Problems with M$ MediaCenterEdition

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by BAB2000, Jun 7, 2006.

1. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

The TX and TE2 are both Palm based operating systems, the Axim is mobile windows or some version of, (M$ changes the name frequently depending on device, phone, PDA, etc)

As discussed the USB connection is what the concern has been, and with PnP function of the Windows platform some have found trouble when not prepapred or performed a contection before the supporting software is in place.

It may be an accident, (or by design), M$ PnP often mistakes a new Palm device on connection and some how always locates the wrong driver:rolleyes: , just not sure where the problem lies, as it is :confused:

2. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Just a FWIW type note for those using MCE:

When upgrading my PC this past August to a MCE (2005) laptop, I successfully installed and synced my T3 in a single attempt with absolutely no probs by following the recommendations of others in these forums. To summarize:

- Do NOT connect the handheld to the PC before installing the Palm Desktop.

- Disable any anti-virus software and ensure that the user who be utilizing the Palm software has full admin privileges and is logged on. Do not log on by "fast user switching" - Log on from the beginning with full admin privileges.

- Install the Palm Desktop software appropriate for your model. In my case with my T3 it was v4.1.4 (not 4.1.4e.) Ensure that the correct conduit set is selected for you handheld model, e.g. Calendar vs Datebook, Contacts vs Address Book, etc. To be safe, I set the conduits to HH overwrites DT for the initial sync.

- After installation is complete, connect the handheld and sync. I didn't set up any users in the Desktop software on the PC - I simply let the HotSync process detect the "new user" when my handheld connected and confirmed the correct user. This will sync all of the PIM data to the Desktop.

- Install any other software that includes a sync conduit, e.g. DocsToGo, AvantGo, TrackerDog, TimeCopy, etc.

- Sync again to confirm function of those apps - I set the conduits to HH overwrites DT for the first sync, then made sure the default was set to Sync for subsequent use (as appropriate / available.)

- The PC user can then be demoted to whatever rights are appropriate at this point. Enable your anti-virus software.

- Use and enjoy!

Those were the steps that I followed and continue to have no issues with syncing on the MCE machine.

Note: As I understand it, "Fast User Switching" should not be used as it reportedly does not play well with the Palm software. I'm the sole user of my laptop, however, so I can't comment on this personally.

HTH for those setting up Palm software on a MCE PC. I can't claim any credit for it - I found the info posted by other users in these forums. After some of the stories I read I was a little wary, so a big THANK YOU is in order to those folks for making my transition quick and simple :newpalm:

Footnote 1: MS' versioning scheme for XP is a little confusing, at least for me. Some places on my machine show WinXP Pro, WinXP SP2, WinMCE2005, and I think I saw some other odd version reference somewhere. I get the impression that the Pro or MCE version is "layered" on the basic XP version and causes certain apps / utilities to report the different info. It seems to me that Pro, SP2, or MCE would all handle this the same way, but I'm not sure, nor am I sure about previous versions of XP. At any rate, no probs here with MCE 2005.

Footnote 2: As with previous Win versions, my handheld does NOT show up in the device manager unless I've initiated a sync. When I press the sync button, I get the connection tone on the Palm and the "ding ding" connection sound on the laptop. When the sync completes, I get the disconnect tone on the Palm and similar PC sound to indicate the device is disconnected. Don't know if this is how all handheld models work, but that's the function of my T3 / laptop.

Later, Gang!

Joe

3. AikiScott

AikiScott Senior Lurker

JRakes,

Excellent step-by-step summation of how to get Palms to play with Win MCE. Succinct, clear, and descriptive enough for relative newbies and veterans.

Well done! (And a rep to you as well!)

4. Legodude522

Legodude522 Linux Evangelist

:confused: Where are they on this now? Kudos to JRakes.

5. dadubow

dadubow Mobile Enthusiast

Ok, I made THE critical error and plugged my TE2 into my new machine running MCE before installing the palm desktop. I plowed through the stickies and learned about removing the drivers. But I cannot find the drivers in device manager. I have the E2 plugged into the machine (not via a hub)and pwered via wall charger, I hear the tweedle that it's connected, and then open every device on the device manager list, but do not see anything that has the name "palm" or "pda" on the list. I am the sole user on the system and have administrator privledges.

Any suggestions for how I find the evil MCE drivers so that I can uninstall them and get the palm desktop installed the way you all have directed?

6. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Was waiting for somebody with, perhaps, better info for you, dadubow.

When do you hear the "tweedle" sound? When you simply connect the E2, or when you try to initiate an actual sync? The Palm normally only shows up in the Device Manager when you actually start a sync. If you're getting the sound when you simply connect the device, it could be due to the incorrect driver :confused: If so, try to start a sync with the Device Manager open and see if the Palm shows up. If that happens, then you should be able to right click the device and remove or change the driver...

HTH,
    Joe

7. Norris123

Norris123 Mobile Enthusiast

Keeping the Device Manager window open, start a HotSync, at that instance check for the Palm Handheld.

8. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

You did notice this thread hasn't been posted in for almost 2 years.? ;)

You are also repeating the advice in the post above.

9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Please carefully read all of the posts above before adding any more advice to this thread. The last thing anyone needs is to be confused by repetition when trying to work out this problem. There's a reason that the thread had been inactive for 21 months.

Any more duplicates will be removed.