Project Ara lives on

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Mi An, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

https://twitter.com/ProjectAra/with_replies

Market pilot delayed to 2016, location unknown. :vbfrown: This does not bode well. The complexity of the partnerships involved here and the fast pace of mobile tech means that delays are costly and perilous. They need to keep partners on board and recruit more, and I bet you every partner out there is looking at this with the same dismay I am wondering just how much they'll have to invest before they can make their first sale. Ara has gotten good publicity by letting the techies appeal to techie journalists. But now I think they need a huge mainstream public relations effort to stay on the rails and avoid a death spiral.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Mi An and RickAgresta like this.
  3. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

He's dead, Jim.

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I want that on my headstone (and be buried wearing a red shirt).

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I really wish I could argue with that. But they've had physical models of Ara with working magents well before they had working phones. Waiting this long to 'notice' a predictable problem with an iconic feature of the endo is a bigger red flag than a delay. And it sounds like, rather than reinforcing the current system (say with rails per module space to take strain off the magnets), that they're getting rid of them completely. Forget public relations. Google needs to just issue massive truckloads of cash to keep a diverse mix of hardware partners active. Google certainly has spare truckloads of cash, and that would keep hardware partners on board, I just haven't picked up a willingness from them to really throw around cash to support the Ara ecosystem yet.

Another tweet mentions an apparently new grouping of 'core functionality', allegedly to make more space for specialized modules. RAM and CPU were always grouped. What else are they adding and how will that affect your ability to incrementally upgrade?

I tend to agree with Edmund about Puerto Rico's economic difficulties, having been mentioned so often in the same breath as Greece over the summer, being a driver behind the delay. The rest of it appears to me as if change in management (the previous head of Ara left on May 31st as part of ATAP's DARPA-like 2 year term limit, the head of design left some months before that) saw the unavoidable delay as an opportunity to start making changes they've always wanted to make. I suspect Ara did not recently fail a drop test, but that it has always had a particular tolerance for drops that was once considered acceptable, but with the delay whoever is in charge wants to go a different direction. Perhaps a lot of different directions. This interpretation of events could be a bigger red flag than the official line. That is, unless Google opens up their Scrooge McDuckesque pool of gold coins so all their partners can take a swim.

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I was right about Ara not failing a drop test. A few posts up there's a link to ara's twitter feed, wherein they call the previous tweet a poorly executed joke. Which at the very least reduces the perception of incompetence (except in the category of humor, but as an aspiring joker myself I know you can't land every joke :vbwink: ). What remains is a legitimate fear that changing horses in midstream could cause more delays, undermine the effect of free media over the past year, dishearten hardware partners who might reduce module diversity which would dishearten influential users who would talk up Ara less, creating a death spiral. The way out is not complex, but it is expensive. What I'm watching most for now is Google to crack open that overstuffed wallet and prove this is a product they're willing to spend on, not just to develop the tech, but to develop the ecosphere with more richer partnerships and promote it to users. Success will be obvious when there's... a five line tilting offset qwerty module :vbrolleyes: :vbtongue:

Now is actually a very good time for my dimple nfc buttons to arrive. It's a nice morale boost and makes my aging hardware feel fresh and more usable. That could help me hold out longer before wanting an upgrade.

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

while clock-watching (5 minutes to go!) I found this:
    Mix and Match the Modular PuzzlePhone

Modular phone fans have a new option: Finnish company Circular Devices, which is now crowdfunding its PuzzlePhone handset.
    "We're on a mission to end the wasteful trend of 'consumable' electronics that are inoperable or obsolete after two years of use," the campaign site said. "PuzzlePhone is the first smartphone that's made to stand the test of time."
    As of press time, an Indiegogo campaign had earned about $44,000 of its $250,000 goal with 41 days to go, though Circular Devices opted for Flexible Funding, which means it gets all money raised, even if it doesn't hit its goal.
    Featuring three easy-to-change modules—the heart, spine, and brain—the gadget can be upgraded, replaced, and repaired "for maximum longevity and performance." Individual pieces slide in and out, allowing you to swap a cracked screen for a new LCD spine; update the CPU, GPU, RAM, storage, and camera in the brain; and substitute the 2,800 mAh battery in the phone's heart.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2494435,00.asp

8. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

RA, I saw that on Engadget, or CNET or on one of my Google News Cards. I won't hold my breath but will be quietly cheering them on. I hope the best for them and for us.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I actually had a pop-up ad the other day for the modular smartwatch from another thread; still in fundraising mode, but found it interesting.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

http://www.wired.com/2016/05/project-ara-lives-googles-modular-phone-is-ready/

The good news:
    The bad news:
    Not as disappointing as when the Moto X was rumored to be like Ara and turned out just to have customizeable motomaker colors, but still disappointing. It's progress from the level of modularity we enjoy today, but a big step back from what Ara was originally. They also appear to have changed the old endo sizes, so my dream of a good small phone is probably out as well. The dev edition shipping this year is 5.3" which doesn't match up with either the old 6 or 4 inch endos.