Problems with CF Drive and Palm updates

Discussion in 'Palm' started by shawnlux, Oct 11, 2007.

1. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

I am posting this because of issues we have encountered with our Lifedrive CF upgrades. We have taken many of these back for re-format after customers have attempted to install the latest updates from Palm that were already pre-installed on the CF drive. This causes the drive to fail and thus returned.

When you purchase this drive all of the updates are already on it. It does not require any modification or update. If it is done, re-writing these files to the drive causes failure. Please keep this in mind when using the product.

Please pass the word to anyone who has purchased this upgrade or plans to purchase the upgrade so that they can avoid the problems caused by attempting to re-install the updates. If you have any questions about this, feel free to contact me though this thread or by PM.

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Thanks for the heads up Shawn.
    This is once more a proof of what Customer Service should be like :newpalm:

Sticky for 1 week ;)

3. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

I'm one of those mentioned. My Lifedrive was resetting every time I tried to turn on wifi, consistently, and I read (here or at 1src, can't recall for sure) that reinstalling the 2.0 update could solve that problem. It didn't. I finally got my LD back from Shawn, and it's working fine for now. I still can't download via Blazer because of the "not enough memory" problem, but the rest works. I'm reluctant to try UDMH on it, so I guess I'll live without Blazer downloads, as long as the rest works. Shawn was more than fair in this deal, and I have to agree that reinstalling the update is a bad idea.

4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

UDMH won't solve Blazer downloads. The LD lacks enough viable DBCache for downloads. At this point, there is no solution for this problem.

5. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Quite an important flaw for a device which was supposed to be WiFi centric :rolleyes:

6. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

Well, actually, there is a workaround for the known Blazer "not enough memory error". At least, it did work for me. It is a combination of Meminfo, a freeware program that helps to free, or flush, the DB cache, without softreset. And the use of Uncache, which help to not load in cache those programs which are not needed.
    Installing both, and flushing DB Cache before opening Blazer, allows download.

Anyway, the problem is not, I think, the LD memory, is something inside BLazer: tehre is another freeware program, Sharkdonload, that also allows downloads, without flushing DB Cache, but just for those file where http link can be copied and pasted directly inside teh program.

Luigi

7. luigi

luigi Palm aficionado

Shawn,
    by teh way, I did buy your card, and installed it with good results. Anyway, might I suggest to include, with the card, a quick sheet with installation explanations, and a note to avoid re-installing updates? It could help.

Cheers

Luigi