problem with my zire 72 screen

Discussion in 'Palm' started by astro_boy, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. astro_boy

astro_boy Mobile Enthusiast

Hello everyone, I'm a new user of palm I just want to ask about zire 72 screen why it so noisy? is there any way I can reduce that noise or there is something wrong with my zire?

I Just bought it a month a go
    Thanks for your help

2. wolfgard

wolfgard Mobile Deity

It's normal and exists even in the T3. I don't think there's any way to get rid of it (you'll have to get used to it), but the sound somehow got softer and abit lower in frequency when I underclocked my zire

3. paul novotny

paul novotny Mobile Deity

Hello astro-boy,

Paul from palmOne here. wolfgard is correct and palmOne's Knowledge Library has an article that addresses this at http://kb.palmone.com/

Solution ID: 2300

"Devize buzzes or hums quietly while in use"

Best,

Paul

4. yoghurtgoblin

yoghurtgoblin Mobile Enthusiast

This same problem developed about a month after I bought my Zire72 and, let me tell you, it drove me nuts. It was so loud that I could hear it clearly even in an office with moderate background noise... unacceptable. Anyways, long story short, Palm replaced my Zire and the new one, while it does buzz a little when I hold it to my ear, doesn't scream quite so loudly. So I guess not all screens scream similarly. Hmm.

Oh...ps: I like the description on Palm's support DB, "hums quietly." Bah! That spin almost makes it sounds pleasant.

5. astro_boy

OK maybe that was weakness of zire beside paint :mad:
    Now I want to ask when I bought my zire bundled with software called DocToGo v6 standard thats cool, but why it still trial version so I have to get registration code & activation code from datavis.
    Meanwhile when my friend bought T3 that sofware is full version and its premium.
    Why zire not bundled with full version too? :mad:
    Its OK whit standard version but can they make it full instead trial. Because if I want to get reg code & act code from datavis I must pay it via internet I dont like to do a transaction from internet....:(
    What is the comment about this from PalmOne?

Oh I want ask to about sofware for overcloking or downclocking zire 72
    Thank you very much...

6. wolfgard

wolfgard Mobile Deity

Get either PXA clocker 4 or Lightspeed. I have PXA clocker pro 4.2 (which was just released), but i'm considering buying Lightspeed 2 when it comes out.

7. astro_boy

I already have Lighspeed but I dont know what version, how does it work? Cos I dont really understand about overclocking Palm or down it can you tell me step by step...:confused:
    I've try it but do I have to clocking all the application one by one?
    Why it doesn't do all in one step...?
    is there any simplier software for that?

Thank you very much

8. wolfgard

wolfgard Mobile Deity

Lightspeed is about as simple as it can get. LS is simpler compared to PXA clocker IMHO. In PXA clocker, you can just set the main system and it'll affect all the other programs (unless you individually specify the speed).

I don't have Lightspeed installed now, but if i'm not wrong, you can just top high,low or normal to overclock,underclock or set speeds back to normal. To tweak it further, u can change the 'system' or 'bus' setting (I usually just lower the 'system' setting and ignore the bus).

I don't recommend overclock except maybe when it comes to video, but underclocking is pretty safe to do. Even then at 312Mhz, it's fast enough for Divx movies. Based on my experience, the speed can be lowered to around 50+Mhz while applications like mp3 require about 70Mhz or it'll affect the music quality. For applications I use very often like Agendus and Memoleaf, I usually set the speed to about 110Mhz. That allows it to open fast enough without any annoying delay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.