Quick question. SD card Lock?

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by t0ny1439, Oct 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t0ny1439

t0ny1439 Mobile Enthusiast

Hi, just wondering. When my SD card is inserted into my handheld should it be set on lock? When I take it out should it be on lock? And should it ever be on lock?

Last thing, can anyone recommend a site for me to go to for this type of information?

2. lord_shar

lord_shar I see fragged people...

The SD-lock prevents any changes to its contents while engaged. This is similar to a "write-protect" tab common to old-style floppy disks. Therefore, if you lock your SD-card and insert it into your PDA, you can still access its information, but you will not be able to add/delete/edit any content.

3. Gerard

Gerard Mobile Deity

That depends on what you use the card for. Do you ever want to write new files to it from the device? If so, the lock will stop that and give you an error message. Do you have documents stored there you might edit? Same deal. Programs which save new support files there the same applies, perhaps with a little more risk.
    However, if you have only simple needs for this SD card, like playback of MP3 or video files, well, lock it up if you are worried about an accidental format or deletion. Seems unlikely, but maybe if you lend your card to someone else it could protect your data. Of course, they have the same easy access to that little lock switch you do. Unless you use some Krazy glue on it. That'd be like making it into a fixed CD though, useful no more for new data.

4. t0ny1439

t0ny1439 Mobile Enthusiast

Wow. Thanks for the help.