Question about getting an Unlocked phone from eBay and activating with AT&T

Discussion in 'AT&T' started by qkrzazzang, Nov 1, 2011.

1. qkrzazzang

qkrzazzang Newbie

Hi. If I buy an unlocked phone from eBay seller, am I able to go to AT&T, sign up for pre-paid plan and get the sim card? I bought unlocked iPhone 3Gs last year(?) and I went to sign up with AT&T but they didn't let me because it was unlocked..
    And do I have to be 18 to sign up for the pre-paid plan (if they let me)? I already have an existing account for my previous prepaid phone that I've been using.. but I really want a smartphone.
    Thanks in advance!
    Alex

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Hi qkrzazzang, welcome to Brighthand. Normally the answer to this would be yes, however AT&T has special rules when it comes to iPhones. You can get around this, though.

First off, have you been using that previous pre-paid phone for at least six months? If so, you're good to go, and can skip this next part.

If not, you'll need to go to an AT&T store and ask for a new SIM card for your phone. Don't mention the iPhone to them. Take the new SIM they give you--it's a little plastic square with some metallic contacts on it--and activate it with your account, either online or over the phone. If you need to give the IMEI (serial number) for your phone, use the one from your old prepaid phone. You'll find it under the battery.

Once your new SIM is activated, insert it into the SIM card slot on the iPhone, and you should be good to go.

3. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Adama, I thought ATT had a way to detect if it was an iPhone? has that changed?

4. qkrzazzang

qkrzazzang Newbie

Hey Adama,
    I used my old prepaid phone since 2 years ago. And I am looking for Samsung Galaxy SII, any new steps that I have to go through?