QuickInstall.exe not working in Windows 7!

Discussion in 'Palm' started by StephenT3, Jul 2, 2012.

1. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

I spoke too soon -thought my Palm desktop install in my new Windows 7 laptop had gone flawlessly, it hasn't. The QuickInstall.exe doesn't work. When I click on it via the desktop, the 'egg timer' starts, then simply disappears after 5 seconds. If I try to double click an 'exe' program, I get the error message - "there was a problem sending the command to the program". Install is enabled in the hotsync manager.

Anyone know how to fix this?

2. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

It doesn't work on Vista or Win7. No fix. Just get Pruss' MyInstall for anything that doesn't have its own install routine. You can find it on the TX Help page in my sig.

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

StephenT3, that's as far as I got with all the Palm Desktop installation in Win7. Either you do as Hook suggests, or try the following, disclaiming that it may work or not. The QuickInstall.exe application works by creating a system folder, into which everything intended to be installed in the handheld, is dropped. AFAIK, what doesn't work is the QuickInstall automated addition of elements to that system folder, but the Install functionality to the handheld device does work. YMMV though. I suggest you find that system folder in your user folder, and create a Windows shortcut. Place the shortcut in your desktop, and whenever you wish to install something, open the shortcut and copy paste the Palm .prc or .pdg in the inside. Next do a HotSync as usual. Of course, remember making a backup of your handheld contents with a previous HotSync, just in case. See if it works for you.

4. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

Thanks for both your responses...

Now I'm truly stumped!! Did a search for my user folder within the 'palm' folder under program files, and there is no such folder?? Yet my desktop is now full of 8 years of contacts, calendar entries etc. - so where is it all being stored? (Did a laptop search, and there is a 'user' folder in the general 'my photos' (which is empty) I'm beginning to dislike windows 7 !

5. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

I feel myself becoming a nuisance now, which I dislike intensely - so I'll be brief! Found the QuickInstall folder

(pathway was C:\Users\My Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Palm\UserName\QuickInstall)

Made a shortcut to desktop, and put a 'prc' in it and did a hotsync Placed it first in the main folder, then tried the 'handheld' subfolder - hotsync went fine, but program did not install, and remains in the QuickInstall folder. Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

6. hal

Hmmmm, seems not. OK, see if in your user profile, the QuickInstall folder contains anything, possibly two folders, one called "handheld" or something, another one called "Card". If these folders are not there, then there are no more options, I think that Hook's posted option is the only one left.

7. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

Yes, my user folder contains both those sub folders (handheld & card). I put the 'prc' program in the handheld one, hotsynced, and the program didn't load and remains in the handheld folder...

8. hal

The QuickInstall.exe is not working at all. Then you should follow Hook's suggestion. Use MyInstall.

9. StephenT3

StephenT3 Mobile Deity

OK, downloaded the program to my laptop. Unzipped it, but I can't work out how to install it properly on my Palm card!! There are two applications (1) AutoInstall & (2) MyInstall. I created a directory on my card (called it MyInstall) and put the 2 x applications in it. My Palm doesn't even see the folder.

Have you a Janet & John version (really simple!) of how to install this program on my Palm - unfortunately the developer doesn't provide any installation info as he's assumed a level of competency, that I obviously don't have :)

Many thanks...

10. Hook

Hook Hookette says 'Tis the season!

Since they are executables they need to go in the Palm/Launcher folder. You then put anything you want to install in the MyInstall folder and run MyInstall (which will now show up on the card category or all).

I never used the auto version. If you run that, it installs a new preference panel that allows you to elect to have anything in the MyInstall folder installed every time the SD card is inserted. I tend not to have thing that automated. ;-)

Hope that's clear and I haven't forgotten some small detail (i have been away from Palm for a while now )