Problem transferring ROM from Visor Deluxe over USB

Discussion in 'Palm' started by sega dude, May 26, 2014.

1. sega dude

sega dude Mobile Enthusiast

I recently got an Ice Handspring Visor Deluxe complete in box at a Goodwill for $2.99. It came with a USB cradle. I want to transfer the ROM from it to use with the PHEM emulator on Android. But I can't get it to work. I downloaded the Palm OS Emulator for Windows and installed the ROM Transfer app on the Visor Deluxe. As I read many places, I copied the USBPort.dll file to the emulator folder. I got the USB option in the port menu of Transfer ROM thing in the Palm OS Emulator. I opened the ROM Transfer app on the Visor Deluxe and tapped Begin Transfer. Then I clicked Begin on the Download ROM thing in the emulator. On the PC side it just says waiting and on the Visor Deluxe it just says Timeout after saying waiting for awhile. Am I doing something wrong? Why isn't it working? I don't want to have to buy a serial cradle just to transfer the ROM from this device. Is there another way I can get the ROM from the device?

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

just speculating/wondering out loud (since I've absolutely no experience here), but a few things come to mind:

do you know for a fact that the USB cradle works for other operations with the handheld, such as HotSync?

is the PC OS you're using compatible with the dll you downloaded -- if it is Win8 you're using, I'd really expect problems; if Win7 I wouldn't be surprised; if Vista, not too surprised. basically, anything newer than XP is a question mark to me, as to compatibility.

have you tried a different USB port on the pc -- old-Palm-school advice, but still applies in some cases

Good luck!

z22 2006 User likes this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

This may be off topic; but why do you need the ROM from the Handspring? I thought the purpose of that emulator was to emulate the Palm OS so you could run Palm apps on Android?

4. sega dude

sega dude Mobile Enthusiast

I know the cradle works because I hotsynced the ROM Transfer application with it. I am using a Windows XP laptop. Didn't try the other USB port. Maybe that will work.

It does, but just like the Palm OS Emulator for the PC, you need a ROM file from an actual Palm OS device to use it.

5. Tom LaPrise

Tom LaPrise Absent-Minded Professor

Did you reboot after copying usbport.dll to the emulator folder? I remember doing this a long time ago and it worked but I can't remember exactly how I did it; that dll file was the key, though.

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks Sega Dude. I had thought that was part of the emulator. Sorry.