Problems with Kinoma 4EX and YouTube?

Discussion in 'Multimedia (Palm OS)' started by Varjak, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I haven't watched YouTube on Kinoma in some time; but this past weekend, I went to use it and it didn't work. It always tells me it may be an invalid file, unsupported format, etc. No matter what I try, so I think it's universal.

I am using version 4.5.5.

I know they are not supporting this product anymore; but I think the forums are still open and will post there as well.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

I haven't used Kinoma recently. I should re-install it in my 680. AFAIR, all the YouTube videos ran on Kinoma embedded, this is, even without the Kinoma 4EX installation.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I'll have a look this weekend, when I can use my TX on wifi; I'd expect much the same as you're seeing, though, Varjak

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

as expected, same as you; not only Youtube, either--all streaming video. streaming audio was ok, though

5. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Thanks. I haven't posted on Kinoma's forums yet. Haven't had time, but I'm going to get to it. Maybe, as YT updates, it blocks certain things and Kinoma doesn't update. I know DownloadHelper updates almost every day it seems to access YT. It's a shame, I liked Kinoma.

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My guess is that the Kinoma library links no longer redirect you to the 3gp version of the videos.

In Blazer, go to YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. and search for the video you want to watch. It'll open in Kinoma and play just fine.

7. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

I believe there's an update to Kinoma 4EX available (or so the device tells me); but I'm a bit afraid to do it. First, they call it Kinoma Player (they've mixed those terms in the past); and I'm also afraid it might substitute the generic Player for 4EX.

Thanks Jig, I'll give that a try; but at the time I think I tried that and it didn't work.

8. Varjak

Varjak Mobile Deity

Jig, I meant to get back to you on this. Your method of going right to m.youtube works; but it gives you these tiny videos. Maybe I'm remembering this incorrectly, but when I viewed the videos through Kinoma, they were larger (and not the 3gp format if I recall correctly).

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

My memory isn't clear, either.

10. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Well, FWIW, I am able to see YT videos, and they do launch under Kinoma Embedded. Now, I can't remember if they always did so, with this Kinoma Embedded, or they started doing so, when I first fully installed Kinoma.