Project Ara lives on

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Mi An, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

When info leaked out after the lenovo merger that Google was keeping the division that worked on Ara, I wasn't sure what to think. They might have wanted that division for other stuff and have no interest in ara whatsoever. They might be interested in it for 15 minutes and lose interest quickly (oh look, something shiny over there!), and uh, that's still possible. But it does appear to still be a going concern. Two news items this week.

Google's Project Ara modular smartphone gets a trio of dev conferences
    Project Ara: Inside Google's Modular Smartphone | TIME.com
    That last one is a long piece, which in and of itself is encouraging. My first thought after the merger was Ara might be more likely to go to market in the hands of a hardware company. On the other hand, it has a much better chance of surviving and thriving if any hardware manufacturer can build for it and isn't one company's proprietary setup. If Google can maintain their focus, they might well use Ara just like they use Android, and that could be amazing.

Adama D. Brown, raspabalsa and Hook like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I don't know why, but this song keeps running through my head:

[video=youtube;cJVewWbeBiY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJVewWbeBiY#t=75[/video]

Mi An likes this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Guilty as charged. :eek: :D

4. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

[video=youtube;_Q1JzJadgHY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q1JzJadgHY[/video]

They're doing a really good job of making me think this could be an actual product someday. Which is really mean. Bad, Google! :mad:

Adama D. Brown and jigwashere like this.
  6. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Project Ara MDK Gives You All the Dirty Design Details on Their Small, Medium, and Large Phone Plans | Droid Life
    project-ara3.jpg

There's a discussion in the comments about how big the 3 endos are based on the 80 page doc released in advance of the first dev conference. I don't care to check anyone's math myself, but currently a couple guys think the big is note 3 sized, the medium is iphone 5 sized and the small is super small.

The small definitely stands out. If you imagine a full sized screen on it (ie, no second front module like a camera or speaker), it looks like it'd be super narrow (imagine Almost Human's phones). In any case, if those guesstimates are right, it's confusing. I assumed big would be mega big (check) medium would be just really big (not check) and small would be just normal big. In line with LG's 4.7" LG2 'mini' style of sizing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  7. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I'll take a medium with a 720P screen and an attachment giving it a sliding keyboard with a 3000 mAh battery inside. And fries, please.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Yes, sir! Will that be for here, or to go? :D

Hook likes this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I could imagine getting more than one, really. Especially if eink screen options are plentiful enough. When looking to replace my starter kindle, I might prefer to build my own upgrade.

The tiny one has very little room for modules. Also being a qwerty fan and being kind of fond of the little endo, I was thinking one way to deal with it would be to make the back of the board accept modules, like an extension endo. You could retain the aesthetic and almost make it as capable as the larger endos.

I wonder if the super cool magnetic locks they've got can really handle a sliding qwerty at all, so far I've only seen fixed portrait boards on the front. And I'd be stunned if Google has provided for or would allow for extentions endos. And really sad for me, I doubt HTC is going to drag out their beautiful tilting slider. I doubt they even remember it. :(

Edit: hrrmmm. I wonder if a module could bridge two google made endos together. You wouldn't have to worry about getting permission to create your own endo, you'd just have to worry about the throughput of the data port in each endo slot and driver architecture. The screen side of endo 2 could house your keyboard. An enterprising module maker could also sell keyboard/screen combos so the second endo could latch on more securely by being anchored to both the front and the back of both endos. I understand the front endo has some sort of posts to make up for a lack of endo walls in terms of strength. The same system could be used to create two screen courieresque clamshells.

If that's what it takes to get it done, even if it would work, what kind of nutjob company would attempt it?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
    Adama D. Brown likes this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Okay, I missed the easiest way to do a sliding qwerty. :eek: Combine it with a screen, put it entirely on the front, and don't slide the keyboard out, slide the screen out to reveal the board. I don't know why I was fixated with it being attached to the back. M.I.S.S., I guess.