Questions about Palm III Series PDA

Discussion in 'Palm' started by sega dude, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sega dude

sega dude Mobile Enthusiast

I want to buy a Palm III Series PDA (The IIIc specifically) and i have a few questions about it.

1. None of the PCs in my house have a serial port. So I will need to buy a serial to USB cable or a serial PCI card. Which is better for syncing the PDA? Will any USB to serial cable work?

2. Is there any way I can sync the PDA with my MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6.5?

3. Is the Palm Desktop software compatible with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit? I also have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Windows XP Home 32 bit pc's in my home. Will anyone of those work?

4.What games and software do you recommend?

In case your wondering why I want a Palm III PDA, I am a sucker for old technology. I love using and collecting old technology. I have also heard the Palm III series is very reliable.

2. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2

QUOTE -=sega dude;I want to buy a Palm III Series PDA (The IIIc specifically) and i have a few questions about it.

1. None of the PCs in my house have a serial port. So I will need to buy a serial to USB cable or a serial PCI card. Which is better for syncing the PDA? Will any USB to serial cable work? Eitehr should work, just make certain the selection includes USB drivers for the desktop OS, Windows version or the Mac version.

2. Is there any way I can sync the PDA with my MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6.5? I am not familiar with the MAC OS versions and differences.

3. Is the Palm Desktop software compatible with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit? I also have Vista Home Premium 32 bit and Windows XP Home 32 bit pc's in my home. Will anyone of those work? XP Home should be good. The 64 bit is a NO.

4.What games and software do you recommend?Totally depends on your interest, the IIC is color and not certain the OS version your unit may have, OS 3.5 or OS 4, application compatibility will need to be double checked before installation.

In case your wondering why I want a Palm III PDA, I am a sucker for old technology. I love using and collecting old technology. I have also heard the Palm III series is very reliable.The IIIxe may be a better choice, it uses AAA batteries, has enhanced grey scale screen and is shorter than the IIIC which has the early Lition Ion style battery which its shelve life may be nearing EOL. My IIIxe is still good.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  3. reb1

reb1 Mobile Deity

4. sega dude

sega dude Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for all your help everyone. I went with the lllxe like BAB2000 said and im loving it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.