Problem with push notifications / sync not working properly

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, Dec 1, 2015.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Uh oh. Better keep an eye on the sky for a while, raspy. Flyboy might be on his way! :)

scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I'm not sure if the problem is entirely fixed. I've been testing by emailing myself from another account (not too many people write me on any day :( ), luckily when I got tired Rick helped me some more, but the conclusion is that I can't tell. I am getting the notifications but it's taking too long. Perhaps this time it depends on the ISP and mobile carrier, neither of which is particularly good in this area. I won't do a factory reset yet. I'll try the app jig recommended, see if that helps.

No sight of Flyboy so far. I'm guessing that's why it's been awfully quiet today :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    scjjtt likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

The calm before the storm. Stealth NetB!

scjjtt, RickAgresta and raspabalsa like this.
  4. raspabalsa

That's a great tagline for a techno-thriller... I can almost picture NetB zooming by on supercruise, nap-of-the-earth, his laser designator fixed on the BHOT breakroom's door, launching his cluster bombs, releasing a furious swarm of... mini NetBs?

Seriously now, the Push Notification Fixer app is installed and seems to be doing its magic. I'm getting email notifications on my phone and computer almost simultaneously. I'm going to call this fixed for now, even if this is patching things up, not properly fixing. But since fixing will require a hard reset, I'll let this be for now.

Thanks all for your help!

scjjtt, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  5. raspabalsa

Almost a day after, notifications keep coming, and with no perceptible delay. The fixer app (PNF) allows the user to set a "heartbeat" that sends data over the connection to keep it alive. The heartbeat interval is user-selectable. The Android default is 28 minutes, meaning that if set at that value the app does nothing. With the recommended 5 minute interval I see a delay in the notifications of a few minutes. If I set the interval to 4 minutes then I see zero delay. So it seems the connections are being killed from the outside. I guess this means the notification stuff in my phone is ok and the problem is with the ISPs. And that means I don't need to factory reset my phone.

I'll have to check the WiFi routers, see if there's a way to prevent them from killing connections. They're cheap modem/routers from the ISP, with very rudimentary admin. tools, and I'm still not complete sure what I'll be looking for.

In any case, I'm upgrading status from patched to solved on the phone side. :newpalm:

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

jigwashere and RickAgresta like this.