Quality Video on Palm: Full guide

Discussion in 'Palm' started by junglemike, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Shawn510

Shawn510 Oh, Snap!

Ok, using pocket DVD and tcpmp, I was able to get Divx video to play. But xvid plays audio only. This doesn't sound normal, and xvid seems to give better compression.
    Any suggestions?

2. kza

kza Mobile Enthusiast

thx junglemike
    but im having a problem here
    i can watch the certain "to encode" video on the computer, but when i wanna run the 2 jobs, i get the error "no audio codec to decompress source audio" or sth like it
    i ran gspot codec recognition and it said i have 3 possible codecs for the source vid (its ac3 encoded)
    installed ac3 filter, but still same thing
    i followed mikes rules somewhere on page 11 of this post-the 7 step guide or so

could i have done sth wrong?
    thx

3. Hawkmoon

Hawkmoon Mobile Consultant

I suppose everyone has seen the 0.66 update of TCPMP is now available:D
    Probably last to see it :(

4. silvarbullet1

silvarbullet1 PALM addict: England.

it is possible, or maybe probable, that you might lose your data, unless using TT5 :D however i expect you will have time to press the off button before your battery finally dies: backup, then experiment..

5. debbiebp

debbiebp Newbie

Hey JM :

Your guide is great. I was successfully able to download and play the Star Wars Trailor.

Thank you, I'll play with it a little longer.

6. mrcreativity

mrcreativity Mobile Evangelist

Has anyone ever tried PocketDivXEncoder?

Its free, easy and unbelievably fast.

I think its worth a try.

7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Well, it's not really free...you should donate to the author if you like using it.

The author of PocketDivxEncoder has sort of moved on to a new product called Lathe. It seems to have everything PDE has and then some. You'll recognize the familiar interface. He is supposed to still continue with PDE updates as well, but Lathe looks like a "cleaner" product. It's not like Lathe is super expensive either -- I think the registration was about $5. It may have gone up recently.

Anyway, both PDE and Lathe are excellent pieces of software. It's what I've been using for all of my Palm video conversions, and it works great.

8. mrcreativity

mrcreativity Mobile Evangelist

It is free. How many people ever actually donate money? I know we should, but we dont. Thats why piracy exists and will exists for a long time to come.

Lathe is a lot better than PDE. I feel the quality of the videos is a lot better when using the former. It is faster as well.

9. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Well, not that I'm being critical of others or that I'm some sort of software saint by any means, but I donated to the PocketDivxEnc developer, which is how I was able to get the very latest copy of PDE that he does not have available for download on his public site (yet). I also purchased Lathe. I've probably donated to about 1/2 dozen or so freeware projects in the last few years. Again, I'm not looking for charity write-offs or anything, but if I do find an application useful, I will donate to the cause and will also help promote it via word of mouth.

Most of the developers do something a little extra for those who donate -- if nothing else, they will tend to provide them with a little more technical support than the average joe who doesn't donate. I'm sure they're not exactly keeping a list of donaters or anything, but I suspect that they tend to remember those who help with the cause more than those who don't.

Anyway, you're absolutely right -- PDE is a great app. One of the best I've found, and I've tried dozens that weren't freeware.

10. danybrit

danybrit Mobile Enthusiast

Please can anyone give me an updated HQ guide Using an iMac G5 and a T3 ,i have been everywhere in the forums but i just found some one-year-old posts,so can anyone please help ,im using handbrake and TCPMP ,but i need some settings im just starting

thanks a lot