Problem migrating Note Everything to new phone

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by abenn, Jan 8, 2021.

1. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

I've been using Note Everything, with the paid Pro add-on, for several years now. I like its simple layout and functionality. On getting a new phone with Android 10 I tried to find Note Everything in the Play Store, but can't find a plain vanilla version; just 'NE Google Drive free', which I've installed.

I've got a backup of my NE files on the SD card which I've moved from my old phone, but when I run NE Google Drive free it only gives me two options -- Import from Google Drive and Export to Google Drive. The three-dots menu at the top right of the screen only gives me the option to 'Change account'. First problem is, I can't figure out how to get my old backup onto Google Drive, and I can't figure out how to get into Note Everything Google Drive free to manually add new entries. Second problem is, if I select 'Export to Google Drive', select a Drive file, then try to select a Note Everything target folder, I get an error message 'This app is an add-on for Note Everything and it is not installed. Would you like to install it now? If I then click on 'Install now' I get 'No results found'.

Unless someone knows better, it seems to me that SoftExperience have given up on Note Everything. That being the case, can someone please recommend a good replacement with similar functionality please?

scjjtt and Hook like this.
  2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Abenn, have you looked in your Library (Play Store - > Menu - > My Apps & Games - > Library). Apps you've purchased or installed in the past appear here even if they're no longer published on the Play Store.

If the app is not there, there are websites that host apps that can be downloaded and installed. Apkmirror.com is one such site. The usual warnings apply: care must be taken before downloading or installing apps from unknown sources.

Once the app is installed, I guess you'll have to grant it access to the phone's storage so it can locate the files on the SD card.

Hope this helps.

3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Are they still alive? Well, this info on their home page hasn't been updated since 2014:

upload_2021-1-8_18-29-36.png

scjjtt, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  5. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I have Note Everything Pro on my phone. Basically it has all my notes back to 1998. I use to have a note for each month of each year.

Today, in the Android world, I use Evernote & Google Keep. One use to be able to have Evernote on many devices for free - now only 2. I have it on my tablet & my phone. It is more powerful than I need but its organization of notes are similar to Note Everything.

Google Keep is nice but I don't like the UI. I want my notes organized by file name.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  6. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks for those replies guys. I had emailed SoftExperience without any reply, so the probability that they're no longer in business is not surprising.

I wasn't aware of the Library option in Play Store but, having accessed it now, I see all my previous apps listed -- many that I'd forgotten about -- except for Note Everything.

The version of Note Everything that's in your second link, RickAgresta, is by a different publisher. I'll give it a try though because it's description is very similar to the original version I had. Otherwise I'll give Evernote a try, for my Play Store Library says I've had it installed before.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  7. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Update:

I copied my phone's SD card to my PC and then copied its Note Everything backup file to my Google Drive so I could check out NE Google Drive free, but when I tried to restore from my Drive it said it's an add-on and needs the original Note Everything, which doesn't exist in Play Store.

I'm now trying out the ZicZac Group version of Note Everything, and Evernote, transferring my important notes manually.

scjjtt likes this.
  8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I still think the best plain text notes app available is Simple Note. It is cloud-based, but it is very efficient, been around a long time, lets you use tags as categories, can do markup, it's cross platform (Windows, Android, iOS and Linux), you can use it and sync it to as many devices as you have and it's free. It's one of those very simple apps that does one thing very well... tagged/categorized flat notes. I wish there was a local version, but have never had a problem with it being cloud based. It also imports from Evernote (though I don't use Evernote, so can't say how well).

Simplenote is in the Play store but it also has a Windows version you can get here: https://simplenote.com/

The other notes app I use is a little pricier and you have to sideload it (but it is also cross platform) is Notecase Pro.

https://www.notecasepro.com/

This is a much more powerful notes program and is outline based, like Bonsai or Splashnotes, great for creating hierarchical notes with attachments. I use it for taking and maintaining notes on writing projects.

scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  9. abenn

abenn Mobile Deity

Thanks Hook, Simple Note sounds good apart from being cloud-based. I value the ability to backup to the cloud, but I don't want to have to rely on it. Presumably I can't even add/edit notes in a 'pending' or 'draft' file while I'm off grid, to be uploaded when I connect again?

The ability to have a Windows version on my PC is attractive though.

10. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Absolutely not. You can access and add to your notes at any time. It just won't sync until you are connected again.