Problems with Kinoma 4EX and YouTube?

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by Varjak, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I haven't watched YouTube on Kinoma in some time; but this past weekend, I went to use it and it didn't work. It always tells me it may be an invalid file, unsupported format, etc. No matter what I try, so I think it's universal.

I am using version 4.5.5.

I know they are not supporting this product anymore; but I think the forums are still open and will post there as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I haven't used Kinoma recently. I should re-install it in my 680. AFAIR, all the YouTube videos ran on Kinoma embedded, this is, even without the Kinoma 4EX installation.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'll have a look this weekend, when I can use my TX on wifi; I'd expect much the same as you're seeing, though, Varjak

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Above: Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

as expected, same as you; not only Youtube, either--all streaming video. streaming audio was ok, though

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks. I haven't posted on Kinoma's forums yet. Haven't had time, but I'm going to get to it. Maybe, as YT updates, it blocks certain things and Kinoma doesn't update. I know DownloadHelper updates almost every day it seems to access YT. It's a shame, I liked Kinoma.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My guess is that the Kinoma library links no longer redirect you to the 3gp version of the videos.

In Blazer, go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search for the video you want to watch. It'll open in Kinoma and play just fine.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I believe there's an update to Kinoma 4EX available (or so the device tells me); but I'm a bit afraid to do it. First, they call it Kinoma Player (they've mixed those terms in the past); and I'm also afraid it might substitute the generic Player for 4EX.

Thanks Jig, I'll give that a try; but at the time I think I tried that and it didn't work.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Jig, I meant to get back to you on this. Your method of going right to m.youtube works; but it gives you these tiny videos. Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly, but when I viewed the videos through Kinoma, they were larger (and not the 3gp format if I recall correctly).

9. jigwashere

My memory isn't clear, either.

10. hal

Well, FWIW, I am able to see YT videos, and they do launch under Kinoma Embedded. Now, I can't remember if they always did so, with this Kinoma Embedded, or they started doing so, when I first fully installed Kinoma.

11. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

What do you mean by Kinoma embedded, hal? I used Kinoma by choosing YouTube from the Kinoma Guide and then either searching for videos or say selecting from one of their categories like 'today's most popular,' etc.

12. jigwashere

Kinoma embedded = version included in ROM. For a long time, I used Kinoma Player 4EX (purchased version) exclusively on my Palm TX because my Treo 755p had a version of Kinoma embedded in the ROM. Later, I transferred my license for 4EX to my 755p. It's back on my TX, now.

13. hal

Just as jig describes, Varjak. Actually, thanks to jig is that I am right now learning that it comes in the ROM, cause I only had the suspicion of such. I thought it could have been inadvertedly installed when I installed a full Kinoma license that came bundled in my 680's CD. OK, the point here is that I don't need a full Kinoma install neither in my 680 nor in my 755p to watch Kinoma-compliant videos at YT and other sites. Essentially, Kinoma Embedded is a barebones player that can get along with lots of online videos, Varjak. And the other point is that AFAIG, YT videos and those in other sites can still be played with my Kinoma installs, Varjak. Either you're under direct attack :)D), or access at your location has been restricted (unlikely), or something else is happening.

14. jigwashere

hal, are you able to locate the YouTube videos through Kinoma's list of sites? Or are you starting in Blazer?

15. hal

I start in Blazer, jig. Currently I don't have the full Kinoma installation, so I don't have the Kinoma list available. It's possible that Kinoma Embedded is one of the last resources to watch YT videos from a Palm OS device. I get to Blazer, and i.e. I do a Google search, some video comes in the search, I open it and before it starts running I see a little splash of Kinoma Embedded.

16. jigwashere

Both Varjak and I can watch YouTube videos in Kinoma 4EX -- the problem is that we can't access them through Kinoma's library function. It also appears they're coming through in 3gp format, but that may have always been the case.

17. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

I believe you are correct. I don't believe Kinoma for PalmOS ever did flash. It was 3GP from the get-go.

18. jigwashere

19. jigwashere

20. hal

Ah, that's the quid. It's not that they can't be played, but rather that the Kinoma list lost something.

I don't think so either, HC. AFAIR, one or two Clié devices supported Flash, and that was it with Flash on Palm OS. Remember that Dmitry Grinberg had this Flash Player for Palm OS download on his site? Think that was ripped off the Clié ROMs.

If you downloaded them from YT anywise but mobile, they're gonna be .flv, jig, so there's at least a part here that you're not imagining. And, there could be other websites where you can download Flash Video.

On a side note, jig, my Treos save videos in 3GP format. Many Nokia devices I remember, also save videos in 3GP. So it's most likely that 3GP has become a de facto standard for mobile online video, don't you think so?