been crazy generous to Moto. Outlets that normally seem like they're looking for a target to bash have been pretty distracted by the mostly useless 5g mod that might someday be useful somewhere. It's weird. Like they're afraid to lose verizon advertising or something.

When you talk to the ramones again, maybe ask if they've ever considered putting a slideout keyboard in one of their battery cases :p

lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

This experience is similar to my wife's with her Moto Z Play. In 3 months it will be 2 years old, but the battery already has a significantly shorter endurance, so she's using the battery mod as a permanent attachment. I thought about replacing it with a newer model but the Z2P has a smaller battery and offers very little in the way of improvements. The Z3P has the same battery as the Z2P, with a slightly more powerful CPU and a significantly larger screen, meaning more power demand, so it has even less battery time available. I'm thinking about other models, even though that means losing the two mods she has. Sadly, it's no big loss: my wife seldom uses the speaker mod, and the very fact that she must use the battery mod means the phone is no longer in top condition.
    Yeah... I remember how awesome it was at the beginning, when my wife's ZP would run more than 2 days on a single battery charge. The best feature, thrown away in every following iteration. Sad indeed.

5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

jigwashere, Mi An and Hook like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I've gotten a lot of used electronics including my most recent Z Play, but it's more dangerous than ever for cell phones. Blacklists were supposed to help prevent theft, but they really just shifted it around. People will sell their phone, claim it was stolen AFTER selling it (so checking the IMEI at the time of sale won't help) so they get the purchase price and the insurance claim, and there's nothing you can do about it. Good luck even so much as successfully reporting the insurance perp if you bother to try, but you'll never get your phone off the blacklist.

I'm kind of hoping demand for the Z3 is a little soft, leading to steep sales, precisely so I'm not tempted to roll the dice on the used market in the future. I've been pretty lucky in the past, but it's probably best not to push my luck.