Problem with push notifications / sync not working properly

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by raspabalsa, Dec 1, 2015.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Hello all!

For the last week or so my Xperia Z1 (rooted but stock ROM, Android 5.1.1) hasn't been receiving push notifications for most apps, and syncing seems to be not working properly. For example, Gmail doesn't notify me of incoming email. When I check on my laptop and see new email I open Gmail on my phone and it won't show the new email. I have to swipe down for Gmail to check and receive new email. Same with Tapatalk, no notifications, launching the app shows old data. Internet access is ok with WiFi and mobile, since I can browse, download, etc. The mobile signal icon shows 3G and H+ according to coverage, and I even occasionally see the up and down triangles showing data moving in and out without my intervention.

I've been trying to solve this problem or the last few days, but it's becoming really hard. Here's what I've tried so far:

- Disabled all power-saving features. Xperia phones have a "Stamina" mode that saves battery at the expense of phone functions. In particular, it kills data connections for apps when the phone's screen is off. I have no 3rd-party app to save or manage power or notifications.

- Disabled background data queueing. It was disabled already, but I enabled, rebooted the phone, waited a few minutes, disabled it, the rebooted again.

- Cleared cache and data for Gmail. Rebooted, then a bunch of notifications appeared, so I thought problem was solved. But then notifications stopped coming in again, so no good. The same happened with Tapatalk.

- Checked under each app's settings that notifications are enabled: Gmail ok, Tapatalk ok, etc.

- Checked under Settings - > Data Usage that no app is restricted. Gmail shows some background data, so it is connecting properly to the cloud. The mobile network does not have the "restrict background data" feature enabled either.

- Checked Autosync. Disabled it, waited and rebooted, re-enabled.

- Checked Settings -> Accounts. My google account is set to sync, but each sync is taking a lot of time, seems to be much longer than usual. Some sync errors appear sometimes, so I thought it could be due to a connection error. Tried over mobile network and over several WiFi connections including a high speed one, same thing. This makes me think something broke in the sync section.

- Checked under Sounds and Notifications: No app has its notifications blocked.

- Reenabled my Google+ profile. Grasping at straws really, but several weeks ago I deleted my G+ profile (never used it really). After doing this I noticed I could no longer post reviews at the Play Store and some games lost their progress data. Don't know if this is related to the sync problem, but decided to recreate the profile and reenable G+ on my phone.

Some of the above steps where on a google troubleshoot guide I followed, but I can't find it anymore.

Recent changes/added apps: none, but I've been playing with Tasker and voice commands. Don't see how ths could affect sync, as I've been mostly trying to control my laptop remotely. In any case, I've kept Tasker disabled for the last few days.

Things I haven't tried yet, but will try after I finish a TWRP and TB backup:

- Remove my google account, then reboot and add it again.
    - Delete app and Dalvik cache, then test gmail
    - Factory reset, add google account, test without restoring any data or app.

I hope removing/adding the google account fixes this. I really don't want to do a full reinstall from scratch.

If someone has a suggestion or something I haven't checked yet, please do tell me.

Thanks!

khanG, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I think removing your google account and adding it again is the best option to try next. How to do you log into Tapatalk? I don't know why Tapatalk would be affected. :confused.

I wonder if there's something wrong with Google Play Services. Go into Settings > All Apps and make sure 'Show notifications' is checked. Maybe try clearing cache for it.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. raspabalsa

Thanks, jig. I'm logged on Taptalk with my google account, so I guess if the google account has problems then everything tied to it will have problems too.

Backups finished, time to remove the accounts.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

I have noticed that the client I use for Gmail sometimes has an impact; I prefer to use the Samsung client, Email, since it has a nice editor (think of the options BH provides, on a PC), whereas the Google Gmail client is rather basic (plus, Email lets me add other, non-gmail.com accounts). anyway, I'd been having trouble with the Email client, and finally took the kill the account/reboot/add the account back steps and that seemed to help. all the while, the Gmail app was chugging along {shrugs}

Good luck, raspy!

raspabalsa likes this.
  6. raspabalsa

I've never considered using a different client for gmail, just the app from google. I write very basic emails, at most I write in bold or capitals to show how angry I am :D. I do have the email app from Sony, but it's set to a couple corporate accounts the company gave me.

I deleted the google account, rebooted, and added it. Got a lot of notifications from emails I've not yet read, and also from Tapatalk. Still not calling this fixed, will have to wait and see if it notifications are still pushed.

jigwashere likes this.
  7. raspabalsa

Deleting and adding the gmail account did not fix the problem.

I get email notifications only when the account is synced (as happend just after adding the account) or when I manually check the app. But notifications are not pushed to the phone. Maybe it's some setting somewhere that is doing this, but I have no idea what or where. Now I'll clear app and Dalvik cache, although I doubt this will help. I simply don't want to do the factory reset.

8. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Did you look at Google Play Services?

9. raspabalsa

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I checked Google Play Services yesterday. It's notifications are enabled. Just in case, I deleted its data, then synced the account again.

I overlooked this... I'll read and give it a try. I haven't done the factory reset yet. Thanks, jig.

jigwashere likes this.
  10. raspabalsa

Interestingly, after clearing app and Dalvik cache it seems the problem is approaching fixed status: I am getting push notifications from Gmail now, although a few minutes after getting the email on my laptop (about 5 to 7 minutes). This could be a delay from the mobile carrier. I'll test over WiFi to be sure. Taptatalk is also notifying me again, in its ever-annoying way, meaning it will pile notification over notification, i.e. if jig replies I'm notified, if I read and then Rick replies I get a new notification saying that jig and Rick have replied, even though I already acknowledged and read jig's reply. If NetB replies then, well, things start to get messy ;)

I haven't installed the Push Notifaction Fixer app yet. It seems to address a problem caused by the WiFi router and mobile carrier: killing inactive TCP connections, such as used by the push notifications. I've noticed the mobile carrier has been tinkering with the service again, so maybe they introduced some "feature". I haven't modified my router settings, but will check to see if there is such an option.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    scjjtt and jigwashere like this.