Programs that work on the 755P

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Cathearder, May 21, 2007.

1. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Aww, I'm sorry about that. I hate that the link doesn't work anymore. If you don't want to purchase it, but still would like an isolated app to use, there's YAPS, which is free.

2. Delpita

Delpita Woooooo-Hoooooo!

Hey, don't be sorry. I asked...... and you gave me a good answer! I do like SplashID. It seems to do alot of things, plus, I'm all about the "eye candy", and I like how I can use my icons from IconMgr with SplashID. Since it's a 30-day trial, that will give me time to play around with it more to see if it truly is something that I will use. I also read on this forum somewhere about Dataviz Passwords Plus. I have Doc2Go, and SmartlistToGo from Dataviz, so I might check out Passwords Plus too.

3. Cathearder

Cathearder Mobile Deity

I have not trialed Splash ID but I do have Yaps and am very satisfied with it. A simple to use yet effective app.

Delpita I am not sure why your passwords did not come back with the restore. I used NVBackup and mine did. So far when I have needed it, NVBackup has been flawless for me. Interestingly it was Resco Backup that caused my problem, at the end of doing a backup.

4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I'm guessing that the reset was caused because your preferences file(s) somehow became corrupted. Your 755p reset itself and wiped out the unsavedpreferences.prc and maybe the savedpreferences.prc. It happened to me a couple of times -- and I think it correlates with when my internal memory became full. I can't remember.

You should have been able to do a selective restore on the unsavedpreferences.prc and/or savedpreferences.prc. A full restore with NVBackup has worked for me, too.

A reset where the preferences/registrations were reset hasn't happened to me in a long time -- not since I did the ROM upgrade.

5. Delpita

Delpita Woooooo-Hoooooo!

Thanks for the input Cathearder and Jigswashere. I did "Verify" with Resco first to see what changes there may have been, but ended up just doing a restore because I was just getting frustrated. I think I'll take a peek at YAPS and see how that goes for me.

6. Cathearder

Cathearder Mobile Deity

I really like Yaps Delpita. Just be sure you remember the password for it. I forgot mine last night but I did as a precaution write it down so I could access it if I need it. Could be a prob if I am on the road and forget.:)

7. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Updated my list, can be found here at post #110.

I think it's up-to-date now.

8. Bill_K

Bill_K Newbie

Hello people - great thread.

Ordered a 755p today as my first smartphone. Chose this one because I wanted the biggest selection of third party apps and the most customizable alarms and timers of all the operating systems out there. Is that assumption correct?

Did I make a mistake???

After reading many forums, I have a funny feeling - like someone is rubbing my fur the wrong way - don't know why. . .

I'd be interested to hear some feedback, as I don't know anything about the capabilities of this phone.

BTW, OhHappyDay - that list is encouraging.

Thanks, Bill

9. r0k

r0k Dazed

Welcome to Brighthand, Bill!

No you did not make a mistake. However, there are some compromises all of us in the Palmos world have learned to live with.
    The bad and the ugly:
    Single tasking - This is huge for a connected device. It gets stoopid whenever you are in a poor signal area. No simultaneous web browser and phone call. No wifi. These aren't painful all the time, but as you do more and more network stuff with your phone, you will notice this limitation more often. Network stuff includes things like weather, google maps with traffic, email (imap highly recommended, be careful with push), browsing, rss feed readers (resco neews, etc).

No wifi - Palm has never got their stuff together on this one. Only now they are hinting around about a windows based Treo with wifi. We won't see a Palm phone with wifi until Nova (the mythical new Palmos due some time in 2009 2019? )

Blazer - Better than a Blackberry browser and arguably better than pocket internet explorer which is not saying much. But blazer works well enough that this issue is really only a minor annoyance.

MiniSD - This format is harder to find than SD and MicroSD. A minor annoyance.

The above are the bad and ugly. Now let's talk about why you will probably be glad you went with the 755p...
    The Good:
    Built in apps: Contacts, Calendar, Memos, Todos - not enough can be said about the elegance and simplicity of these venerable applications.
    Datebk6: very likely you will love this add-on app.
    Snappermail: best in class email but expensive ($60)
    Docs2go: Best office doc capability without needing a desktop. Period.
    Launchers: There are a plethora of 3rd party launchers available to make your phone look and act the way you want it. Treolauncher and zlauncher are among the best.
    Powerhero: Your battery's best friend.
    GoogleMaps with traffic: Simply the best reason for owning a connected smartphone. Saved me from a closed section of the big dig in Boston. Saves me from I696 lane closures daily in Detroit.
    sdhc card support: 4 gig and larger mini sdhc card support. I've got a 4 gig and it's plenty 'nuff for now.
    Fastlauncher: This app and it's author are 2 reasons you'll be delighted you chose Palm. A keyboard based app launcher is an ideal fit for a Palmos Treo smartphone.
    RescoExplorer: This app and the company that wrote it are 2 more reasons you'll be delighted you chose Palm.
    In the end, I think you'll be glad you chose Palm.

10. Bill_K

Bill_K Newbie

Thanks for the excellent reply.

I noticed on some forums a lot of reset and hang problems increase over time.

Some say that the software needs to be wiped and reinstalled similar to Windows after a year or so.

Any thoughts on that?

Bill