Quality Video on Palm: Full guide

Discussion in 'Palm' started by junglemike, Jul 13, 2004.

1. dhyamato

dhyamato Centro Newbie...

As with sjweise, I am also playing around with TCPMP.

I ripped Tora Tora Tora (12fps, mono) and transferred the file (107mb) into the flash memory of my T5. No SD card needed!!! I'm very happy with the outcome.

2. codfish

codfish Mobile Evangelist

OK, when I have .avis and .mpgs, I can now use Unlogics GUI to format them for my Palm, and they work pretty well.

However, what software should I be using to create .avis from DVD, and as good as Unlogics premade profiles are, is there any way to edit them to prerotate, or do I have to use the full version of the software, which I never got to grips with in the first place?

3. sjweise

sjweise Mobile Deity

Fairuse wizard will do great rips to xvid (mpeg4) files for you. You'd only need to prerotate if you are using mmplayer (which fairuse can do) but TCPMP plays video so much better than mmplayer...so I'd suggest giving it a try.

4. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Wow. There's so much information here and so much talent out there. This thread goes back a while and I, being lazy, want to go with the simplest, yet the best, solution. So let me see if I can extract a workable method and see if it will work.

Let's assume that I'm new to this (Can you tell?) and that I want to convert a DVD that ends up a little bigger than my amount of on-board memory.

1) I buy a T|5 (In process. )
    2) I get FairUse
    3) I get TCPMP and take a WAG at what parts to load on my T. (Reviews of this are great, but I can't find much in the way of documentation.)
    4) I use a card reader to drag the FairUse output file onto an SD card.
    5) I run the latest version of TCPMP with its ability to look for the file on the SD card (if I understand the thread right)
    6) My long, boring flight no longer requires me to find entertainment by speculating whether the three babies screaming in unison will ever achieve a recognizable chord.

Am I on track? Since I don't have my Palm yet I can't experiment and the people in CompUSA don't seem inclined to let me try this.

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

You pretty much have it. Of course, there's a little tweaking and such that you'll have to figure out (mostly preference), so I wouldn't wait until the day before your next flight to first attempt all this.

With the great video utilities and players available now, it's really easy to jump right in without much knowledge. In other words, you don't have to make this an 80-hour per week hobby just to watch a movie on your Palm!

Have fun!

6. highmighty

highmighty Live to Ride,Ride to Live

Could someone provide me a link where I could download one of those PDA movies (less than 30fps) you guys made so I could test it on my T|T? That would be really helpful... thanks all!

highmighty

7. fisherKing

fisherKing boddhisatva

wow....tcpmp rocks...
    just got a 1g sd card for my t3...
    watching fullscreen (landscape) simpsons, south park, music videos...

impressive!

next up: a full movie...

8. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

This was incredible! Out of the box default settings worked first try!
    After a day of playing around, though, all of a sudden TCPMP refused to see any audio or video I had on either my SD cards or any of the internal T5 memory. I could see the folders when I went to "open media" but they appeared empty to TCPMP although not to Files.
    I had to uninstall and re-install TCPMP.
    Anyone have this happen? Better question: Anyone know how I can prevent this happening again?

9. PeNsTeR

PeNsTeR Mobile Deity

How does the battery manager override function work? Is it safe or could it be that I loose data?

10. Shawn510

Shawn510 Oh, Snap!

Here's something I recently discovered. It may already be posted in here but I didn't see it...

The palm keyboard driver is a processor hog. There's a noticeable performance difference on my TT with the driver turned on. Turning the driver off by clearing the appropriate checks in the keyboard app removes the slowdown.

With the kbd driver on things like the Sonic demo and nesem are almost not playable. (that's how I noticed)