Problems with M$ MediaCenterEdition

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by BAB2000, Jun 7, 2006.

1. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

I am sorry to have read that you have had this difficulty.

The reason Palm indicates it does not support XP MCE, is due to drivers and assigned device IDs that M$ assigned for driver support. From my view M$ as started to standardize this OS and its standards bringing this in line with the original XP version instead of a specialized multi media high end standard that it started out to be.

I suspect your problems could have started the first time you connected the TX to your platform and most likely allowed a new hardware found action to complete without the Palm drivers installed. The driver library packaged with your M$ OS does not include the correct driver for the TX device ID.

To correct, open the Device Manager/Hardware list, locate the Palm handheld line, select and then right click, selecting to remove or delete this device.

Now that you have your Palm desktop installed, the correct TX driver will in the \Palm folder.

Coonect your TX again, the new hardware found event should occur, and this time manually point the driver search to the \Palm folder.

This should help establish the connectivity expected.

It is also advise to start the handhelds connection via a system USB port to confirm function, normally USB 0 on the rear of the unit. Once function is confirmed then you try other USB connections, front, or even USB hub. The first hotsync can be tricky if starting with USB hub, and other devices fighting for attention, this can make the first experience frustrating.

Best Wishes, and if you require additional assurances, there are several threads detailing the same experience and almost all reporting solutions and others with success just as your thread has attracted.
    PHP:

2. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Also found this solution at another forum (TreoCentral). Warning, requires editing drivers.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

We talked with Palm about problems HotSyncing with the MCE, and were told that there are engineers working on this now. At least that gives us some hope for progress.

4. Tritan

Tritan Mobile Deity

This is unbelieveable how long this problem has been going on. I can sync over wifi but it is slow compared to the cable! I want my cable back!

5. Anansii

Anansii Newbie

Thanks for the advice; I got my first new computer in 8 years this year, only to find I had to keep the old one up to service the T3. :(

6. markdmeyer

markdmeyer Newbie

How do I find the palm device in Device Manager? All I can find are a bunch of USB devices, but nothing which says "Palm" or "PDA"... Thanks...

7. BAB2000

On my XP platform, the Palm handheld is detected when connected, the list refreshs, and the item "Palm OS Handheld Devices" is list below Network adapters.

You will then need to drill this line to the next sub line "Palm Handheld".

These will only be listed while the handheld is ON.

On my Win2000 system the list only reveals when attempting Hotsync. Same for Win98se.

8. divewreck

divewreck Mobile Enthusiast

Now that I have narrowed down my choices to either the axim or TX (maybe even the E2), I find that I have MCE 2002!. I just feel that the fix is not going to work. Any other suggestions?

9. BAB2000

Understand concern, there was another reported concern with MC2002 and their new yet to arrive TX.

Yo can review the results in this thread, postings from jar4827.

Followed instructions and found it worked.

Those that I can recall having difficulty connected the device prior to installing the desktop version provided, and drivers were not in proper location for new hardware found to locate.

Follow same steps as a XP user is required, ADMIN privlidges, Virus Protection off, install CD first, charge TX via AC wall adatper, and then connect USB cable only when all other items dome prior, then attempt hotsync.

Good Luck on your pondering descission, from what I understand Axim is good performer as well.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. divewreck

divewreck Mobile Enthusiast

OK, so there is a fix. Would there be any concern with what model I should buy, but I suppose they are all running the same platform, right?