Problem Sync my Treo650 after installing Franklin Planner

Discussion in 'Treo 650' started by ayman10, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ayman10

ayman10 Mobile Consultant

I used to HotSync my Treo650 with Outlook and it was working very well. After installing Frankling Planner in my 650 every thing is messed.

My Calendar on Outlook Desktop will never Sync with my 650 Calendar. Any Suggestions?

2. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

ayman10, please be kind to clarify if you own a Treo 680 or 650. First option, you're in the right sub-forum. Second, you're not. Next, are you actually talking about FranklinPlanner, or about PlanPlus?

OK, I'll assume we got no typos involved. First, I suggest you undo everything: uninstall FranklinCovey FranklinPlanner for MS Outlook, reinstall MS Outlook, reinistall Palm Desktop (which will also reinstall the hotsync management program, be it Palm HotSync Manager or most probably Chapura PocketMirror Std. Edition), and keep on with your life. Using FranklinPlanner, you'll achieve just anything except staying organized.

FranklinCovey's FranklinPlanner sports impressive motivational graphics and the lousiest behavior in any PIM app I have tested. As in EVER. It's buggy and one of its most vicious quirks is some collection of issues nested in the conduits. I think they didn't code but actually modified the .dll files that make the conduits aim to the Outlook folders. After installing it with MS Office Outlook XP (2002) some years ago, just everything stopped talking to my Palm (more that 15 conduits). Nothing worked. Second, I have reached the conviction that it was best that the conduits didn't work, cause I managed to make the PIM apps conduits work, and next FranklinPlanner multiplied the entries like rabbits in all of them, to the point where the Palm's memory was overflooded and a hard reset was due. The latter is because FranklinPlanner follows an approach of self contained info in dedicated folders, that doesn't replace the PIM data in the original Outlook folders.

Were you intending to keep FranklinPlanner, I'd suggest you review all the conduits in the HotSync Manager, disabling them all by default, and next testing one at a time, and reviewing if possible what folder is it aiming to. FranklinPlanner installs a hotsync manager of its own, bundled in the same installation package. I kinda recall it's Chapura PocketMirror Std. Edition, but it's a wretched one intended to accomplish the laughable purpose of "working much better alongside FranklinPlanner." So, you would first review the PIM conduits and make them work, and next reinstall each and every program you got working with your Treo, so that it unregisters and enregisters back witih this new hotsync manager installation.

Please post back any progress.

3. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Moved thread to 650 forum.

From my experience with Franklin Planner software, problems were common with sync and issues with loss of data when trying to sync with non Franklin desktop.

You indicated that you installed FP to the T650. Did you do so via the desktop installation or another means?

Franklin software requires Franklin hotsync conduits for data to sync or transfer from FP on the device to the desktop.

4. ayman10

hal

Thanx budy for the nice info, I will start with the last solution first then I will report you.

BAB2000: I installed via Desktop installation

5. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

The desktop of Franklin is for Outlook?

The Franklin desktop should have then replaced the Palm Outlook conduits with the FC version. It could have left the old in place and active, but remember only one will work during hotsync to and from the handheld.

Have you reviewed your hotsync log to confirm the action of the Calendar hotsync.

You can also review the conduits by selecting the Hotsync icon from the system tray, and then review the conduits and the assigned action.

If two Calendar conduits are listed, one must be enabled, the other set to Do Nothing.

6. ayman10

hal:
    Great News buddy; I uninstalled everything and reinstalled Palm Desktop, without the naughty Plan Plus and did One Sync: Calendar won't sync, then I changed the conduit to sync to Palm Desktop then back to Outlook.
    Life is beautiful.
    Thanks for the lovely advice, and as you said I WILL NEVER COME BACK TO PLAN PLUS for Palm Desktop again.

7. hal

Oh, good feedback, pal!

So it was PlanPlus. Buggy as well, just as its predecessor, FranklinPlanner. You wanna know something (BAB2000 won't let me lie)? The FranklinCovey software is a collective example that in life, not just intentions count. All the good things you obtained from the FranklinCovey paper planners, get ready to NOT obtain them from their software counterparts. Even in their latest versions, FranklinCovey software is buggy and it makes programs trip one with each other.

If you wish to build yourself a simple yet effective mobile system to follow the FranklinCovey system, I'd suggest you strip to bare essentials what you need in a mobile device. Actually, most of it is already bundled in a Palm OS device. i.e., if you watch the overall appearance of many Palm PDAs, you'll find four buttons downwards, acting as The Core Four: Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes (little detail omitted in the 650, but it doesn't hurt).

My approach involves the following:
    1. Categories: all the important spheres in my life are due a Category. Before apps, before inputting a single line in an appointment or whatever. I use the Palm Categories to set the collective aspects of my life (namely, What Matters Most). The effect on this usage is that I have straightforward granularity regarding the aspects on top of my life, without any hassle, on every Palm OS app.
    2. I can follow the FranklinCovey system with all detail on my computer, with specific measurements and reflections, in whatever platform (I use a spreadsheet for Projects, Goals and Missions). But on the streets, I need a practical tool. So I strip the system to bare essentials.
    3. What do I most miss from the paper binder era? The Daily Record of Events. Simple yet effective tool to concentrate pieces of info that would otherwise turn into loose papers of any size. OK, a couple of options are:
    3.1. DES Journal. This little app works on itself, but it uses the Calendar DB to store the entries. All of the latter are saved as Calendar Events (appointments with no hours assigned, start nor finish). If you choose to try it, install and before making any entry at all, find into it the option to choose a name for the records, I suggest DRE, and then all your entries will be found under such name in every day. It works in a very similar fashion as FranklinCovey's DRE Palm app, yet the latter stores the entries in a Journal DB instead. DES Journal writes a Calendar entry and the specific notes are in the appended note. You can even find a given entry in the Calendar, open the note, edit it, and close it, next, open DES Journal and voila!
    AAMOF, ever since the first Palm model I used, I created a Calendar series called DRE, and I used it as such. I eventually discovered DES Journal.
    3.2. eDiary: works pretty much like DES Journal, but it stores its entries in the Palm Memos, and in a non-automated manner, you have to order an Export. That said, there's it's single downturn. What you send to the Palm Memos, has no two-way edition. Anyway, try it if you feel like.
    4. Tasks: as of now, the single downturn in the Palm Tasks app, is that it doesn't have the ABC123 priority system. I warn you: any attempt to provide them of such, will bring you into yet another level of issues. Better, learn to live without it. I have *sigh*.
    The Palm Tasks app is really well suited for the FranklinCovey system, with the sole (and regretful) lack of the ABC123 priorities. As for the rest, I suggest the following: DO NOT ATTEMPT to follow FranklinCovey's own suggestions to use it, cause you'll only follow an approach based in form, and not in function. The FranklinCovey's suggestions involve using the Categories as the Monthly Task Lists, and one as the Daily Task List. I suggest instead, again, use the Categories for What Matters Most (the ruling spheres of your life), and the whole Task List as the Master Task List, with no distintion among months. Cause, what did you do at the end of the month with the remaining tasks? Well, write them again on the following month. OK, we're at the turn of the month, hmmm, yup, they're all re-written already, haha. You wish for a Daily Task List? Just, take any task, assign a date to it, and there you are, each time you do that, a DTL will be built for you. And any task not completed, will add up to those in the Last Days view. The single point to understand is that you will have neither a document nor a view with the title of DTL. And I don't care, it works just like that.
    5. For the case you wish to elaborate on your mobile system, and not till you go back to your computer, I suggest you use a spreadsheet, and carrry it in Documents To Go. Enough computing power to solve what the Palm PIM apps don't have.
    6. I use the Palm Shortcuts a lot. I have shortcuts like (i.e.) FC-MRE (meaning FranklinCovey - Monthly Record of Events), so I can tag a given entry in the Calendar, opening the note, and placing the shortcut. So this FranklinCovey document, we usually filled at the end of the month, is replaced by a Palm Search. I open the latter, jot "FC-MRE" and there it goes, not in a sheet of paper, or in a dedicated format (& I don't care). It's there at my fingers, when I need it. Most of the FranklinCovey system is either covered by the Palm OS apps, or surrounding resources can cover it, in not very convoluted fashions.

8. ayman10

Thanks hal for the rich information, you really saved me a lot of hasstle

9. siscool

siscool Never Forget

Hal, are your comments about using Plan Plus on the PDA or the desktop only?

10. siscool

siscool Never Forget

I mean, it reads like you are talking about using alternate programs on the PDA, but are the buggy-ness related to trying to sync, or is the Plan Plus buggy on the desktop as well? :(

11. hal

siscool, I apologize for a so delayed reply :eek:
    The bugginess of the FranklinCovey suites applies for the desktop side and/or its conduits, not for the mobile apps; though as you may already be imagining, what's the benefit of fully operational mobile apps... if they don't have a working counterpart in the desktop?

The people at FranklinCovey have created a whole saga of digital suites intended to get their planning system forward to the digital devices. Sadly, to say it in their own terms, I reckon they lost the Compass a long time ago. Their software is operational in the best of all cases; now, even operational, you discover it doesn't add much to what you can already do with a Palm OS device out-of-the box.

I only tried briefly the first of the saga: Ascend (mid '90s). In a sentence, just the planner without the paper. An incredible piece of work to give you a non-printed, on-screen, FranklinQuest planner. No automated tasks, no reminders, I mean, it was just the same thing that following the planner. Yet, with no net benefit for using a computer to do it. The FranklinCovey system can turn out into one personal bureaucratic method. The real benefit of carrying it into a digital device is the automation of processes and avoid work duplicity, not just the plain fact of saving paper. Paperwork is paperwork, whether you do it on paper or on a screen.

Next, I tried FranklinCovey FranklinPlanner for MS Outlook (late '90s). Impressive motivational contents, the biggest memory footprint I have ever seen in an Outlook add-on, and it didn't work. The mobile apps for Palm OS were wretched versions of the Palm OS PIM apps, that would have worked, I reckon, if they would have been properly coded. The bad thing, is that the installation required to replace the use of the Palm OS onboard DBs for another set of DBs, that included several enhanced capabilities (i.e., a Tasks DB that incorporated the columns for the ABC123 priorities). Yet, if you didn't clean your Palm OS device before syncing to the new system of Outlook and FranklinPlanner, the device is easily overflooded and you need to do a hard reset. And, the Tasks app never stopped creating ghost entries.

EDIT: next, I tried FranklinPlanner.com (early in the decade). A good attempt to make an online planner, but it was sadly non-compliant to Outlook or Palm OS devices. You actually had to migrate full platform without interoperability. And, they turned into a paid service, that eventually was discontinued. There is a new online SaaS with the same name, but I understand it's not a revamped version of the first, but a wholly new one.

Next, I tried FranklinCovey PlanPlus for MS Outlook, versions 4, 5 and 6. Suggestion: don't waste your time like I did. It's just not getting better. The people at FranklinCovey bundle a wretched version of Chapura PocketMirror Standard Edition, and trying to make the rest of your conduits sync (if the PIM apps conduits work, this is), will take you a month or so. The Outlook add-on hogs the computer, it crashes Outlook, and it just won't open all its contained apps, like the Master Projects. V. 6., announced as compliant to Outlook 2007, never opens several views based on html; I guess FranklinCovey never listened that Outlook 2007 doesn't work with MS-IE in the background but with MS Word, that's why it won't ever open them.

About the FranklinCovey PIM apps:

The first I tried were those bundled with FranklinPlanner. Modified versions of the Palm OS PIM apps that for one were never updated so it was easy you installed them on a Palm with better PIM apps, and thus you lost some functionality. The intention was good, but they didn't work fine.

With PlanPlus, FranklinCovey ditched the approach of abandoning all the Palm OS PIM DBs to replace them with yet another set of DBs. Instead, all the Palm OS PIM apps are kept as usual with the exception of the Tasks, that is replaced with an app and DB that enhances the user experience with the famed ABC123 priority system and daily views (however, said FC Tasks app is underfeatured in many other ways). The FranklinCovey apps for Palm OS comprise a Mission app, intended to have a mobile app to define the missions in your life and your mission statement(s); a Goals app, intended to abound in the goals, values and roles of the FranklinCovey advocate; a Project app, that is the mobile mirror to FranklinCovey's Project Plus for MS Outlook (bundled and incorporated in FC PlanPlus for MS Outlook), intended to develop projects from a simple approach and make its due activities spill into the Task List; said Task List; a Compass app, intended to mirror the Compass bookmark from the paper binder version; and a Daily Notes app, intended to replace the Daily Record of Events you used to find in the Daily View of the printed planner.

The mobile versions, as I said, work fine, but as long as you can't make the desktop side work, they are of little use. I mean, you would be filling up DBs of personal data that are gridlocked to your mobile device, with no chance to elaborate or backup to your computer. That's why, after so much software trial and research, I've fallen back to my own options to cover the FranklinCovey system without their software.

FranklinCovey has somewhat admitted its own defeat in its own turf. I think so, cause the desktop and the Palm OS platform are kinda their last attempts to create mirrored software versions of their iconic planning system. For the case you got a Windows for Mobile device, the mobile apps bundled to use with, are not FranklinCovey's, but a license of Pocket Informant, which is a very celebrated mobile PIM app by WebIS.net. And for Blackberry, I am yet to find out what it is. Besides, FranklinCovey now offers monthly-paid SaaS with online backup and collaboration, called FranklinPlanner Online, or something. I gather these can be wonderful tools, but they are not another version of their planning system.

12. siscool

siscool Never Forget

Hal, thank you. This explains a few things I'd noticed in my trial version of Plan Plus. Appreciate it.